We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Mortgage Free now aiming for FIRE

1…155156157159161

Comments

  • Mrs_Money_Penny
    Mrs_Money_Penny Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Wow I love those photos it will look stunning.Roll on next summer. Glad you’re on the mend.x

    2026 Decluttering 8889⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    2025 Decluttering 17207⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    2024 Decluttering 11728⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
  • TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 6,645 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 5 September at 2:59PM

    Thanks Mrs_Money_Penny means a lot here are some pictures of the actual space. I did get a call from the first guy he did want to price match so that is fine but 2nd guys offer is not the same so I doubt it will matter plus I think we will kick ourselves if we go with option 1.

    IMG_8346 (2).jpeg IMG_8347 (2).jpeg

    Festival was so so wet yesterday but fun to speak to the other new people and one of the volunteers clearly knew me she said she spotted my name on the list and wondered when I had moved here so I have not spoken to her for a while obviously. I am convinced she is a second cousin but on the family tree she is not there. I want to find out her grandparents (my aunt or uncle) so I can fit her in but so far a mystery. She had gotten married so I do not even have her maiden name. I need to do some stalking as it really irritates me. That is 2 cousins I have randomly met since moving here. It is fun but also really unnerving as they all seem to know who I am. Anyway we did not stay that long but what we did see was fun and we got a sandwich, a nice t-shirt and 3 free drinks which was really kind of them. It used to be a big festival back when it started in 1976 but by the 90's it was huge. Bowie played there, Robbie Williams and also Coldplay but it was sold a few times and then went bust in 2004 so they are just getting it started again.

    Being there also made me realise how integrated we have become which got further reinforced today at the local show case for all the volunteer associations. We volunteer at the cinema, we have just joined the gym, the local park association we belong to and there was also the creative classes and crafts which we have done. We got to speak to our neighbour and his mum and another neighbour so that moved our Halloween party forward too. We are quite lucky I think to be integrated so soon but it does help I speak the lingo. Although younger people are keen to speak in English harder for the older ones.

    Anyway plan today was to get the exercise sheets done but DG is doing her cocktail menu instead. I have done the ice cream ready for dinner Wednesday with the neighbours. Then on Saturday we have friends coming to watch the Solheim Cup but that has not quite been nailed down but will be on Tuesday. Then the following week our really close friends from the UK visit us and then we have just found out our golf friends are coming mid October so it will be lovely to host all those people. DGs work is really crap and she is so so struggling so not sure how it will work with her taking time off to see our friends. Well she can in the evenings but we shall see.

    Right now I want to get on with the sheets for the gym and then we are ready for next weeks start.

    Moved to Denmark for FIRE by Aug 2025 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 3,340 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    remember they possibly had each other and other family members so from time to time your name/your family name will have come up so even a passing 'oh yes, now didn't she have a daughter who went to Britain?' will keep your name alive to them You are the novelty, having been away so long, so if somebody meets you and mentions to her sister 'you'll never guess who I bumped into the other day' who tells the granny before you know it there's a subtle alert out that tg is back.

    What a lovely welcome to get to know them plus the wider community. 😀

    Dxx

    22: 3🏅 4⭐ 23: 5🏅 6 ⭐ 24 1🏅 2⭐ 25 🏅 🥈2⭐ 26 🥈 Never save something for a special occasion. Every day is a special occasion. The diff between what you were yesterday and what you'll be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If youre not already using a thing you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney The barrier standing between you & what youre truly capable of isnt lack of info, ideas or techniques. The secret is 'do it'
  • TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 6,645 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Thanks Dailsy I did do some stalking of the family member I am friends with on facebook but no one with that name. I definitely knew her but she must be second cousin and not one the family chart which is odd in itself but I have to let it go. My sister is useless she remembers nothing about that side of the family was she was 5 years younger when my parents got divorced. My dad wont remember all I can do is ask my cousin at least I feel good that I do know my cousins names there are 36 but some a dead sadly but youngest is my sister at 51 so the oldest are 80. Anyway enough about that I will get there and it is lovely to have community around you exactly why we chose this town.

    We had the cinema volunteer job last night and it went wrong! The screen would not turn on so we tried to restart and it still would not work so had to call next door and he helped me. We had 21 guests and because it was a 3 hour film we were allowed to stop half way and sell sweets and drinks. It was busy and DG cannot sell tickets yet but she did make the coffee so all good. It was a good film no something I would have seen normally but really good Odyssey it was.

    We did get a few jobs done like the exercise sheet (no gym this morning going tomorrow) and I did get the lawn done and collected some soil next door and sowed some grass in the patches. Composter in place so all three to use now. Still need to sort the cold frame out for Winter but with the tidy shed now it really does help. We also got some washing done, oiled the worktop, did some deep cleaning (still more to do) as it will be a busy week and next week we have our friends staying.

    I need to dig my old to do list out as I think I have ticked off quite a bit now. It was so lovely and warm yesterday long may this nice weather last.

    Moved to Denmark for FIRE by Aug 2025 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

  • TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 6,645 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Things for DG

    Contact tax office declare part time wages

    Look into accountant once we know UK situation - got details just need to contact them now

    Reclaim train ticket.

    Marketing course in progress

    GDPR 13% so so much to do

    Things for garden and house:

    New plot:

    Level edges for robo mower IN PROGRESS

    Paint and build compost bins (done 2 1/2) DONE

    Front garden:

    Paint bin shed - buy wood stain

    Neaten flower bed edges for robo

    Back garden:

    Treat weeds

    Cut back flower bed edges for robo

    POOL BAR

    Move pictures to make space for photo wall

    Return IKEA items and buy more frames plus frame for dads picture WILL DO ON WEDS

    Moved to Denmark for FIRE by Aug 2025 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

  • TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 6,645 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Drum roll a really old to do has come off the list DG has finally emailed an accountant ready to speak to the tax office.

    Had the estate agent from the UK send a friends request I had been meaning to connect with him to support each other marketing as he has gone self-employed. He did reply back straight away and I hope to speak to him Friday to see if we can do some joint posts about what to do with tenants when you come to sell. He didnt know we had sold our house so that will be interesting as his firm was selling it but when we took it off the market we sold it privately as you may remember.

    Today I have golf (DG is not going she is having an I hate golf moment) but I need to do the GPDR it is so so boring but it is helping DG and needs must. The weather is still nice so really wish I could do some gardening but no time. We have next door coming to dinner Wednesday and golf friends all day Satuday so some shopping to be done tomorrow and Thursday.

    We were meant to go to the gym this morning but DG said no and I did not fancy going on my own. So annoyed with myself as I really should have gone.

    I have booked parking for our golf holiday £38 for a week that is quite good for Denmark so glad we are not flying from CPH that would have been a lot more plus £50 bridge fee.

    Sadly we have got tee times every morning about 9am which is not ideal so I have asked to move it to 11am but we shall see if that is possible. If not we might just do 3 rounds and then see if they can fit us in the afternoons. Usually not as popular a tee time anyway. Flights seems to have changed to really early now which is really irritating as we lose the final day really. We do get back in good time so that is something but I do not fancy the 2am start lol. Anyway that is all for now much crack on as per usual.

    To Do

    Contact tax office declare part time wages

    Look into accountant once we know UK situation - DONE

    Reclaim train ticket. DONE OUT OF TIME SADLY

    Marketing course in progress

    GDPR 29% so so much to do

    Things for garden and house:

    New plot:

    Level edges for robo mower IN PROGRESS

    Front garden:

    Paint bin shed - buy wood stain

    Neaten flower bed edges for robo

    Back garden:

    Treat weeds

    Cut back flower bed edges for robo

    POOL BAR

    Move pictures to make space for photo wall

    Return IKEA items and buy more frames plus frame for dads picture WILL DO ON WEDS

    Moved to Denmark for FIRE by Aug 2025 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 9,778 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic

    Oh, well done - it always feels very satisfying to get a long-standing to-do ticked off!

    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

    'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway


  • TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 6,645 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 9 September at 8:11AM

    It sure does Madvix I cannot wait for that list to become a lot smaller but with the dinner guests tonight, the trip into town tomorrow and then Fri, Sat and Sunday watching the Solheim Cup and having friends over Saturday it will be busy. Then we have our English friends staying next week but it is all good. I am grateful to have good friends wanting to visit from the UK, getting to know our new neighbors over dinner to say thanks for all their help and having made new golf friends who are coming to visit for the first time.

    Golf yesterday was really wet but my new golf shoes held up. I am not sure if I have told the whole story on here about the shoes I bought on Vinted for a bargain price. I wore them for 9 holes which is 2 hours and then put them in the car. The day after I looked at them and the soles on both shoes were coming off. I had already left feedback and they were so comfortable it was really annoying. As soon as I messages her she refunded me the money I just had to pay for postage which is fair enough she had no idea they were going to to that. I have had it happen to Ecco shoes before. Anyway I still need a size bigger shoes (this is because of my new insoles) so I had to buy new from a golf shop. They arrived and they are perfect exactly the same as what I did have but a size bigger. It is quite annoying as I bought 2 pairs 2 years ago and only just started wearing them last year but they do not fit now. An annoying thing to spend money on but my feet does need looking after. I played badly anyway I think because of the rain.

    Physio and massage today and DG has a Danish lesson at the same time. I need to pick up some shopping for tonight but she is usually over 1 hour anyway.

    The garden is looking really lush now the rain has come. The robo mower is great it works perfectly only a couple of patches it cannot do where the flower bed is but if I cut the edges I recon it could do it. There are also some rough tuffs of grass on the new field it struggles with. I do need to move more soil but it is great to now have free soil very close by. Saves money and keeps me fit.

    Speaking of fit DG did not have time for gym this morning so we have still not been. That is a week into our membership and still not been. Not good and a waste of money.

    I have finished the very boring compliance course it did take several days but so glad it is out of the way now I can concentrate on the website and marketing.

    To Do

    Contact tax office declare part time wages - once we hear from the accountant

    Marketing course in progress

    GDPR 29% so so much to do DONE

    Things for garden and house:

    New plot:

    Level edges for robo mower IN PROGRESS

    Front garden:

    Paint bin shed - buy wood stain

    Neaten flower bed edges for robo

    Back garden:

    Treat weeds

    Cut back flower bed edges for robo

    POOL BAR

    Move pictures to make space for photo wall - photos arrives today so needs to be done

    Return IKEA items and buy more frames plus frame for dads picture WILL DO ON THURS

    Moved to Denmark for FIRE by Aug 2025 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 29,234 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Sorry it's been longer than I thought since I last caught up on your diary. You've achieved so much already. Your garden looks stunning and hopefully the new robo mower will help with that.

    Hope you are fully recovered from your operation.

    Hope things go okay with your dad in the new home and your mum where she is. You sound like you've settled in so well back over there.

    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality
    1) MFW Nov 21 £202K now £165K Equity 38.88% 6/9/26
    2) £1.5K Net savings after CCs 29/8/26 (but owed £130) so £1.6K
    3) 47/82K @29/8/26 = 57.31% AVC Goal by mid 2028
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.