Which foods do you have trouble finding nowadays? (No call for it?? We still eat it!!)

Options

Comments

• Teapot55
    Teapot55 Posts: 731 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    sarah1972 said:
    Waitrose today had loads, Co op have it, Asda had it. No shortage in Surrey. Must be a regional thing? 
    Ah, now that’s interesting. I’ll have to get family to have a look when they’re up there. Thanks, Sarah. 

would've . . . could've . . . should've . . .

A.A.A.S. (Associate of the Acronym Abolition Society)

There's definitely no 'a' in 'definitely'.
  • thriftytracey
    Options
    Loose tea in Tescos.   They seem to get a delivery once a month - just a few packets of Red Label and Gold Label.  They sell out immediately.  On Thursday the next delivery date was 19 April.  

Not buying Yorkshire loose Tea which is always on the shelf very expensive.

I find loose tea makes a far superior brew.

Likewise Tesco own brand cat food sachets.  Had weeks with empty shelves, seems to be OK at the minute.
  • Nelliegrace
    Nelliegrace Posts: 482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 26 March 2023 at 12:57PM
    Options
    Clipper loose leaf green tea is getting as rare as hen’s teeth. 

There are often gaps on the shelf where the supermarket loose leaf tea should be, even Waitrose and M&S have let us down. @thriftytracy

People seem to think tea should taste of paper, be laden with micro-plastics and leave a scum on the cup.

• Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Clipper loose leaf green tea is getting as rare as hen’s teeth. 

There are often gaps on the shelf where the supermarket loose leaf tea should be, even Waitrose and M&S have let us down. @thriftytracy

People seem to think tea should taste of paper, be laden with micro-plastics and leave a scum on the cup.

If all else fails it looks as though it can be ordered direct:

https://shop.clipper-teas.com/products/clipper-f-t-loose-leaf-green-tea-100-g

Stompa
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 29 March 2023 at 2:15AM
    Options
    Just switched to Clipper decaf and OH vacuumed up a few boxes at Tesco while on offer in Saturday. The Clipper teas were somewhat ravaged by tea locusts. Clipper prices on Amazon were outrageous.

We always used to go for Sainsbury's SO organic Fairtrade black teabags before that and they were okay. 
  • Krakkkers
    Krakkkers Posts: 1,126 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Why were there Locusts in Tesco?
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    This thread inspired me to go on YouTube and look at old TV ads. Lots of eeh by gum  Northern accents, unbelievably cheap chocolates, celebs I don't recognise. Ready meals were simple e.g. meat pies, fish and chips, fish fingers and beef burgers. TV ads extolling the virtues of mushy peas as well. 

I recall fighting through layers of saran wrap (cling film) to get to floppy sliced white bread filled with Heinz sandwich spread, accompanied by an apple. My mother was no good at packed lunches. Mashed banana on brown Hovis anyone. 

Iceland and Morrisons have lots of retro food e.g. Sandwich spread, salad cream, meat pies, mushy peas, jelly, custard, rice pudding, trifle mix, scotch eggs, black pudding, faggots. 
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Auntycaz said:
    I miss having the little bag of giblets in with the chickens, They made lovely gravy. Lots of offal is no longer available I particularly liked ox liver.. Also has anyone seen cod cheeks I haven't seen them for years.
    Lots of tv chefs show us how to cook cheaper cuts of meat on the tv but they seem to be the only ones who can get hold of them (ie beef cheeks)
    Lidl have turkeys with giblets atm
  • Teapot55
    Teapot55 Posts: 731 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    . . . Iceland and Morrisons have lots of retro food e.g. Sandwich spread, salad cream, meat pies, mushy peas, jelly, custard, rice pudding, trifle mix, scotch eggs, black pudding, faggots. 
    Yum. Love all of them. (Add in Swiss roll for making trifle from scratch). 

would've . . . could've . . . should've . . .

A.A.A.S. (Associate of the Acronym Abolition Society)

There's definitely no 'a' in 'definitely'.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Has anyone seen Easter Biscuits - the traditional ones made with cassia oil?

I used to buy them at Morrisons but haven't seen them this year
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure