£1 tickets London Euston to Manchester

Options
Updated 26 August 2008
(comments in the discussion may relate to earlier incarnations of the deal)

What's the deal?

A selection of train routes are currently going very cheap, you just need to know where to look and what to do
  • London to Manchester route, sub-£10, until 10 October

Virgin Trains are selling dirt cheap tickets from London Euston to Manchester and vice versa, but do this and you can sometimes grab fares from as little as £1 each way if you're lucky, but sub-£10 is available for most people. At the moment there are plenty of £3, £7 and £9 tickets. The caveat is you need to print your tickets at home and ensure it's clear and legible. Click here for more help on printing tickets.

To book simply go to the Virgin Trains website, select your route (either to or from Manchester) and search the dates for the £1 fares. If you can't find £1 tickets, £3, £7 and £9 fares are available, still a bargain! You can now book for travel up to 14 August 2008 (though this offer has been regularly extended). Full terms and conditions.
  • Birmingham to Glasgow/Edinburgh route, £2.50 return.

Cheap trains operator Megatrain has added another route to its portfolio. Tickets can now be bought between Birmingham and Glasgow or Edinburgh on Virgin Trains' West Coast Mainline.

Fares start at £1 each way plus the 50p booking fee. While the very cheapest fares can go quickly and there are only one or two journeys a day, if the times suit you then it's a no-brainer.

Remember when searching it'll also bring up fares for sister site Megabus so check carefully that you're looking at the rail fares (you should be able to tell from the train and bus symbols next to the train times when you've done a search).
  • Birmingham to London for a tenner

This is a nifty service to slash the cost of travelling between Birmingham and London. Use Chiltern Railways special ticket to your mobile service which costs from £5 each way and you could pay just £10 to get to London.

While the route is slower and takes you from Birmingham Snow Hill or Moor Street to Marylebone rather than Birmingham New Street to Euston, if you're willing to spend a little longer getting there then the price difference can be huge.
For tips and tricks to finding cheap travel read Cheap Train Tickets: How to find hidden fares

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• NewToThis_3
    Options
    My brother told me about the £1 fares the other day. Sadly, I would have to travel from Maidenhead to Paddington and then across to Euston by tube. The cost of this means that it is just as cheap - and more convenient - to travel from Maidenhead via Reading or Oxford. If I book a couple of weeks in advance, I can travel for £13 each way. Still a very good deal!

:money:
  • malcolmwilliamson
    Options
    Thanks for this tip Archna.
    Having missed the earlier Virgin deal I managed to get in first thing this morning to book a London-Manchester return for £4.
  • Lugh_Chronain
    Options
    Can you book a ticket then print it out at a later date like with National Express who’ll send a duplicate to your inbox. I'm asking this as I could book one at home then print it at work if this is possible otherwise I'll just book one the next time I'm at work.
  • Riq
    Riq Posts: 10,430 Forumite
    Options
    I think I love you. :D:D:D:D

Bets deal ever (that isn't on the gambling board)
    "I'm not from around here, I have my own customs"
    For confirmation: No, I'm not a 40 year old woman, I'm a 26 year old bloke!
  • west_bear
    Options
    Can you book a ticket then print it out at a later date like with National Express who’ll send a duplicate to your inbox. I'm asking this as I could book one at home then print it at work if this is possible otherwise I'll just book one the next time I'm at work.

I have the same issue - needing to print out receipts/tickets at home yet no printer - yet there is a free solution!

Install a PDF printer on your machine (free) - then you can print the web page as a PDF document, send it to work and print from there. It looks exactly like the orignal webpage.

Download from http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp
  • gaz6078
    Options
    Thank you very much for this info. I used this site and managed to book a return for me & the wife for only £12 return ( very cheap) ,if you don't mind going @ 9-30pm it was on offer for only £1 each way. Travelodge are doing a special offer for June, July & August for only £9 a room for the night until 31 Jan 2008 so hurry, I managed to book a room for 3 Nights for £27 in July. Good luckGAZ6078
  • Lugh_Chronain
    Options
    Thanks west_bear! And just one more thing can you explain to me what they mean when they say draft mode? It says in their T's & C's tickets should be printed in normal print mode. Tickets printed in any other mode will not be accepted. Does this not apply to PDF too?
  • ticketcollector
    Options
    When you go to print you can select in print options different options.

e.g.
    Draft
    Best
    Normal

Fast Draft
    Fast Normal
    Normal
    Best
    Super Best

This is purly how quickly and how much ink your printer uses to print the ticket, Normal is okay but draft uses less ink and prints quickly. This is what they mean in the T&C
    Ex-Employee of a Train Operating Company.
    Ticket routing and rules expert.
    Been Penalty Fared on the Railway? PM me and Ill try to help you win your appeal.
    Been sent a summons on the Railway? PM me and Ill try to help you.
  • Sparky29
    Sparky29 Posts: 285 Forumite
    Options
    If you live along the route, say Stafford, there is nothing to stop you getting off the train early and travelling for a pound. Cheap as chips!
  • Pin_Head
    Pin_Head Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    When does this offer end? Will there be tickets on say 1st March?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure