IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

On duty NHS community Nurse

Options
I have a valid council parking permit that let's me park in private residents car parks while working. I recently got a ticket from PCM UK Ltd saying I did not get a valid permit from the resident (patient)
1. The patient did not tell me I needed a permit
2. My Council permit covers me for private parking spaces. I parked in a visitor space with my permit clearly showing
They rejected my appeal saying my Council permit makes no difference I needed one from the patient.
Could someone tell me is this true I'm loathed to pay for a parking ticket when I already have a Council permit covering me for this?

Comments

• B789
    B789 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 17 July 2023 at 3:45PM
    Options
    You should not pay anything to the scumbag PCM, an unregulated private parking company. It is not a "fine". It is a speculative invoice for an alleged breach of contract that you can fight if you follow the advice you will receive here.

First, can you definitely confirm that the permit the council have given you is valid when parking on private land? I am doubtful of that statement and I fear that you may be misinformed. If I'm wrong, then it will not be a problem but if true, you will have to jump through the hoops set by the ex-clamper scammers.

Have you written to your MP and complained about this outrageous scam? Does your patient's lease say anything about parking restrictions at their property? What it doesn't say is equally important. Have you approached them to see if they can assist? Who is the landlord or is the patient the owner?

Have you approached the department of the council that issued you with the permit to ask if they are able to intervene?
  • AW
    AW Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I will check my permit in the car now
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 38,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think you'll find that your council parking permit only covers you in council run car parks.

You will need to follow the guidance in the opening post of the NEWBIES thread and send the already written for you blue text template appeal found there.
  • AW
    Options
    Rang the council she confirmed it covers main roads not private land. The cost has gone up to 100.00 if I contest it. I will look at the contesting parking info, wish I had seen it earlier. Thank you
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The cost is zero.
     Haven't got much time to go into details, but take a look at Jopson vs home guard for starters
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • AW
    Options
    Thank you I will have a look, I think I've already made a mistake in panic replying too soon contesting the fine, looks like it's with the IAS ,I've seen in the threads they are not the greatest.  
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,573 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    AW said:
    Thank you I will have a look, I think I've already made a mistake in panic replying too soon contesting the fine, looks like it's with the IAS ,I've seen in the threads they are not the greatest.  
    Those two words have no part to play in the same sentence, even with a 'not' qualification! 😄
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • B789
    B789 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Here is a copy of the Jopson v Homeguard appeal case that is persuasive on the lower courts. Have a read and try and understand where your argument against these ex-clampers is going to go:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ezhkj6epu66l1r/JOPSON-V-HOMEGUARD-2906J-Approved.pdf?dl=0
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure