LBG paper statement "issues"

I've just had interesting emails from Halifax, Bank of Scotland and Lloyds saying "We’re experiencing some issues and may not be able to send as many by post as we normally do. As you use Internet Banking, we’ll only send your statements to you digitally."  This takes effect from 1 November 2023.

The email also makes the vague promise "We’ll let you know as soon as we’re able to offer you paper statements again."

So I wonder what "issues" could possibly mean a banking group the size of LBG is incapable of doing the fairly basic banking task of providing customers who want one with a paper statement?

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,345
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I wonder if it has something to do with the fact they don't want the cost of printing and postage?

More chat here....Credit card company forcing online statements — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,241
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    At 75p for second class postage, you can see where they are coming from
  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,527
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    fatbelly said:
    Very unlikely they pay as much as 75p postage.

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,938
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Section62 said:
    fatbelly said:
    Very unlikely they pay as much as 75p postage.
    Indeed, although the fully-loaded unit cost of sending out paper documents will probably exceed that by some margin when all the machinery, exception handling, ink, paper, envelopes, distribution, etc, is included!
  • Lions_89
    Lions_89 Posts: 151
    First Post
    Forumite
    I’d be happy to pay
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,226
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    They don’t even seem to say that you can order a one off paper statement if required (as you used to be able to do free of charge if you had online statements.) I hope no one is wanting original copies of ID in the near future! 

Institutions requiring such while being unwilling or unable to provide the same for their customers feels like something that needs to be looked into. Certified copies can be expensive and/or difficult to obtain - a Post Office certification isn’t always accepted by the institution asking for it and there is still a cost.
  • jaxkesa
    jaxkesa Posts: 341
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've been trying to contact them about it but can't seem to find an email address. Replied to the email but got rejected. Online banking doesn't seem to give you an option to email or send a message and the app is just an automated bot.

Been with Lloyds for 14 years but their service seems to have gone downhill. Think it might be time to find another bank.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,938
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Kim_13 said:
    Institutions requiring such while being unwilling or unable to provide the same for their customers feels like something that needs to be looked into.
    https://www.lloydsbank.com/legal/proof-of-identity.html
    • We accept statements printed from Internet Banking.
  • jaxkesa said:
    I've been trying to contact them about it but can't seem to find an email address. Replied to the email but got rejected. Online banking doesn't seem to give you an option to email or send a message and the app is just an automated bot.

Been with Lloyds for 14 years but their service seems to have gone downhill. Think it might be time to find another bank.
    The Support option in the app will get you, via Other contact options,  to an Account query page which has a "Call us" button. 

Message bots will generally connect to a person if you just type "talk to person" or suchlike a few times.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,846
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    jaxkesa said:

I have been with them for over 50 years and I can absolutely guarantee that the service has declined! All I ever get from Lloyds is less service for the same cost, this latest letter being just the most recent example.

I very nearly 'changed the habits of a lifetime' and switched banks a few months ago when they closed the last branch in my area but the thing stopping me is that I will eventually need statements from previous years to complete my tax returns (I operate on an unusual tax year). How long would I be able to access Lloyds statements for were I to switch to another outfit?   
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback