Money Moral Dilemma: Should I ask for money if people charge their electric cars when they visit?

Comments

• I don’t have an electric vehicle, does that mean I can’t comment?
     Is it correct that an EV can receive a slow charge via a 3 pin 13A extension lead?
    I’m not looking forward to being forced to purchase an EV, it sounds very inconvenient with a low range, having to top up at family I visit and the constant worry that I won’t make it home
    If someone asked to top up his EV while visiting me?. Yes of course, he would have my sympathy. Soon we all will be having to do it
  • I can't believe anyone would seriously do this. My son has an electric car and he would not dream of asking me if he could charge up. He charges up before he comes to me or after he leaves. I have often asked him if he would like to - i have panels but it's not always that light. But he would not consider leaching off anyone else's electricity. Who are these people?!
  • It's not difficult. What do you want?
    If it was my daughter, I would say "You can have some free electric"
    If it was a friend who has money I would say "How much do you want? £5, £10 or £20 worth?"
  • Of course you shouldn’t ask them to pay to charge their car. You should flatly refuse to allow them to charge it. Electric cars are intended to drastically reduce our freedom of movement, until it is finally removed altogether in the totalitarian plan for the future. You must not agree to be a part of that process by encouraging electric car use. As Bartlett stated in one of the leaders’ debates before the 2019 General Election, “Electric cars are not the solution. The ownership and use of private cars will have to be limited.” And we all know to whom those restrictions will not apply. That none of the other leaders challenged this view was no coincidence. These electric so-called cars aren’t useless by accident. There is a purpose to it, and it isn’t for the benefit of the vast majority of the people.

• Tell them where the nearest charging port is before they set off as you do not or no longer have a charging port in your garage at home, and you would hate them to be stuck, then stick a book case in front of said charging port or have it removed or leave it in full view up to you, they will get the message. 
  • Abbafan1972
    Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,887 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I’m sure this has been asked before? 
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £43,915.98
  • kbskylady
    kbskylady Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 November 2023 at 8:06AM
    I believe you answered your own question (the comment about your petrol car). Yes, charge them - we all know how expensive utilities are now, so why should anyone get a freebie at your expense? However, I believe one does need a special port to charge electric cars (a neighbour across the road has one, and he puts his vehicle on charge overnight) so how will they be charging up if you don't have one? I'm assuming there's no electric recharging point at a garage close to you that they could go to? I'm also faintly surprised nobody has offered to pay, but then some people will grab anything gratis if they can.
  • Hodgie said:
    Reselling electrical energy without a licence is illegal unless you fit certain criteria.
    When you purchased an electric car you probably assesed the pros and cons before you bought it.  So did your visitors.  If they ask to use your charger, either they can't be bothered to find a public charger or they're hoping you will charge a nominal fee or give to them for free.  You also have to wonder whether that is one of the reasons you see them so frequently. 
    The solution is easy.  You tell them that you have a tariff that gives you very cheap electricity overnight (perhaps 1am - 5am) but charging during the day the rate is prohibitively expensive (perhaps £15/hour for a 7kw charger) so you simply can't afford it.
    If you don't have an electric car and charger, the above doesn't apply, so it dangerous to trail a lead out of the window or door without a protective device and such actions make the property insecure.
    If all the above fails then it's an "of course you can't, charge your car in an appropriate place".

You don’t understand the rules. The controls on reselling of electricity apply to dodgy landlords and only applies to buildings. If you look at Ofgem’s guidance, this does not apply to EV charging as cars are not buildings. That’s how companies providing public chargers can set a higher rate. 
  • I don’t have an electric vehicle, does that mean I can’t comment?
     Is it correct that an EV can receive a slow charge via a 3 pin 13A extension lead?
    I’m not looking forward to being forced to purchase an EV, it sounds very inconvenient with a low range, having to top up at family I visit and the constant worry that I won’t make it home
    If someone asked to top up his EV while visiting me?. Yes of course, he would have my sympathy. Soon we all will be having to do it
    Yes, you can charge from a standard household plug but it has to via a proper EV charging lead, known as a granny charger. It is very slow, could take 24 hours to fully charge the car. There is the danger the socket might overheat though. I have an EV, I just plan journeys to take account of fast public chargers. 
  • addyann
    addyann Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes. You didnt pay for their petrol
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills