Options

Comments

• loobiloo
    loobiloo Posts: 151 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Brie said:
    Wonka_2 said:

It's got to be very 'un-local' to make £100 and 3pts more appealing than cost of SAC (£90) and a few hours of your time.

But given your answers above are you sure you've received/responded to all the paperwork in the timelines i.e. you received NIP, provided your details but then haven't responded to the FPN when received so they've sent it to court ? 
    It's all relative though isn't it.  If you've got to drop kids at school at 8:30 or something and then it appears you've got to drive for nearly 2 hours to get to a course for 9:30 it's not going to be possible.  The OP obviously couldn't see that there was an online option.  

I wonder if there's any option to back up the process at this point to save the court the time and costs?
    I did see there was an online option. That's why I admitted my speeding online. 
  • loobiloo
    Options
    loobiloo said:
    Did you not get offered a speed awareness course?
    Yes I did. There wasn't a local option and it would still have cost me a £90 fine. I realised that would add points to my licence. 
    The speed awareness course can be done by zoom now if you cant find a local course. You are incorrect though about the points on your licence. You do not get points if you complete the course but you will now get points by paying the fine.
    The course is cheaper than paying the fine and no points.
    I didnt say I wouldn't get points on my license if I completed the course online. I said it would have cost me £90 instead of 100.
  • loobiloo
    Options
    Wonka_2 said:
    loobiloo said:
    Did you not get offered a speed awareness course?
    Yes I did. There wasn't a local option and it would still have cost me a £90 fine. I realised that would add points to my licence. 
    ???

It's got to be very 'un-local' to make £100 and 3pts more appealing than cost of SAC (£90) and a few hours of your time.

But given your answers above are you sure you've received/responded to all the paperwork in the timelines i.e. you received NIP, provided your details but then haven't responded to the FPN when received so they've sent it to court ? 
    I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that completing the online details would be sufficient. I received confirmation that they had received it. 
  • turnitround
    turnitround Posts: 715 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Normally what happens is-

You get a letter to tell you that you have been recorded breaking the speed limit.

You have to respond to the letter by filling in the form admitting you were the driver.

They then send you a second letter which, if you qualify offers you the speed awareness course.

This second letter gives you the option of paying the fine or booking the course. You must do one or the other by the date given on the second letter.
  • loobiloo
    Options
    DE_612183 said:
    Ok, so it looks like it's gone to court - why you haven't received the other docs I don't know.

If you did say you could pay the fine - you should have then paid the fine online - if you didn't it could have been a glitch in their system but I think you should have addressed this then rather than now.

You can try and see if they will accept the original amount, but without proof not sure what you can do.
    There wasn't an option to pay the fine at that point. I've only just received this latest letter. I received confirmation of my online submission on March 8th 
  • loobiloo
    Options

You get a letter to tell you that you have been recorded breaking the speed limit.

You have to respond to the letter by filling in the form admitting you were the driver.

They then send you a second letter which, if you qualify offers you the speed awareness course.

This second letter gives you the option of paying the fine or booking the course. You must do one or the other by the date given on the second letter.
    I received the original letter last month. As I said, there was reams of forms to fill in about my  monthly expenses. I then saw I could respond online which I did n March 8th 
  • CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 1,473 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    loobiloo said:

I received the original letter last month. As I said, there was reams of forms to fill in about my  monthly expenses. I then saw I could respond online which I did n March 8th 
    When you say "original letter" - what was it about?  Assuming you were recorded by a fixed roadside camera, the first letter you receive says that the vehicle was caught exceeding the speed limit, and asks you to confirm whether or not you were the driver.  You return that, saying who the driver was, and the driver would then receive a further letter offering a choice of a FPN or appearing in court, or a speed awareness course if that's an option.
    The first NIP / S172 wouldn't usually ask about income etc.

• loobiloo
    Options
    loobiloo said:

When you say "original letter" - what was it about?  Assuming you were recorded by a fixed roadside camera, the first letter you receive says that the vehicle was caught exceeding the speed limit, and asks you to confirm whether or not you were the driver.  You return that, saying who the driver was, and the driver would then receive a further letter offering a choice of a FPN or appearing in court, or a speed awareness course if that's an option.

The first letter I received did ask about me expenses, along with details of the offence. 
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    loobiloo said:
    loobiloo said:

The first letter I received did ask about me expenses, along with details of the offence. 

Do you still have that letter? Are you able to photograph it - then edit the photo to remove your name and address and any reference numbers so we can see what it said? (Most phones allow you to draw black lines over personal info in photos)
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    loobiloo said:
    loobiloo said:

In that case it must have been a Single Justice Procedure Notice.
    It certainly couldn't have been the first letter sent, since neither the police nor the court would have known that you were the driver.
    As CliveofIndia has outlined above, a NIP and s172 request would first be sent to the registered keeper of the vehicle. He/she would name the driver, who in turn would get their own s172 request. Only on receipt of that, signed to confirm that he#/she she was driving, would a fixed penalty or course be offered. (Note that the driver would not be asked to admit the offence.)
    Someone must have received those notices, and nominated you. If not you, it seems someone has forged your signature.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback