Money Moral Dilemma: Should I get a Disabled Person's Railcard when my condition doesn't affect me?

Options
MSE_Kelvin
MSE_Kelvin Posts: 341 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
edited 31 October 2023 at 4:21PM in Disability money matters
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I qualify for a Disabled Person's Railcard to get 1/3 off rail fares as I have epilepsy. Yet I've not had a fit for over a decade and it doesn't affect my life, apart from having to renew my driving licence every three years. I feel somehow I don't deserve the railcard because my ability to travel isn't affected, and I can afford full-price fares. Should I apply?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't answer Money Moral Dilemma questions as contributions are emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. Remember that behind each dilemma there is a real person so, as the forum rules say, please keep it kind and keep it clean.

B) If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
:/ Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

Comments

• TheMilkmansDad
    Options
    yes, why on earth wouldn't you?
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    Are you eligible?  That's the only relevant question.
  • Newcad
    Newcad Posts: 928 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    As above-
    If you meet the eligibility criteria then you can claim the benefit/advantage.
    After that it is your choice whether to take/ use it or not to use it.
    Personally I would say apply for the railcard and then it is your choice whether to use it or not.
    PS. I have a NCTS bus pass because although I have not had a daytime fit in years I am still prohibited from holding a driving licence.
  • prettyandfluffy
    Options
    Yes, if you meet the eligibility criteria then why not?
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,854 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
     I have epilepsy and qualify but wouldn't get one for epilepsy if my circumstances were as yours are. 

Here is the criteria...

Have epilepsy 

You either have repeated attacks even when receiving drug treatment; or are currently prohibited from driving

But do you get PIP as you can qualify that way. 

• HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,206 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 31 October 2023 at 9:08PM
    Options
    Do what you feel is right for yourself.

I'm glad this forum allows moral questions and viewpoints on how it relates to money. As many people are concerned if it morally right that a Government might change the rules just to save money.  So happy that this is the forum that people can have a viewpoint on this.

Let's Be Careful Out There
  • Tarasmum
    Options
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I qualify for a Disabled Person's Railcard to get 1/3 off rail fares as I have epilepsy. Yet I've not had a fit for over a decade and it doesn't affect my life, apart from having to renew my driving licence every three years. I feel somehow I don't deserve the railcard because my ability to travel isn't affected, and I can afford full-price fares. Should I apply?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't answer Money Moral Dilemma questions as contributions are emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. Remember that behind each dilemma there is a real person so, as the forum rules say, please keep it kind and keep it clean.

B) If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    :/ Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.
    if you are entitled to it then buy it, there may be a time when you can’t afford the full price, these things are there to help people plus with the disabled card your “carer” (companion) is also entitled to free or reduced fares. Go for it!!
  • dirtmother
    Options
    I don't see this as being any different from being eligible for one of the other railcard categories (assuming you have checked that you can meet their criteria/evidence requirements and as @marcia_ suggests, that may not be the case) or making use of a discount in a shop if you can afford full price.
    It's not even as if the card is free.
  • Chris_in_Ashtead
    Options
    A Disabled Persons Railcard still costs £20 a year, so it's not like you're taking advantage and getting something for free.

I'd say go for it. There are many other groups of people who are using Railcards, so why shouldn't you?

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback