We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Mortgage Free now aiming for FIRE

Options

Comments

• daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,308 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thats so sad tg.  Sorry for you friend and family.  Sieze the moments for sure.

We call aliums firework flowers as they are like a lovely firework (and often crawling in bees and butterflies)  

Daisy xxx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,646 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks she passed this morning turned 55 10 days ago. Definitely seize the moment I’m going to contact estate agents and see when they think we should start marketing the house. I know we cannot officially move until I’m 55 and can withdraw my 25% pension pot. 

Played a medal today played really well. DG played one hole so badly she went in. Too hungover which was the right thing to do. She came back for the social after the game so that was nice. Tired now not sure we will go to the live music tonight tickets were only a 5er. Need to check in tomorrow for the last flights and pack. Dg will do some work I’ll sort the garden out. 

Take care enjoy your Saturday. 
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Jun £30K + £12K added to pension & £1850 withdrawn) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125 May £0) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2026 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• TallGirl
    Options
    Our friend passed away yesterday morning it was very sad but glad I was forewarned. Widow is posting a bit on Facebook and so many lovely comment. 

Done quite a bit while Dg has been working incl getting soil from Lidl so tomato and cucumber potted up. 

Still need to pack but plenty of time for that. 

better. 
    - Silicone around the front door surround 
    - Treat cover in vinyl restorer - Ordered stuff arriving tomorrow DONE
    - Book bus and trains back to airport in Ireland
    Change my address and marital status on DK site
    - Await compensation from RL - I have chased this 14/5/24
    - Paint the 2 back fence panels 
    - Sort will out to include civil partnership
    - Book reading for Civil Partnership
    - Start process of registering business premises in my name got title register and title deeds -got title deeds
    - Check my mum into flight from DK to UK plus check in Irish flights DONE
    - Move savings from Santa to Moneybox  20th May rate drops to 4.2 DONE
    - Book  round of golf at C 2nd June
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Jun £30K + £12K added to pension & £1850 withdrawn) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125 May £0) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2026 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• TallGirl
    Options
    Sat on the plane going to be delayed so is my mum from Copenhagen fog at Dublin. 

Hopefully still have a nice trip beasts being at work 
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hope you have a lovely break with your Mum. 

My condolences on the loss of your friend. It makes it all the more important to seize the day.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 235 payments to go - now £182,428 Equity 27.02%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £13.45K
    3) CC £7.4K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.25K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £10.8K/£127.5K AVC target 8.47% value at 23/6/24
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
    6) SIPP £4.2K at 23/6/24
  • TallGirl
    edited 28 May at 5:22PM
    Options
    Thanks SH it has certainly put things into perspective also that my mum is 81 so if I want to be there for her I need to move soon. 

We had a lovely time in Ireland hectic but really good and my mum enjoyed herself. Really expensive to eat and drink out all the time but my mum has paid for so many holidays for us over the years it was minor really. I have just dropped her off at Gatwick special assistance so she should be on the plane now flying back. I always feel sad seeing her go but this time felt different because I am seeing her in 6 week but also because I am moving home soon. 

I do need to move forward with the list of things to do before we can move so will update the to do list and add more to it. I have started doing a 12 week planner and my next one is due so that is timely to put things into there. 

Work is not too hectic I think because of 1/2 term so that is good. 

I will update properly later but take care for now hope you all enjoyed the Bank Holiday we had some nice weather and got to spend yesterday at the golf club playing and using the spa with my mum so that was lovely. Gym later for two back to back classes DG has just come back from PT so she is doing well. Diet also start today no more messing around. 

Update:
    Forgot to say I called RL (pension company) on Friday to say I had not had my £150 compensation. They did answer quite quickly and I got another apology and £50 added so now £200 for the hassle. I am please about that so now they have my account number (they had not asked for it) I am just waiting for the money. He also confirmed I can keep my pension when living in Denmark so that is good. No need to move to international pension. 

I have sent message to estate agent to bought my house as the one who sold us this house has not responded. 

Caught up with work so will now chill out before heading for the gym in 20 mins time. 

Mum is at the airport all went well she is waiting for a train but special assistance all worked but took a long time. 

Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    edited 28 May at 5:19PM
    Options
    To do list 
    - Silicone around the front door surround 
    - Treat cover in vinyl restorer - Ordered stuff arriving tomorrow DONE 
    - Book bus and trains back to airport in Ireland DONE
    Change my address and marital status on DK site
    - Await compensation from RL - I have chased this 14/5/24, chases again 25.5 upped it to £200 from £150 compensation. 
    - Paint the 2 back fence panels 
    - Sort will out to include civil partnership
    - Book reading for Civil Partnership
    - Start process of registering business premises in my name got title register and title deeds -got title deeds
    - Check my mum into flight from DK to UK plus check in Irish flights DONE
    - Book  round of golf at C 2nd June DONE
    - Contact estate agents re selling house -sent email to the one who bought my house 28/05/24
    - Sort out chip in windscreen
    - Find out how to take 25% lump sum from pension. Booked PW app 10/7/24
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Great result on the compensation - and that you can keep the pension after moving.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 235 payments to go - now £182,428 Equity 27.02%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £13.45K
    3) CC £7.4K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.25K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £10.8K/£127.5K AVC target 8.47% value at 23/6/24
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
    6) SIPP £4.2K at 23/6/24
  • TallGirl
    edited 29 May at 2:14PM
    Options
    Just had a really nice call with work it will lead to me actually travelling out to see them which is really nice. It is my favorite type of work so I am pleased I got given it. I do need more work but I think my manager might give me some this afternoon and then I can close some other stuff down which is nice. 

Went to the gym it was hard but did both classes. DG got a migraine so did not go but she had done PT. Dietwise we were both good so that was nice. It was only day one so lets see how we go today. Did drive my mum to Gatwick but avoided buying a coffee while there. I stopped at the services and used my OxxPus freebie to get a Greggs one which was a nice bonus and helped the drive back. 

Did not sleep that well as I woke up to a mechanical sound from the bathroom. I tried to work out what it was but could not so woke up DG and eventually we worked out it was my electric toothbrush which I had thrown out in a metal bin that had started up on its own. It sounded like the whole house was alive like a machine. Could not go back to sleep afterwards.

As DG still owes me £1000 and I had to clear the credit card and Ireland was quite expensive I had had to take out £1850 of my Premium Bonds. I have done it after the June draw but it will give me a bit more flexibility as the new savings account with MoneyBox has only just been filled so it would be a mess to try and get that moved back out. I will be frugal this month we do have 2 x 60th birthday presents so bought two outfits on Vinted £17 in total but bought two from the same buyer so saved on postage. Hopefully I can wear them to the party. One is new with tags and it is a jumpsuit which I really fancy trying (long tall sally). Actually only cost me £7.50 as I had credit from previous sales on Vinted. 

Also had my £45 expenses paid so when the £200 comes in I should be much better off again. I will make sure there is plenty to cover the 0% balance on my M&S card though sitting at 5% interest anyway. Estate agent has been back in touch so they are making a appointment to come out and see the house which is great. That is that started interesting what they think about time to sell. We cannot move before I am 55 which is 1.8.25 but I do not want to sell in the Winter either due to the garden with the pool etc.  

We have an all staff meeting this afternoon to talk about cuts etc so might know more about my team then. I feel totally scared to think I could be without a job next August (earliest date anyway) but I can always take a sabbatical and if it went totally rubbish in Denmark we could come back, buy another house and I could then work again in the same job. 

Still I am not retired and there is work to be done right now still have 3 meetings left today done 3 already. 
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• LadyWithAPlan
    LadyWithAPlan Posts: 2,366 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Just catching up 

so sorry to hear about your friend - 55 is so young and it does make us all question the time we have left with loved ones 
    one of my closest friends just had C cells removal surgery for  3rd time and got a Next step appointment tomorrow - it’s worrying 

the 2 contract cousin sounds very inelegant and lacking in manners - not even a bottle of wine!  

Were all your things still in your case ? 

The soda stream sounds great now you have tried it - maybe one for my bday list ! 
    There will always be a (beautiful stilettoed) foot in fabulous in LaPlan's life.
    I am choosing to be fabulously frugal to support some wonderful life changing and affirming financial goals including buying a London home I love.

DON'T BUY STUFF (from Frugalwoods)
    No seriously, just don’t buy things. 99% of our success with our savings rate is attributed to the fact that we don’t buy things. You can’t really hack your way to frugal. You can and should take advantage of discounts, coupons, rewards points, and the like. But at the end of the day, the only way to truly save money is to not buy stuff.    Money doesn’t walk out of your wallet on its own accord.

My March  streaks to track
    Track Minimalist game  items (Nov 310)   (Dec  95)  (Jan 90)   Feb 50
    Exercise streak  
    YNAB days:: Target 50 days -Age of money 29
    Track my NSD's - Target 13 days/ 0/13

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6289577/future-proofing-my-life-deposit-saving-then-mfw-journey-in-under-13-years#latest
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback