🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

£1 tickets London Euston to Manchester

Options

Comments

• Lugh_Chronain
    Lugh_Chronain Posts: 6,867 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MSE Archna says in her OP "You can book up to 15 February 2008 at the moment, though this may well be extended."
  • Lugh_Chronain
    Options
    Pin_Head wrote: »
    When does this offer end? Will there be tickets on say 1st March?

I misunderstood your question Pin Head. At the moment you can only book up 'til Fri 15/02.
  • Lugh_Chronain
    Options
    I discovered that once you've ordered your tickets you can go to the My Account section of the website. Once you're logged on click on View tickets in the My Account section and from there print your order by ticking the ticket you want printing. This might be convenient for those without a printer.

I had to go to my local library using this method to print the tickets and in the end they came out much clearer. The photo copier at work wasn't printing out clear enough; I couldn't see the last four digits.

I managed to get two singles at £3 each saving me £7 in all as I'll be traveling from Manchester Piccadilly to my destination which will mean I'll have to purchase two day returns at £6 each. So two single day returns would be £12 altogether + two P@H singles to Manchester = £18.

It would normally cost me about £25 if I went direct to my destination if I booked in time but they are actually £62 at the moment so saving me from having to spend an extra £44 to be honest if I were to get a return.
  • Queen.For.A.Day
    Options
    Does anyone know if you can buy one of these cheap tickets, and then upgrade to First Class on the train?

You used to be able to do this on Virgin Trains, but now I'm not so sure.
    Wow, lots of space here!
  • dzug
    dzug Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    Options
    Sparky29 wrote: »
    If you live along the route, say Stafford, there is nothing to stop you getting off the train early and travelling for a pound. Cheap as chips!

In practice there may not be but the T&C say:

You must board and alight at the stated departure and arrival stations. You may not board or alight at other points on the route. If you do a penalty or full fare may apply.

So it depends whether there are any ticket checks at the station you get off at - which is unlikely to be Stafford as most London-Manchester trains don't go through Stafford, let alone stop there.
  • dzug
    dzug Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know if you can buy one of these cheap tickets, and then upgrade to First Class on the train?

You used to be able to do this on Virgin Trains, but now I'm not so sure.

These particular ones - I doubt it

Your ticket is only valid for the date, train and reserved seat(s) shown on your ticket(s).

More generally - maybe.
  • Nick1969
    Options
    Can I ask a simple question? Ive bought our tickets and printed them off.

What do I do when I get to the station? do I need to take it to the ticket office or do I just board the train with the A4 print offs?

Im so looking forwards to going to London.

HELP fast would be most appreciated.:j
  • Lugh_Chronain
    Options
    It's seems to be the norm to present your ticket on board unless you are asked to present it at the station. A ticket inspector onboard the train came round when I went up to Manchester recently and asked everyone who had one to present their P@H tickets ready for inspection.

Don't forget to bring your payment card (VISA, Debit, etc) as proof of purchase otherwise you will have to pay the full fare for that journey.
  • Nick1969
    Options
    Sorry whats a [EMAIL="P@H"]P@H[/EMAIL] ticket? I had to print off my tickets as part of the special offer above and Im not sure if I need to show that print off on the train?

Thanks for your help
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 38,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nick1969 wrote: »
    Sorry whats a P@H ticket?
    [EMAIL="P@H"]P@H[/EMAIL] = Print at Home
    Nick1969 wrote: »
    ...Im not sure if I need to show that print off on the train?
    Already answered above.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family