New Post Advanced Search

Trifle

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
95 replies 14K views

Replies

• Hmm.

Chocolate goes quite well with raspberries, and, to a degree, strawberries too. What sort of fruit cocktail / jelly are you using?
  • no.1swimmumno.1swimmum Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    it would be nice with black cherries and a cherry jelly - make a black forest trifle!!
    Fibro-Warrior
  • it would be nice with black cherries and a cherry jelly - make a black forest trifle!!

Thanks but my lot don't like cherries.
    Jasmine
  • Hmm.

Chocolate goes quite well with raspberries, and, to a degree, strawberries too. What sort of fruit cocktail / jelly are you using?

Rasp jelly and a mixed fruit cocktail.
    Jasmine
  • sandy2_2sandy2_2 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    chocolate and orange go together well and oranges are festive as well. I´ve also done chocolate and black cherry trifle, chocolate swiss roll cut up (add a dash or kirsh or cherry brandy), cherry jelly from Lidls, jar of their hulled black cherries, when set add, chocolate instant whip or custard topped with cream or dessert topping, sprinkle finished trifle with chocolate vermecelli, chocolate flake and decorate with halved cherries (but they need to be glacè in case they run into the cream)
    Sandy

oops sorry just seen your lot don´t like cherries
  • foxglovesfoxgloves Forumite
    6.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I made a black cherry trifle once and it used chocolate swiss roll with that artificial white cream filling. You put that in the bottom in slices, then a drained tin of black cherries and if you want to use jelly, a black cherry one, then custard as normal (or you can melt some choclate in it to make chocolate custard) and cream on top with crushed chocolate flake. It was really nice.
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £418 2019 = £227 2020= £53
  • floydfloyd Forumite
    2.7K posts
    I'd eat the swiss roll and get Madeira cake ;) I love swiss roll
  • edited 22 December 2009 at 11:45AM
    BronnieBronnie Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 22 December 2009 at 11:45AM
    I'd say personally, I'd prefer not to use a combo of raspberry jelly, fruit cocktail and choc swiss roll. I've used the choc swiss roll before and if I remember rightly the cream filling sort of hung around in the jelly in greasy blobs too....may or may not be important, but thought I'd mention it!!

You can use madeira cake, or sponge fingers in trifle if you can get hold of them, but it would only take a few mins to whisk up and bake a 2 egg, no-fat sponge.
  • Doing one of Delia's new trifles (pannatone and zabbaglione) for Boxing Day or possibly next day if snow persists.
    Could I make it today and keep it in the fridge? Would it suffer?
    Thank you for this site :jNow OH and I are both retired, MSE is a Godsend
  • soappiesoappie Forumite
    6.6K posts
    It'll keep up to three days if you keep it in the fridge
    I am the leading lady in the movie of my life