Money Moral Dilemma: Should I get a Disabled Person's Railcard when my condition doesn't affect me?

Options

Comments

• WYSPECIAL
    WYSPECIAL Posts: 661 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes. If you’re entitled to it apply for it.
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,841 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 November 2023 at 12:17PM
    Options
    No, because based on the information provided, and added, you do not meet the criteria and so this would be fraud. I believe MSE staff on this occasion are incorrect and the dilemma is unwittingly not as presented consequently. While you appear to have evidence that could be used to satisfy eligibility you do not meet the criteria for that evidence to be used and a helpful member above shows additionally that during the application process this will be made clear as it is in the link provided by MSE admin.

Caveat - without direct ability to query your circumstances and get any further information which could reveal eligibility there's not much more that can be said unfortunately.

Otherwise if one was to be eligible then absolutely if you think you'll get value out of it beyond its up front cost then go for it. Having any railcard does not prevent others from getting such if they too are eligible and pay the fee. Unfortunately due to the poor state of rail services and (more positively!) current heavy reductions in bus ticket prices I suspect many with railcards generally may not be getting value out of them - I estimate that in the last 5 years of having a Disabled Railcard I have only gotten back savings beyond the cost of the card in 2 years. As I previously advised, it is also worth repeating (given this is MSE!) that knowing your travel plans weeks in advance ultimately is the biggest way to save money on rail tickets under our chaotic ticketing system. e.g. My wife recently had to travel Cornwall to London Heathrow at the last minute: ticket cost >£100, cost with railcard (she doesn't have one but if she did) £70, cost with knowledge of trip 6 weeks in advance (full price) £45.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    TBH I don't even like he premiss of the question, even if the person did actually qualify.
    No one should be judged on using a disabled railcard if they are legally entitled to one, and the same applies to any disabled benefits.
    This forum is to help save disabled people money and get help them get what they are entitled to, not to be judgemental or question if they really need the help.
    Agreed. 

Although I am heartened to see that the overwhelming consensus here is 'if you're eligible, go for it' :)

And I can understand someone wanting reassurance because of the strong judgemental undercurrent of society in … well, I was going to say the UK but let's be honest, it's mainly England, stoked by the English people in charge.

Let's hope the person who asked the question feels reassured that they definitely should make use of whatever discounts and benefits they are entitled to.
  • pammieb
    Options
    I see absolutely no reason why you shouldn't  have this Railcard, as you legally qualify for it.

We are in a cost of living crisis and the money that you save can be put to good use on other things that you do need. 

Please don't feel guilty. Bless you & and enjoy it! 

• gocurlygirl
    Options
    I also have epilepsy, and was unable to continue working because of it.
    I do have a Disabled Persons Railcard but,despite being able to drive now, I am anxious about driving a long distance to see my elderly parents (over 140 miles away).
    If I get overtired I am more likely to have a seizure.
    It makes good sense to me to be able to use it.
    It may prevent problems which I wish to avoid. It also means I can see my parents and other family and friends.
    So I am of the opinion that,if you wish to, you should have it and use it.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,078 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pammieb said:
    I see absolutely no reason why you shouldn't  have this Railcard, as you legally qualify for it.

We are in a cost of living crisis and the money that you save can be put to good use on other things that you do need. 

Please don't feel guilty. Bless you & and enjoy it! 

They don't qualify as they drive. Unless they're on pip 
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,878 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dtl said:
    If you have a driving license then you are not entitled to the disabled person's rail card.   The rules state to qualify, you must have epilepsy and 'You either have repeated attacks even when receiving drug treatment; or are currently prohibited from driving.'

That's misleading. I have a driving license and i've had a disabled persons railcard in the past.
    But is your disability something other than epilepsy?
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,878 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    shoneyco said:
    I had a similar dilemma when I first realised that I qualified for a disabled persons rail card due to my hearing impairment. Well hearing isn’t immediately related to mobility is it? My daughter helped at that time by asking a simple question: Are the disabled persons railcards rationed at all? ie might my getting one mean another person (maybe with a more ‘relevant’ disability) missed out? The answer is definitely not. So I applied, got one and use it regularly. 
    I developed a hearing impairment slightly over a year ago. I recently heard that this might make me eligible for a disability railcard but I don't feel that my impairment is sufficient. It doesn't matter now because I now have a senior railcard and an Oyster 60+. I do also take medication for epilepsy but have been seizure free for many years so have never considered applying for that. I assumed I would need to be having active seizures.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    shoneyco said:
    I had a similar dilemma when I first realised that I qualified for a disabled persons rail card due to my hearing impairment. Well hearing isn’t immediately related to mobility is it? My daughter helped at that time by asking a simple question: Are the disabled persons railcards rationed at all? ie might my getting one mean another person (maybe with a more ‘relevant’ disability) missed out? The answer is definitely not. So I applied, got one and use it regularly. 
    The reasoning behind people with hearing loss/impairment being eligible is it makes it difficult to hear announcements (like a sudden change of platform) or emergency information. 
    I have my railcard for auditory processing disorder, long before I became physically disabled.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure