🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Money Moral Dilemma: Should I give my cheating ex his half of a council tax refund?

Options

Comments

• andybar
    Options
    Tell him that you've spent the refund and STI checks and treatments !
  • AM23
    AM23 Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    No!
    He cheated, hence he's not there any longer. Plus, if you live by yourself you need to pay 75% of CT. So why giving him 50%?
    Don't lose sleep on it, he wasn't fair or honest with you...do you really need/want to get in touch with such a person?? 
  • Suseeanne
    Options
    NO... he doesn't know and doesn't deserve it 
  • Yorktyke
    Options
    If Council Tax in your name then keep the refund.
  • Ringo90
    Ringo90 Posts: 70 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    People calling her a thief or vindictive, I wonder how many of you would really go to your cheating partner of years ago and say "I know you didn't care about me, about our relationship or the fact that I even lost my home and money because of you, but here's some money back from the council". I wonder.
  • croatoanne
    Options
    I'm sure the people commenting to give him his share have never been cheated on or are male and biased. You needing to move out of the place because of the relationship breakdown is due to him - there was a cost he passed to you for that. So absolutely keep it. And if anything, he should be compensating you more for all the time and anguish the whole break-up process would have cost.
  • I would sit quietly and ask yourself what do I think is the right way to act. Everyone will have a unique take and I think it will be a good exercise to listen to your heart and then act. You know the answer! Nice problem to have even tho!
  • and_surf
    Options
    The fact that he cheated on you is irrelevant. I’d be more inclined to ask yourself what his response would be if you asked him to contribute towards an underpayment. He’d more than likely say the bill was in your name so you deal with it. Keep the whole refund.
  • Skiddaw1
    Skiddaw1 Posts: 2,045 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I don't usually comment on these 'moral dilemma' threads (never sure they're real anyway) but in this case I'll make an exception. Keep it and enjoy it. Karma works both ways.
  • DillyDB
    Options
    Give half to charity and never mention it to him, chances are he would keep it all if the position was reversed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure