Money Moral Dilemma: Should I ask for money if people charge their electric cars when they visit?

Comments

• if someone has come to visit you, and they happen to drive an electric car, then it’s a nice gesture to allow them to top up while they’re visiting. if they’re plugged into a 3 pin plug, it’s only costing you about 60p per hour - do you really want to charge them £1.80 if they visit for a few hours - you might get fewer visitors!  even if they are staying for longer, and they fill their car battery from empty, it’s likely to be £20 at most (and they would be there overnight on a three pin plug charge). i assume someone staying for long enough to do that has travelled some distance. would you also charge them for staying overnight? laundry? cost of hot water for a shower? cups of tea?
    if you have a home wall box then it must have cost you about £1000 to install - not sure i would want to be sending THAT message to my visiting family and friends (i can afford a home charger but i’m going to charge you to top up your car).
    if your visitors - whether friends or family - are just taking advantage (stopping en route just to charge) and you’re really not bothered if they visit or not, then charge them or just say no, and explain you’re struggling with household bills and can’t afford it.

• MacPingu1986
    MacPingu1986 Posts: 170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 8 November 2023 at 1:55PM
    stephgr8 said:
    No of course not. If they are visiting you for dinner will you be charging them for the food also? They are your family and friends. If they offer to pay then you may wish to accept but charging them is mean unless they are visiting you solely to charge up their cars.
    So are you saying when your friends visit you currently give them £20 to fill up their petrol tank on the way home?

Didn't think so. It has no comparison to feeding someone at your house whasoever
    No one is talking about giving visitors cash to spend on services at third party businesses on their way home.

The question is about using a (time free) facility *at the home* of someone they are visiting that creates a small cost to the homeowner. No different in principle to the cost of the toiler paper, snacks and/or drinks they may also enjoy when visiting, or indeed the electricity someone might use charging their phone or boiling the kettle.   

It's the social graces and customs that we let our friends and family benefit from without keeping a strict financial ledger of every cost incurred per visit. If it's a tiny amount you probably ignore it, if it's a small amount maybe they buy a beer next time your out, if it's greater than that eg: charging overnight you might start to roughly track it, or ask for a tenner etc... 

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Only if they have a wall box to allow 7 kWh charging.
    If not charge up elsewhere. Granny charger is simply not worth the gain in mileage.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Goudy said:
    Herzlos said:
    Goudy said:

There would be opportunities to charge up before leaving home.
    There would be fast charging opportunities to fast charge on the way there AND the way back.
    And there are local on street chargers in most residential streets these days to charge while you are visiting.

Sure, but many people would rather their visitors stayed visiting them longer than having to leave earlier to charge on the way home. Especially since the cost of the charge is likely to be a tiny fraction of the cost of hosting them.

Do you charge visitors for toilet paper, drinks, etc?

But a fast charge can be performed in minutes.
    A Tesla supercharger (Tesla seem the go to model for EV examples on this forum) can add around 170 miles to a Model 3 in 15 minutes.
    I don't think the Tesla supercharger users are the ones likely to be stealing their friends electricity, in that there's really no need to.

It's more likely to be the folk on older cars with slower charging smaller batteries, like a Zoe or a Leaf.

Say you've got something like a Leaf with 100 mile real world range, and you want to visit a family member about 60 miles away (thus leaving you 20 miles or about 7kwh short).  Your options realistically are:

* Park somewhere near your friend, use a slow public charger and walk over to them. Works fine if they are near a charger or you don't mind the walk.
    * Add a 20ish minute stop at a 22kw charger either on the way there or home
    * Plug in at your friends house whilst visiting, and consume about £4 of electricity over about 4 hours* via a granny plug.

If it were my friends visiting, I'd go with the latter and would be a bit annoyed if they did one of the other options.

* I'd assume someone making a 200 mile / 4 hour round trip is probably going to stay for a while.

• Goudy
    Goudy Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    So you have an inappropriate car for the trip would need to recharge like this?
    What's the usual answer to this on the forum, if you need a car that has a better range, hire an ICE?

I am not having a go, I am pointing out that there should be no need for this type of charging if we believe everything we've read that's been posted by EV enthusiasts on these forums.

Plus, if anyone dares to disagree, they are labelled anti EV.

I guess those with limited batteries are unimportant anyway, we can dismiss them as "edge cases", that seems to be the term used to dismiss others concerns.
  • A quick Google says it would cost £10-£20 which is a sizable amount.
    Did Google tell you what capacity your imaginary battery has, what sort of charge cable you used, how long you charged for, how many kWhs you put into the battery, and what energy tariff you used?
  • Ed264
    Ed264 Posts: 101 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Did we not have this dilemma not long ago?
  • Groom said:
    Most EV now have a good range, so unless your visitors have travelled a long way to visit and are staying with you, there shouldn't be any need for them to have to charge their vehicle. It seems a cheek if they only live a few miles away and expect to use your electricity. You say you don't have an electric car - have you had an electric point fitted? If not, the answer is a simple, "Sorry I don't have the correct power point." 
    You can charge a car off the mains with a 3-pin plug connector -- often referred to as a "granny charger".
  • Absolutely ask them for a contribution! In fact, it's disgusting that they don't immediately offer as soon as they ask you if they can plug their car in. 

It's one thing to visit someone's house and ask if they mind if you put your phone on charge - we all do it and it costs next to nothing in terms of electricity use. But to ask if they can charge their car for free??!!

I'd tell them to get stuffed. Or say, "Yes, if you go down the road to the petrol station and bring me a gallon can of unleaded back."
    That's about £7 Keithy. 

If your guest had also brought along a seven quid bottle of wine to honour your hospitality, would that balance things out, in your opinion? 

Or would you not even bother to get out of bed in order to answer the door to admit a miserable tightwad who won't even spend a tenner on a bottle of plonk? 

• Goudy said:
    So you have an inappropriate car for the trip would need to recharge like this?
    What's the usual answer to this on the forum, if you need a car that has a better range, hire an ICE?

I am not having a go, I am pointing out that there should be no need for this type of charging if we believe everything we've read that's been posted by EV enthusiasts on these forums.

Plus, if anyone dares to disagree, they are labelled anti EV.

I guess those with limited batteries are unimportant anyway, we can dismiss them as "edge cases", that seems to be the term used to dismiss others concerns.
    It's not inappropriate because there are numerous charging solutions that make the trip perfectly manageable - Herzlos listed them above. Someone with a small low range EV probably uses it for short local drives the vast majority of the time where it's small, light, useful, cheap etc...

There isn't a "need" to charge at a friends house (you could charge nearby, or leave earlier and charge on the way home), but it makes it super easy and a nice thing to do, to just let someone charge if you have the facilities.

I'm imagining a quick visit to Goudy's house by one of his friends now....

Friend: "Mind I make a cup of coffee Goudy?"

Goudy: "Why? What is the need? didn't you have a cup of coffee at home before you left?"

Friend: "No, but..."

Goudy: "Does your house not have a kettle?"

Friend "Well it does, but..."

Goudy "Do you *know* how much this unnecessary & wasteful use of *my* electricity would cost?

Friend "No but I just thought...."

Goudy "I see no need why I should subsidize your selfishness! If you want a coffee I suggest you leave immediately and purchase one on your way home"

Friend "You might be onto something there..."  

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure