Trifle

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
95 replies 14K views

Replies

• Pink.Pink. Forumite
    17.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi rev,

There's an earlier thread that should help so I've added your post to it to keep all the replies together.

Pink
  • l21ynzl21ynz Forumite
    133 posts
    Hiya does anyone have a recipe for 'normal' trifle please? I had a look through the indexed collection but never came across any, unless I missed it.

Many thanks
  • greenbeegreenbee Forumite
    14.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Layer of sponge, moistened with alcohol/fruit juice.
    Layer of fruit
    Layer of custard

That's pretty much it!
  • I always layer a dish with trifle sponge fingers, top with tinned strawberries (save juice to add flavour to jelly) pour strawberry jelly on top & after jelly has set I add either a pt. pink blancmange or pt. custard followed by whipping cream & top with chocolate flake - delicious
  • l21ynzl21ynz Forumite
    133 posts
    thank you both will give it a go tommorow
  • I know that this isn't what you would call an 'proper trifle recipe' but it's what I've always done. Real 'posh trifle' doesn't have jelly at all and includes proper whisked custard - but this is what my family have always enjoyed and Christmas is never the same without it :D.

Always use a large, pretty glass dish - often to be found in charity shops at this time of year.

I do a value swiss roll and add the drained contents of a tin of fruit cocktail.

Then make up a pack of jelly with a quarter pint of boiling water and then add the juices from the fruit cocktail - helps to cool it down a little. I like to keep the total amount of 'jelly liquid' to 3/4 pint to make sure it sets quite firm - don't like sloppy jelly lol.

Pour that over the swiss roll and fruit and leave to set in the fridge.

In the meantime, make up a pint of custard using custard powder (no tins or instant stuff or it will be sloppy instead of set). Allow that to cool and watch out for a skin forming (you may just have to remove the skin as it will spoil the custard).

When its cool but still a little runny, spread across the top of the set jelly and put back in the fridge.

Just before serving, whip up some double/whipping cream and swirl over the top of the custard - looks good to 'rough it up' a bit.

Sprinkle with whatever you fancy - I prefer crushed chocolate flake bars myself :D.

*You can add some sherry to the jelly instead of the fruit juices for grown ups.
    ** I've seen the jelly topped with Angel Delight instead of custard - makes it a bit 'lighter' to eat - but then the cream needs to be piped instead of spread.
    *** For any pernickety ones who don't like fruit/cake in their trifle, individual ones can be made in small fancy glass dishes (thinking No1 son here!).
  • FitzioFitzio Forumite
    2.2K posts
    I make mine like Olliebeak (although I have never added the fruit juice, must try that), and always use raspberry jelly (and an M&S swiss roll!!). Also agree that you have to use custard powder and milk. So much nicer than bought ones. Mmmm...
  • Should have added that, for some reason to do with enzymes I think, you can't get jelly to set with pineapple and/or pineapple juice. I think that there's another fruit the same (possibly kiwi fruit :confused:) so should be avoided apart from decoration.
  • Try chocolate swiss roll and tinned pears, topped with custard and cream :drool:
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • Penelope_PenguinPenelope_Penguin Forumite
    17.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped! Best Buy Bear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Olliebeak wrote: »
    Should have added that, for some reason to do with enzymes I think, you can't get jelly to set with pineapple and/or pineapple juice. I think that there's another fruit the same (possibly kiwi fruit :confused:) so should be avoided apart from decoration.

Fresh pineapple and kiwi inhibit the setting of gelatine (the enzymes in them break down the gelatine protein ;) ). However, the enzyme is destroyed by canning, so tinned pineapple should be OK :D

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf: