2022 was the warmest year on record

Options
Mstty
Mstty Posts: 4,209 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
edited 9 January 2023 at 11:39AM in Energy
It did feel like a very warm year.

Glad the first of three air to air heater and air con units are installed for next year.

BBC News - UK weather: 2022 was warmest year ever, Met Office confirms

Comments

• SAC2334
    SAC2334 Posts: 763 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The top ten recorded temps in UK are all in the last two decades with Coningsby in Lincs hitting 40.3 c . Cue climate change deniers to explain why that means nothing !

It was reported on the day that Heathrow had got the highest but that must have been revised down

A thermometer hanging from my washing line went to over 50 c when the true temp was 40 c which was recorded 7 miles from me at Doncaster Airport . That shows how important that only using a thermometer inside a Stevensons screen with its door facing north placed at a set height, over grass and away from any walls etc to get the true air temps .
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    "2022 was warmest year ever so far"  fixed it for them.
  • Mstty
    Mstty Posts: 4,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    "2022 was warmest year ever so far"  fixed it for them.
    Journalism is not what it once was.
  • Krakkkers
    Krakkkers Posts: 1,134 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The Earth is 4,600,000,000 years old, how far back do records go?
    The Earth has been frozen solid and molten in its life.
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Someone claims all records are on stations under 30 years old, Im too lazy to fact check that, But im sure someone would pull him apart if it wasn't true.

Adjusts tin foil hat.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,504 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 6 January 2023 at 12:08AM
    Options
    markin said:
    Someone claims all records are on stations under 30 years old, Im too lazy to fact check that, But im sure someone would pull him apart if it wasn't true.

Adjusts tin foil hat.
    Google is most people's friend
    https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/learn-about/how-forecasts-are-made/observations/recording-observations-for-over-100-years
    Tl;dr: England since the late 1800s/early 1900s, Armagh since 1794!

[Edit: also environmental archeology can tell us about the climate through time, but obviously not exact temperatures. A record of a slightly different type ;)]
  • ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    need to be careful with some of the readings tho becayse its not 'global' climate change if its because an area has been hevily urbanised in the last 30 years (some areas reporting record temps have changed unrecognisably even over the last few decade) 

i think thats the biggest thing we need to pay more attention to. flooding problems and heat traps caused by bad planning. 
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 6 January 2023 at 11:20AM
    Options
    markin said:

Adjusts tin foil hat.
    Google is most people's friend
    https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/learn-about/how-forecasts-are-made/observations/recording-observations-for-over-100-years
    Tl;dr: England since the late 1800s/early 1900s, Armagh since 1794!

[Edit: also environmental archeology can tell us about the climate through time, but obviously not exact temperatures. A record of a slightly different type ;)]

So they are all only 10 years old, A digital recording every 1 sec will see the spike from a warm breeze while a gardener looking at a mercury just morning and night or ever hour will miss the peaks. All the links on that page seem to be dead.

It seems difficult to find the Data all in one place! And the site below for armagh is very difficult, no link to download all raw data.

http://www.climate.armagh.ac.uk/aws.html

The data from the automatic weather station is not meant to be used for scientific analysis and no calibration or correction has been carried out on it. It is presented here purely for interests sake.

The Observatory continues to make manual, daily weather observations.

EDIT:

OK i found one site that will let my download 1 Day at a Time!
    https://data.ceda.ac.uk/badc/armagh/data/armagh-met-sensors/2022/06

• peter_the_piper
    Options
    I think the problem is that its only as long as written records have been taken. Not that long ago (well 15/16th century) the Thames was so frozen they had markets on it. The earths temperatures fluctuate often. A lot depends on the distance from the sun and things of this nature. Until we have records for centuries we really can't be sure the Earth os over heating or freezing.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Ally_E.
    Ally_E. Posts: 396 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It light be warmest on record as a whole, but I had a look at average daily temps since I turned the heating on in the autumn and compared it to 2021 data and 2022 autumn+December was colder than 2021.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure