🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Money Moral Dilemma: Should I ask for money if people charge their electric cars when they visit?

Options

Comments

• Goudy
    Goudy Posts: 1,553 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 November 2023 at 11:02AM
    Options
    It's not a question of inadequate infrastructure either, but the sheer convenience of charging at your destination at a rate possibly around a tenth of what you are paying at the motorway service area when you are on a long trip, and not having to make a stop if you don't need to. Actually my bladder has a shorter range than my car so it's never an issue!
    That was the point I was getting at.

The reason is convenience and cost.

But is it the car that's inconvenient and costly to charge?
    That's not the impression that's given by many posters and EV owners on this forum (and to be fair, other places)

There is a whole other thread running along side this and many others on the forum that seem to suggest there is no problem with convenience and costs of charging an EV, at home or out on road trips.

Yet here's another thread suggesting there is a need to charge up from 3 pin plugs through the window of a friends house for cost and convenience.

Something doesn't add up with all these posts regarding EV's.

Someone might comment that EV's have poor range and need time consuming and costly recharging and they are shot down as being wrong and anti EV.

Yet here's another thread with EV owners explaining the need to charge cheaply at someone home as elsewhere is expensive and inconvenient. 

I can't work out which is correct and why do posters get labelled anti EV for suggesting something EV owners admit to needing to do.
    Is there a label for those people as well?

• Just_An_Opinion
    Options
    Jason9091 said:
    nabob said:
    If you have a petrol car how are your visitors going to charge their cars as I believe you need a special charging port!  But yes I would certainly expect a bottle of wine or similar gesture for payment.
    The good old comment where the person answering has no valid input or knowledge on the subject, so decides to question the validity of the initial question.
    I now know why I closed my account.

The good old comment where the person answering comments on another person's comment and offers no valid input... etc
    I get the irony of my comment. I'm hoping you get the irony of yours and it was for comedy factor.
  • Just_An_Opinion
    Options
    With the price of these cars being astronomical I’m sure they can afford to pay you for electricity and they should not be asking to do this without paying for their fuel. What a liberty!! Would they have driven away from a petrol station without paying, when they had such a vehicle?  Surely they would not have asked you to fill it up for them so they could get home?Same thing.
    How are they charging at your property if you have a petrol car, so no charger presumably? No idea how they work as I hate theses cars (so dangerous for blind people, whom I worked with, as they can’t see cars and now can’t hear them either).
    Are people visiting you for free fuel?
    A bottle of wine would not wash with me, cold hard cash to pay the bills is essential.
    I am also very interested to know what is going to happen with these ridiculous electric cars when the national grid gets hacked or electricity goes off due to bad weather or problems? It’s going to happen so how will people get away with explaining that to their boss at work- sorry I can’t come in as my car is flat?!!! Just crazy and no better for the environment. The next generation of fly tippers will be dumping car batteries, not mattresses. As usual, nobody “in authority” has thought any of this through. Anyone recall Johnny Cabs from Total Recall? It’s all madness.

I don't know how they work... I hate these cars!

This sums up the way a lot of people think!
    "I don't understand it, therefore it's stupid!"
  • shaznish
    Options
    Most folks would offer to pay. The problem many of us have is accepting it! Thank you for raising this. It happened to me recently, I was taken by surprise and it simply never occurred to me to tell them to recharge on a charge point, nor that their journey home was only 30 miles. Now I am prepared for a second request so thank you for all insights. 
  • THFCLady
    Options
    I have an electric car, and when visiting, I try to charge up when I am nearly at my destination if it is a long distance (fortunately I have quite a good range on the car). If I do have to charge at someone's house, then I always offer to pay, regardless of whether it is in a suitable charge point or 3 pin plug. 
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,759 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Goudy said:

There would be opportunities to charge up before leaving home.
    There would be fast charging opportunities to fast charge on the way there AND the way back.
    And there are local on street chargers in most residential streets these days to charge while you are visiting.

Sure, but many people would rather their visitors stayed visiting them longer than having to leave earlier to charge on the way home. Especially since the cost of the charge is likely to be a tiny fraction of the cost of hosting them.

Do you charge visitors for toilet paper, drinks, etc?

• andyfras_2
    Options
    I own an EV, and I would always offer to pay at least the current rate in those circumstances.
  • bluelad1927
    bluelad1927 Posts: 377 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 8 November 2023 at 12:58PM
    Options
    stephgr8 said:
    No of course not. If they are visiting you for dinner will you be charging them for the food also? They are your family and friends. If they offer to pay then you may wish to accept but charging them is mean unless they are visiting you solely to charge up their cars.
    So are you saying when your friends visit you currently give them £20 to fill up their petrol tank on the way home?

Didn't think so. It has no comparison to feeding someone at your house whasoever
  • Goudy
    edited 8 November 2023 at 1:20PM
    Options
    Herzlos said:
    Goudy said:

There would be fast charging opportunities to fast charge on the way there AND the way back.
    And there are local on street chargers in most residential streets these days to charge while you are visiting.

Sure, but many people would rather their visitors stayed visiting them longer than having to leave earlier to charge on the way home. Especially since the cost of the charge is likely to be a tiny fraction of the cost of hosting them.

But a fast charge can be performed in minutes.
    A Tesla supercharger (Tesla seem the go to model for EV examples on this forum) can add around 170 miles to a Model 3 in 15 minutes.

That's minutes not hours and that certain wouldn't really impact a visit to a friend or relative.
    A quarter of an hour out of an evening, day or weekend visit is nothing, just leave at the normal time and get home 15 minutes late, why would you take that time off the visit? 

You like them enough to stay if you can charge your car off their mains but sod off early if you can't? Charming.

So EV owners might ask to charge their EV at a friends to save 1% of their day (and some money), that actually sounds really selfish to me.

As others like to point out, chargers of even the near future will be even faster, so the time would be much less.

If all is as it's reported to be by EV owners, there's just no need to do this type of recharge at somebody else's home.

I wouldn't charge anyone to charge their EV up at mine.
    It would be worth the cost to see them get it through the security gates, through the garden, up four flights of stairs and along the narrow balcony to get anywhere near the plug socket.
  • Goudy
    edited 8 November 2023 at 1:28PM
    Options
    Herzlos said:
    Goudy said:

I wouldn't be happy if they filled their car boot up with my 15 year old Macallen and 18 pack of Cushelle but they are welcome to drink it with me and have a generous wipe when they visit.

There is a distinct difference between enjoying a hosts drink, food and toilet paper and filling your car up with them on your way home and it's an even poorer argument.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure