Weekly Flylady Thread 1st May 2023
Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread.
What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.
You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!
Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.
Thank you Valli for
last week's thread….
Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related content! (i.e. it should be on-topic)
The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon! Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up
These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.
Also adding a declutter mission
each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.
A few of the basics before we
start the week -
Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!
Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.
Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.
Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.
Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis
HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. .other music may be used if you prefer!
WM ~ Washing machine
TD ~ Tumble dryer
SC ~ Slowcooker
BM ~ Breadmaker
DW ~ Dishwasher
SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
NN ~ nice neighbour
Toxic (friend/mother/sister/0whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
ETA ~ Edited to add
Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- that’s your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to former Flylady AnW's Mum for this one
RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
MAD half hour - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stopping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!
Frog (or other amphibian) ~ google 'eat that frog'
Spoons ~ google 'but you don't look sick' and/or 'The Spoon Theory'.
Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!
Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide
Bank Holiday MondayOpen window and make the bed.
Have a lovely dayTwinkling Tuesday- Master bedroom and Landing
Throw open windows and let that sun in!!!!
Strip and wash bedding!
Clear some floordrobe
Clear landing floor.. or sort a hotspot out there!!
Sort out shoes and coats and bags! etc
- Mend 2 things from your 'mend it' pile!!
- Reorder and tidy a chest of drawers.. if there is anything to get rid of.. DO IT!!
- Wash and put away any winter coats you shouldn't need for the next 5 months!!
- Dust and dewebMake sure those smoke alarms are working!!! (do not set fire to anything.. just press the button!!)
- Go through your make up/nail varnish. Throw anything that has gone past it's shelf life or worse still has a life of it's own..
Open the windows and let the sun and fresh air in..
Clear the clutter from all these rooms!!
Ring someone you love just to tell them so.. we never do this enough!
Wash any curtains/blinds/mats etc that need doing
Vacuum the floors
Clean bath, toilets, shower and sinks
Wipe down the tiles and defragment the pc while doing this.
Declutter and dust the pc desk
Wipe away cup rings and sticky things
Wipe the keyboard, mouse, cables and sockets and suchlike.
Clean the windows.
- HHI..I really need to do this!!
- Clear a hotspot
- Degunge around the bottoms of the taps!
- Wipe cupboards and polish mirrors!
- Do a DIY task that you have been putting off since time began.
Thrilling Thursday ~ Kitchen, Utility and Dining Mess
Put on your most
uplifting and motivational music to do your housework to..
Sweep and mop floors
Now is the time to get rid of worn out old tea towels - replace with new ones (use old ones as cleaning cloths)
Catch up with the washing up
Empty and clean out
the fridge.. including the drain hole bit at the back..
Pick a cupboard and empty and clean it out and replace only what you wish to keep!
windows.. and dust blinds/wash curtains
Clear and wipe out the oven and hob
Wipe table and replace cloth if necessary
When was the last time you completely cleaned your fridge and make it all nice smelling? Get rid of out of date/dead stuff, what can be made into a soup or something?
- Clean/tidy under the kitchen sink, throw away anything that looks past its usefullness
- Wipe down paintwork/sideboards/units in dining room
- Replace kitchen cloths, sponges and washing up gloves
- Clean washing machine inside and outside
- Clean the toaster – get rid of crumbs in the little tray, wipe with a damp cloth to get rid of marks, smudges and smears
- Take everything out of kitchen cupboard, throw away out of date stuff, wash inside with white vinegar solution then replace items.
Frantic Friday ~ Living Room, Hallway and Stairs
Open those windows and let in the sun!!
Declutter floors.. in all these areas!
Sort through the coats and bags and shoes.. What can you fling?
Clear the mantle and a hotspot and replace only what should be there!
Wipe and water any plants and dust and deweb!
Vacuum the floors!
Empty a cupboard or drawer and fling all that is no longer needed and rehome anything that shouldnt be there!
Wash any soft furnishings
Wipe all the paintwork and all the doors!
- Wash the windows if they need it
- Binbag dance.. fling that rubbish!
- Polish any mirrors and pictures and glassware
- Replace any dead lightbulbs in the house.. and test those smoke alarms!!
- Clean out smelly pets
- Have you got your bunting etc all ready for Saturday's Coronation?
- Any of those going to a street party have you decided what you are going to take?
- For those that aren't interested in the Coronation go through the TV mag and find something else to watch 😁
- All Categories
- 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 449.1K Spending & Discounts
- 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 172.3K Life & Family
- 246.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
- 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards