Money Moral Dilemma: Should I ask for money if people charge their electric cars when they visit?

Comments

• Petriix
    Petriix Posts: 2,039 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I've charged my EV at four different people's houses. On each occasion I've offered to pay and estimated the cost. Each time the payment has been refused. 
  • Most of the comments here are by people without electric cars as they don't understand how they work "check a smart meter", "how much would they use"... etc etc.
    The car informs them of how much they've used. If the homeowner doesn't own an electric vehicle it's only charging at 3kw per hour on a household plug. 
    £1 per hour (ish) or charge them if they're staying overnight. They are supposedly your friends/family so deal with it and speak to them, or they are staying for a few hours then get over it as its a couple of quid.

The main issue here is to stop asking Forums for advice when a simple chat with friends/family would rectify the issue immediately.
    You feel strongly enough to message the world about it but not strongly enough to raise it with a friend!

• boxosox
    boxosox Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Post
    Hodgie said:
    Reselling electrical energy without a licence is illegal unless you fit certain criteria.
    When you purchased an electric car you probably assesed the pros and cons before you bought it.  So did your visitors.  If they ask to use your charger, either they can't be bothered to find a public charger or they're hoping you will charge a nominal fee or give to them for free.  You also have to wonder whether that is one of the reasons you see them so frequently. 
    The solution is easy.  You tell them that you have a tariff that gives you very cheap electricity overnight (perhaps 1am - 5am) but charging during the day the rate is prohibitively expensive (perhaps £15/hour for a 7kw charger) so you simply can't afford it.
    If you don't have an electric car and charger, the above doesn't apply, so it dangerous to trail a lead out of the window or door without a protective device and such actions make the property insecure.
    If all the above fails then it's an "of course you can't, charge your car in an appropriate place".

Give over.

Whilst I don't doubt that's technically true, in the case of this scenario there's no way a court would even entertain such a case.
  • A quick Google says it would cost £10-£20 which is a sizable amount.
    You need to do a slow Google. 
    £0.84p per hour on a 3kW charger. 
    Therefore £10-£20 means they're plugged in for 12-24 hours.
    If someone is staying at your house for that long;
    You either know them well enough to ask them for the money........ or
    You know them well enough to not care about the money.
  • nabob said:
    If you have a petrol car how are your visitors going to charge their cars as I believe you need a special charging port!  But yes I would certainly expect a bottle of wine or similar gesture for payment.
    The good old comment where the person answering has no valid input or knowledge on the subject, so decides to question the validity of the initial question.
    I now know why I closed my account.

• nabob said:
    If you have a petrol car how are your visitors going to charge their cars as I believe you need a special charging port!  But yes I would certainly expect a bottle of wine or similar gesture for payment.
    The good old comment where the person answering has no valid input or knowledge on the subject, so decides to question the validity of the initial question.
    I now know why I closed my account.

The good old comment where the person answering comments on another person's comment and offers no valid input... etc
  • It really depends on how often it happens. If it's only once or twice a year when family/friends are visiting from far away and staying overnight, it seems very petty to charge them. I guess people like that would also think about giving guests a bill for food, heating, washing etc as well.
  • bikaga
    bikaga Posts: 157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Depends on so many factors... who they are, what your relationship is, if they *have* to charge at yours, how much charge they're using, what you're getting from them visiting you...

For example if someone's going to the bother of driving for hours to see you and brings a bottle of wine or some treats, is the £10-£20 you spend on energy worth it?

If they don't live that far away and visit weekly and charge the battery to full each time... definitely ask the, to contribute!
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I already charge visitors for parking enforced by wheel clamping. In December I stick a parking meter on the roof.  Free charging? You got to be kidding me.
  • ripongrammargirl
    ripongrammargirl Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 November 2023 at 12:24AM
    With the price of these cars being astronomical I’m sure they can afford to pay you for electricity and they should not be asking to do this without paying for their fuel. What a liberty!! Would they have driven away from a petrol station without paying, when they had such a vehicle?  Surely they would not have asked you to fill it up for them so they could get home?Same thing.
    How are they charging at your property if you have a petrol car, so no charger presumably? No idea how they work as I hate theses cars (so dangerous for blind people, whom I worked with, as they can’t see cars and now can’t hear them either).
    Are people visiting you for free fuel?
    A bottle of wine would not wash with me, cold hard cash to pay the bills is essential.
    I am also very interested to know what is going to happen with these ridiculous electric cars when the national grid gets hacked or electricity goes off due to bad weather or problems? It’s going to happen so how will people get away with explaining that to their boss at work- sorry I can’t come in as my car is flat?!!! Just crazy and no better for the environment. The next generation of fly tippers will be dumping car batteries, not mattresses. As usual, nobody “in authority” has thought any of this through. Anyone recall Johnny Cabs from Total Recall? It’s all madness.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback