New Mortgage, New Marriage, New Allotment - Oh My!

Options

Comments

• SeekingFlight
    Options
    Morning MSE'ers

I did consider renaming this thread after all of Februarys hopeful wishes, it's now mortgage, widowed, lost my allotment, but that seems a bit maudlin for my taste. 

So I was thinking about what I have that is new now
    • A new bunny (she's so friendly)
    • A new business (so weird, would never have assumed i could do that)
    • A new rose, finally got my climber for the front of the house
    • new exercise buddy - gone back to weight training
    Maybe a new lodger, that would help with some of the house bills. 

Really happy about the personal training we block bought 10 sessions which we do as a pair so they are currently about £21 each. 

looking to do more making, mending and minimising over the next few months think I'm finally coming out of my funk a bit. 

The next job to do is to fight EDF, they claim my meter is sending them readings but it cant be last year their readings went, 13665 kWh in July to 11186 kWH in October. Now i can't submit accurate meter readings as they are 3000 kWh out, and you know they will just go oh you owe us £1000's pay us now.

Wish me luck, then i will switch myself away from them they have been nothing but awful.

Make £2024 in 2024 £2238.48/£2024"Remember not to do too many things at once" said me to herself.Mortgage Free Wannabe #25 2023 OP £2500/£7000
  • SeekingFlight
    Options
    Actually had a really productive day yesterday, i did

• 4 loads of washing
    • sold a bookcase
    • cleaned out all the pets
    • cleaned the bathroom and hall
    • packaged some vinted sales
    Then i rehomed a bottle of wine i was given for cat sitting as a housewarming gift, i'm not much of a drinker so that was efficient.

Make £2024 in 2024 £2238.48/£2024"Remember not to do too many things at once" said me to herself.Mortgage Free Wannabe #25 2023 OP £2500/£7000
  • LadyWithAPlan
    Options
    Well done with all the focus - so sorry for your loss but good you keeping busy 
    how annoying  re the allotment that they didn’t consider your circumstances but your rose sounds lovely 
    There will always be a (beautiful stilettoed) foot in fabulous in LaPlan's life.
    I am choosing to be fabulously frugal to support some wonderful life changing and affirming financial goals including buying a London home I love.

DON'T BUY STUFF (from Frugalwoods)
    No seriously, just don’t buy things. 99% of our success with our savings rate is attributed to the fact that we don’t buy things. You can’t really hack your way to frugal. You can and should take advantage of discounts, coupons, rewards points, and the like. But at the end of the day, the only way to truly save money is to not buy stuff.    Money doesn’t walk out of your wallet on its own accord.

My March  streaks to track
    Track Minimalist game  items (Nov 310)   (Dec  95)  (Jan 90)   Feb 50
    Exercise streak  
    YNAB days:: Target 50 days -Age of money 29
    Track my NSD's - Target 13 days/ 0/13

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6289577/future-proofing-my-life-deposit-saving-then-mfw-journey-in-under-13-years#latest
  • SeekingFlight
    Options
    Well done with all the focus - so sorry for your loss but good you keeping busy 
    how annoying  re the allotment that they didn’t consider your circumstances but your rose sounds lovely 
    Thanks, I love roses apart from the iceberg they were all bought in memory of my OH, they have names like She's So Lovely etc. This one is still flowering, the aptly named 'Constant Companion'.

I'm due to take some cutting I'm trying to grow a batch to give away next year, spread the love and all that. 

• SeekingFlight
    Options
    Well Sunday/Monday were still productive days but not as good as Saturday. 

Monday my water went out, thankfully it was the whole area not just my house so Cambs Water fixed it but I failed to use all that hot weather to dry my washing as I couldn't do any.

Sorted out another three boxes of clothes yesterday, sell, donate, textiles.
    Started taking the moth infested wardrobe apart. 
    unpacked and sorted a delivery
    Found a large enough treat jar for the bunnies barley rings. 

I just bought a bulk batch of hay and barley rings for the bunnies from The Little Hay Company. I was really impressed they barley rings came in just a box - no plastic as did the eco hay (10kg) which is just loose in the box. It was £23 for 10kg (plus delivery) their normal hay is £6 a kilo (burgess Excel) and they love this new hay. Also bonus of a big box to play with once its gone, they love boxes. 

They gave me a 20% discount code so if anyone wants it it's below.

https://thelittlehaycompan.refr.cc/emmaormond

• SeekingFlight
    Options
    Got paid the £316.14 from something i did in June today :) that will help on my totals for the year 
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,615 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    That’s good. 
    Better later than never! 
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • SeekingFlight
    Options
    I know @beanielou i had sort of written it off so when it turned up it was a nice surprise.
  • twinklie
    twinklie Posts: 5,052 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Wow what a year. My sister lost her husband this year, it’s such a tough thing to pick up and carry on from. You seem to have grabbed the bull by the as much as you can in these situations. Good for you. 

Rubbish about the allotment. We’ve managed to keep ours despite a big lump of neglect because life happened (lots of dramas). But I think it’s only sheer luck tbf. 

I’ve just started selling on Vinted. I posted my first 3 items today. If you have any top tips feel free to share. I’m hoping it’s as easy as it seems. 
    Reduction in daily mortgage interest since October 23 - £0.31 (started new mortgage)
    % of house owned/% of mortgage paid off. December 23 - 32.30%/24.54%
    MFiT-T6 #5
    MFW 2024 #6
    MF Date: Oct 37 May 37
  • SeekingFlight
    Options
    @twinklie It does seem to have been another tough year for a lot of people. 

I did manage one garden success this year I grew a melon, just the one but its a proper ripe melon.

Vinted I've had no trouble and somethings don't sell quickly but it's worth spending the time to take good photos and fill in the extra categories.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback