Money Moral Dilemma: Should I give my cheating ex his half of a council tax refund?

Options
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I just received a letter saying I'm to be refunded £179 for overpaid council tax from 2016/17. I lived in that property with my now ex-boyfriend and we split the bill equally, though it was in my name. Since then he has cheated on me, which lead to us breaking up and moving out. Would you let him know about the refund if you were in my situation, or would you keep it all?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't answer Money Moral Dilemma questions as contributions are emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. Remember that behind each dilemma there is a real person so, as the forum rules say, please keep it kind and keep it clean.

B If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
 Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.
Follow MSE on other Social Media: MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram, Threads, Join the MSE ForumGet the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mailReport inappropriate posts: click the report buttonFlag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

2702 Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes you should give him his share, Cheating has nothing to do with it.
  • frankstead
    Options
    Do the right thing. Do what you would like done to yourself. You will have to live with yourself afterwards. Be a good person
  • Southendormargate
    Options
    The answer is in the question. It is "his"
  • HannahNP
    HannahNP Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I do believe in karma as o have seen it many times in me snd others also and more importantly I believe in honesty and clear accounts when money is involved. 

Just transfer the money to his account and a quick message,  please see return of CT 2016/ 2017.

End of story, not all yours 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure