Faulty Oven - Currys

MouldyOldDough
MouldyOldDough Posts: 1,653
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
Forumite
We had a BEKO - AeroPerfect RecycledNet BBXIE22300S Electric Oven fitted by Currys in June
It has started to play up - it trips the main circuit breaker occasionally - when the oven is turned off - not every time.
What will Currys do when they come out ?
Will they replace it or will they argue that it is not faulty ?
I have emailed currys twice now and received "message read" each time - no more !!

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    What does it trip actually - RCD or MCB? 
    If it does this unpredictably, you need to collect some evidence that it's the oven to blame. What other devices are on the same circuit? 
  • grumbler said:
    If it does this unpredictably, you need to collect some evidence that it's the oven to blame. What other devices are on the same circuit? 

It takes out everything - so I assume MCB ?
    The whole house is on the same circuit
  • danrv
    danrv Posts: 1,382
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The oven is probably hard wired to a 13a fused spur. Switch it off or remove the fuse to isolate the oven.
    Just be sure that the ring main is off. 
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,458
    Forumite
    If everything trips, it sounds like the main RCD. So, 'leakage'.
    Could well be the oven - elements are prone to doing this - but could also be pretty much any other device or socket. We had a kitchen 'trip' a few months back, and I traced the culprit to the air fryer - which was backed on to the power socket, wet with air-fried condensation...

• Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,698
    Forumite
    danrv said:
    The oven is probably hard wired to a 13a fused spur. Switch it off or remove the fuse to isolate the oven.
    Just be sure that the ring main is off. 
    Absolutely.  I agree. 

Currys website for that model says,

ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION: This product requires professional installation to a 13 Amp fused spur by a qualified installer, such as one of our Currys experts.

The only thing I might disagree with is the word 'experts'. 'Currys experts' is an oxymoron.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 52,955
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 29 November 2023 at 10:37PM
    grumbler said:

No it's not. The kitchen or whole downstairs will be on a 13A ring main. There may be only 1 RCD, but there should be MCB's on each circuit. At least two power and two lighting circuits. unless a small flat. Post a pic of the CU with the cover down to show the circuits.
    Almost certainly a faulty element, easily changed.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • macman said:
    grumbler said:

No it's not. The kitchen or whole downstairs will be on a 13A ring main. There may be only 1 RCD, but there should be MCB's on each circuit. At least two power and two lighting circuits. unless a small flat. Post a pic of the CU with the cover down to show the circuits.
    Almost certainly a faulty element, easily changed.
    But when it trips we lose everything!! 
  • MouldyOldDough
    MouldyOldDough Posts: 1,653
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 30 November 2023 at 10:32AM
    Contacted Currys and was told to phone "white goods support"
    So tried Facebook and was told - after informing them that I was disabled and unable to speak on the phone ...

"I'm sorry, I wish I could help you with the same. However, we do not have the tools to book the repair/replacement from our end for security reasons. I would request you to walk in to any of the nearest currys store and the store team will help you with the repair/replacement."
    Then they cut me off !!
    I purchased the oven 4 months ago - online and expect support to be available online
    Next step - email the CEO !! not that I expect that to work
    and head of complaints
    [email protected]

• ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,458
    Forumite
    Hi Mouldy.
    If everything goes off, then it'll likely be the main CU power switch which will have an RCD built in to it. Sometimes CUs are split, with one half having RCD protection and others not.
    It is common for failed or failing oven elements to cause this - a wee current leakage between the blown element wire and the metal casing of the element. Very annoying. Sometimes it can be caused by damp, say in an oven that isn't used for many months.
    If it is an element, you can bet it won't be covered under warranty... What would you normally do if an element blew? Who would you call?
  • Hi Mouldy.
    If everything goes off, then it'll likely be the main CU power switch which will have an RCD built in to it. Sometimes CUs are split, with one half having RCD protection and others not.
    It is common for failed or failing oven elements to cause this - a wee current leakage between the blown element wire and the metal casing of the element. Very annoying. Sometimes it can be caused by damp, say in an oven that isn't used for many months.
    If it is an element, you can bet it won't be covered under warranty... What would you normally do if an element blew? Who would you call?

Of course an element would be covered under a oven warranty !!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback