We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Money Moral Dilemma: Should I pay more for our holiday because it's one my partner won't like?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,646 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My OH and me rarely go abroad together, although we do usually holiday in this country together once a year. My OH is retired, I work full time.
    More often than not they will go off abroad with their grown up daughter for a holiday they are both interested in, or they go with friends, maybe 2 or 3 times a year. I go abroad about every 5 years with my OH, and it is somewhere we both want to go. Suits us fine.
    I'd find it weird if we had the exact same interests and wanted to go to all the same places, but equally I'm happy if they want to spend money on a holiday when it is only they who are interested. 
    Personally, I think it's perfectly healthy for a couple to holiday separately now and again if it's about seeing places you want to see and the other one isn't interested, as opposed to both sitting on a beach in 2 different countries. Saves a lot of money as well.  
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,434 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I’ve had some amazing holidays just because my husband is far more adventurous than me and has dragged me off to places I would never have considered choosing myself. Now I just put my trust in him and let him get on with it, with only a couple of restrictions that I’ve included due to bad experiences from previous holidays eg no more places that require malaria tablets.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Kimmie30
    Kimmie30 Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I say communicate this with your partner, show him the holiday, express how happy and excited you would be to do something you've been clearly wanting to do for a long time. If he throws a fit find someone else to go with maybe your best friend family member. Fair warning, this could put a rift between you but if they are no willing to compromise after you have done so many times, I'd count my blessings and move on!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback