🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Speeding fine

Options

Comments

• turnitround
    turnitround Posts: 715 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 26 April 2023 at 3:44PM
    Options
    loobiloo said:
    Did you not get offered a speed awareness course?
    Yes I did. There wasn't a local option and it would still have cost me a £90 fine. I realised that would add points to my licence. 
    The speed awareness course can be done by zoom now if you cant find a local course. You are incorrect though about the points on your licence. You do not get points if you complete the course but you will now get points by paying the fine.
    The course is cheaper than paying the fine and no points.
  • DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,991 Forumite
    Options
    Ok, so it looks like it's gone to court - why you haven't received the other docs I don't know.

If you did say you could pay the fine - you should have then paid the fine online - if you didn't it could have been a glitch in their system but I think you should have addressed this then rather than now.

You can try and see if they will accept the original amount, but without proof not sure what you can do.
  • Wonka_2
    Wonka_2 Posts: 674 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    loobiloo said:
    Did you not get offered a speed awareness course?
    Yes I did. There wasn't a local option and it would still have cost me a £90 fine. I realised that would add points to my licence. 
    ???

It's got to be very 'un-local' to make £100 and 3pts more appealing than cost of SAC (£90) and a few hours of your time.

But given your answers above are you sure you've received/responded to all the paperwork in the timelines i.e. you received NIP, provided your details but then haven't responded to the FPN when received so they've sent it to court ? 
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,566 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Wonka_2 said:

It's got to be very 'un-local' to make £100 and 3pts more appealing than cost of SAC (£90) and a few hours of your time.

But given your answers above are you sure you've received/responded to all the paperwork in the timelines i.e. you received NIP, provided your details but then haven't responded to the FPN when received so they've sent it to court ? 
    It's all relative though isn't it.  If you've got to drop kids at school at 8:30 or something and then it appears you've got to drive for nearly 2 hours to get to a course for 9:30 it's not going to be possible.  The OP obviously couldn't see that there was an online option.  

I wonder if there's any option to back up the process at this point to save the court the time and costs?
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    loobiloo said:
    I was recently caught speeding in a 30 mph zone, I seem to remember I was doing 35mph.  I received notification of a fine of £100. I filled in an online statement admitting my excess speed and ability to pay the £100 fine.

I've now received notice of the total due at £531. This includes £315 fine, £126 victim surcharge (no victim was involved) and £90 costs.

I'm told this is due to "Court fines are always higher than if it was dealt with at Fixed Penalty stage". 

Nowhere on the original online form was this mentioned. I've complained to them. 

Any advice or suggestions most appreciated. Thanks

This doesn't make a lot of sense.

Normally, you have to name yourself as the driver (NOT online) before any offer of a fixed penalty is made.

OP, was this the first notification you received? Did you keep copies (or screenshots) of everything?
  • turnitround
    turnitround Posts: 715 Forumite
    edited 26 April 2023 at 4:13PM
    Options
    I think the OP has got very confused about what had to be done and how to do it and that has resulted in things progressing to court. The whole thread is quite confusing.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,385 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The only thing clear is that he didn't pay the fine

No, there was no suggestion to pay at that point. 
  • loobiloo
    loobiloo Posts: 151 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wasn't asked to. 
  • loobiloo
    Options
    I think the OP has got very confused about what had to be done and how to do it and that has resulted in things progressing to court. The whole thread is quite confusing.
    The whole situation is very confusing. 
  • loobiloo
    Options
    Car_54 said:
    loobiloo said:
    I was recently caught speeding in a 30 mph zone, I seem to remember I was doing 35mph.  I received notification of a fine of £100. I filled in an online statement admitting my excess speed and ability to pay the £100 fine.

I've now received notice of the total due at £531. This includes £315 fine, £126 victim surcharge (no victim was involved) and £90 costs.

I'm told this is due to "Court fines are always higher than if it was dealt with at Fixed Penalty stage". 

Nowhere on the original online form was this mentioned. I've complained to them. 

Any advice or suggestions most appreciated. Thanks

This doesn't make a lot of sense.

Normally, you have to name yourself as the driver (NOT online) before any offer of a fixed penalty is made.

OP, was this the first notification you received? Did you keep copies (or screenshots) of everything?
    Unfortunately I didn't keep copies or screenshots. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure