Money Moral Dilemma: Should I get a Disabled Person's Railcard when my condition doesn't affect me?

Options

Comments

• MSE_Kelvin
    MSE_Kelvin Posts: 345 MSE Staff
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 2 November 2023 at 3:26PM
    Options
    It's a load of nonsense and I still do not believe the dilemma is authentic.
    [Deleted by Forum Team]

Hello there @HillStreetBlues and @Muttleythefrog,

Thanks for joining in the discussion.

The authenticty of the Money Moral Dilemma is often questioned, but as the person who usually looks into them and writes them up, I can only assure you that's not the case - we get sent so many that thankfully we're never in the position that we don't have a whole host to choose from. (We sometimes get sent ones that are a bit too fruity for us to use too...)

Obviously we wouldn't reveal the identity of those who send them in, but this one was sent earlier in the year and the sender said they were eligible due to having epilepsy, being on medication and have a medical exemption certificate - this means they can get a Disabled Persons' Railcard, as you can see from the eligibility criteria on the Disabled Persons' Railcard website.

If there's one thing we do at MSE (other than try to save people money), it's research :)

Hope that clears things up for you both - thanks for using the site,

MSE Kelvin
  • ginger_chocolate
    Options
    As an epileptic myself, and not being allowed to drive, I feel this person is very lucky to be so long without a fit therefore I would say let the people who do need it, have it.  Without going too dismal, though - until you are told you cannot drive, enjoy what you are allowed  -  I am not allowed.
    Far clarity, someone getting any railcard will not prevent others getting one. People can acquire railcards by paying for them and meeting any criteria specific to the railcard type. There are no quotas.
    I work for an organisation where people can apply for special benefits if they meet disability-based criteria. A lot of people say "I didn't apply because I didn't want to take it from someone who needs it more"

Our response is always that they absolutely should apply, because our funding for the following year takes account of the number of people who took up the offer this year. You're not taking anything from anyone. In fact, you may be doing future applicants a favour.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 2 November 2023 at 5:01PM
    Options
    [Deleted by Forum Team]

The authenticty of the Money Moral Dilemma is often questioned, but as the person who usually looks into them and writes them up, I can only assure you that's not the case - we get sent so many that thankfully we're never in the position that we don't have a whole host to choose from. (We sometimes get sent ones that are a bit too fruity for us to use too...)

Obviously we wouldn't reveal the identity of those who send them in, but this one was sent earlier in the year and the sender said they were eligible due to having epilepsy, being on medication and have a medical exemption certificate - this means they can get a Disabled Persons' Railcard, as you can see from the eligibility criteria on the Disabled Persons' Railcard website.

If there's one thing we do at MSE (other than try to save people money), it's research :)

MSE Kelvin
    But the criteria for epilepsy from that link are

"You either have repeated attacks even when receiving drug treatment; or
    are currently prohibited from driving"

In the dilemma they say "Yet I've not had a fit for over a decade and it doesn't affect my life, apart from having to renew my driving licence every three years."

So they don't actually qualify under the epilepsy criteria.

They might have the evidence of being on medication, but they don't still have seizures despite being on medication nor are they prohibited from driving.

If they receive PIP and qualify under that criterion, no problem.  (Unlikely though, unless the medication has significant side effects or that have any other disabilities.)  But they don't qualify just due to having epilepsy.

So, authentic - fine, no problem.  Still poorly researched though.
  • SavvySlut
    Options
    Yes totally. You are eligible. If you feel you don’t need the money then donate any ticket savings to an epilepsy charity 
  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,239 Forumite
    edited 2 November 2023 at 10:51PM
    Options
    [Deleted by Forum Team]

MSE Kelvin

I think you forgot to read your own link that you posted.

Proof of eligibility

Have epilepsy 

You either have repeated attacks even when receiving drug treatment; or are currently prohibited from driving

I've not had a fit for over a decade

renew my driving licence every three years.
    So clearly doesn't fall in either category.

One thing many of us posters do is our research, as no one is always correct

EDIT. Sorry Spoonie for repeating much of your post,  but as I was named wanted a direct reply.

Let's Be Careful Out There
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    [Deleted by Forum Team]

MSE Kelvin

EDIT. Sorry Spoonie for repeating much of your post,  but as I was named wanted a direct reply.

No worries at all!  Plus you put it much more clearly and succinctly than I did.
  • HillStreetBlues
    Options
    No worries at all!  Plus you put it much more clearly and succinctly than I did.
    That's a first, it's normally the other way round :)

I might have climbed onto my high horse, but it annoys me greatly to think they would give a disabled railcard out that easily. It plays into the whole " it's so easy to get a railcard and other disabled "benefits", when those of us who have gone though the process know nothing could be further from the truth.
  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,239 Forumite
    edited 2 November 2023 at 11:49PM
    Options
    Just to show what happens when you apply for a Railcard

So only way to get one in this scenario is to lie about having repeated attacks and then submit the Exemption Certificate, and that is fraud. 

Should there really be a "shall I use my fraudulently obtained Railcard as a  "moral dilemma"?
  • GraceDalton
    Options
    Go for it  - you could use the money saved to make an amazing difference helping someone less fortunate to get around, for instance https://gifts.concern.org.uk/gifts/bicycle or https://www.goodgifts.org/step-up-for-african-amputees-1

• Lord_Claus
    Options
    Most definitely get the rail card. I qualify as I have hidden disabilities. A reduced level of hearing in left ear. Also When my back decides to go into spasm, it causes me huge pain & reduces my ability to walk & stand. So I have a disabled persons rail card. Yet to look at me, you could say there's nothing wrong. I initially got my rail card due to needing hearing aid for left ear.

You need to have the card, as you don't know when or where you are likely to go into a seizure, so you need extra help. The rail card can be added to your oyster card and give you money off during off peak travel. It's worth paying for a 3 year card, and just using it. Definitely worth having the card.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback