Most ridiculous 'add-on' you've ever had to pay?

What is the most ridiculous add-on you've been made to pay when buying goods or services?

Did a gifted experience voucher come with a particularly steep service charge?

Did an airline's mandatory extra charges really take the biscuit?

I'd love to hear any and all examples. Thanks.

Comments

• Mnoee
    Mnoee Posts: 797
    Photogenic Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Excessive print at home/mobile ticket fees. Ticketmaster wanted £6.60 in fees for two tickets to a comedy show (£24 total, so over 25% extra), but I was smart enough to check the venue website too - they had face value tickets and a voluntary donation. 
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 22 February 2023 at 3:47PM
    The Star Wars Celebration event in London in April would like you to pay £9.99 to have your £269.99 (plus booking fees)  photo opportunity with a celebrity emailed to you in JPG format.
    I laughed.
    I wont be partaking.
  • My barber asking if I wanted something for the weekend. She’s still here!
    I work from home so my cat can be fed on demand!
  • goater78
    goater78 Posts: 193
    First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Not an add on as such but when booking some hotels recently (decent 4 star ones) in the room facilities included they have listed “toilet paper”. It seems strange this is being called out as if it’s an added feature you are lucky to receive. 
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,248
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    goater78 said:
    Not an add on as such but when booking some hotels recently (decent 4 star ones) in the room facilities included they have listed “toilet paper”. It seems strange this is being called out as if it’s an added feature you are lucky to receive. 
    I have noticed that on some holiday cottage sites.  I can understand you need to know whether you are getting a dishwasher etc or how many bedrooms the property has but toilet paper?  It’s a bit like saying they have “light bulbs”  :D
  • I booked a Haven holiday for £49 and got an email saying if we paid an additional £30 could choose our caravan.
    Sealed pot challenge member 437
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,407
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    goater78 said:
    Well, perhaps they like to be clear, especially post-COVID.

We stayed away for a couple of weeks during the EOHO-era and the hotel had made some changes "because of COVID" - these included no cleaning service mid-stay.  That meant no toilet roll replenishment, as confirmed when we had to ask at the front desk.  We ended up visiting the supermarket to buy a pack of toilet rolls.  

Mind you, that hotel was rather odd as the bed was extra - I wrote a thread on it at the time:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6176099/room-only/p1
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,388
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 5 March 2023 at 8:54AM
    I booked a Haven holiday for £49 and got an email saying if we paid an additional £30 could choose our caravan.
    Having once stayed at a Haven on a mini ruby players tour I'd have happily paid £300 not to stay in the absolute shed we were allocated.
    170534 Posts: 3
    First Anniversary First Post
    daveyjp said:
    I booked a Haven holiday for £49 and got an email saying if we paid an additional £30 could choose our caravan.
    Having once stayed at a Haven on a mini ruby players tour I'd have happily paid £300 not to stay in the absolute shed we were allocated.
    Yep been there done that, connected the gas bottle and plumbed the loo in, so caravan could be used...and i had one of the good caravans!!
  • turnitround
    turnitround Posts: 715
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Ive been on 6 short breaks with Haven in the last 2 years and never had a bad caravan yet.

I still have a couple of breaks booked with them. I never 'choose' my caravan and leave it to luck. Last time I was right on the sea front. Had I booked that spot in advance it would have cost me over 4 times what the break did.

Im just waiting to see what happens this next time as they now have a new con. You can pay to choose your booking in time. Its £20. 

Im not paying but it will be interesting to see what happens if they give me a morning booking in time as I am 6 hours travel away from the site and wont be there before mid/late afternoon.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback