Walking into another chapter ...

Comments

• benbenandme
    benbenandme Posts: 12,144
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    No idea where the last month has gone?! A blur of rain, work, disappointing football results and housework mainly :)
    We break up on Friday for two weeks which will be nice, 5 more get ups first though. 
    I am planning on decorating my bedroom in the holidays, I bought some tester pots today but keep changing my mind,depending on the light. I'm thinking of doing some panelling on the wall behind my bed, then either stone green (dulux heritage), mizzle or cromarty (farrow & ball). Cromarty is currently leading the way :)
    Mortgage Total: £56,397 / £75,000
    2024 Savings: £0
  • Blackcats
    Blackcats Posts: 2,612
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Cromarty is gorgeous - very relaxing and so many options to accessorise with it.  You've got me wanting to decorate now!
    It's a strange old footie season - it's been a long time since I've been watching my team in a fight for 10th place 🤣
  • benbenandme
    Forumite
    Gosh it's been a while - sorry! 

Easter holidays are going well so far - hair has been cut and coloured, car has been fixed, doctors appointment has been booked and attended and bedroom has been done. I really don't enjoy diy or decorating so am glad it's almost done. It's not just the doing it it's the chaos it causes elsewhere in the house - I had to move lots of bits out of my room so I could paint, this meant stuff everywhere it shouldn't be. I have got loads of washing done but haven't been able to put mine away, so there's been piles of washing sat around too. Anyway, almost done and back to normal, just gradually moving the final bits back where they should be. 

Now it's time to sit on the sofa and watch the footie scores for a couple of hours :)
  • benbenandme
    Forumite
    Another good result for us yesterday! Happy Easter one and all ... I'm feeling that kinda yucky feeling I get at Christmas today - that feeling that I should be doing stuff that others do, a big family meal, visiting National Trust places, generally making memories, but instead I'm sat on the sofa with the dog trying to pull myself out of it. I blame the media for trying to hype Easter up to be the next Christmas .. big family gatherings, Easter egg hunts, a huge roast dinner with crackers, decorations etc. Instead ds is at work all day, Mum is going to my sisters for dinner and I am just pondering. 

Part of it is to do with what I said yesterday about stuff being displaced at the moment. Everywhere I look at home there seems to be stuff. And none of it can go where it should go because (a) I want to get rid of one set of drawers from my bedroom so they are currently still downstairs, with the contents of them there too. I need to sort out the drawers in my room (and massively declutter again) so they can go away. Then I also have clean bedding that needs to go away. I washed and ironed it yesterday but the airing cupboard is a complete tip and also needs a big declutter and a couple of new shelves adding before that can be put away properly. Then there is all the diy bits that now need to find a home in the garage, but you've guessed it, the garage needs sorting first ... and so it goes on ... the garden needs a good sort out, I have no interest in this whatsoever and am considering getting someone in to sort it once and for all for me.

I know what the answer is, I need to start with a big declutter then I can start sorting and putting away. I feel like I'm forever decluttering, and my friends say I really don't have any clutter anywhere, but it's the mountain of clothes, half used toiletries etc ... even in the airing cupboard I must have about 3 spare duvets. Occasionally ds will have a mate stay and we might need one, but never three. Time to grab those binbags and start being ruthless again ...
  • TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,476
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You can do it!! You’ll feel so much better when all that stuff has gone to the charity shop or animal shelter benefitting others too. 
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Feb 24 £41,650 (Wins, Jan £200 Feb £150) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,361
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    If decluttering is your thing then do it  :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • benbenandme
    Forumite
    So I didn't get a huge amount of decluttering done however I did manage to rehome the drawers in the garage and move all the clothes upstairs, so at least downstairs can be cleaned and straightened properly now. Today is looking like a wet and windy one, so will mainly be an indoors day. My to do list includes:

• Cook roast dinner
    • Clean bathroom
    • Tidy, clean and sort lounge, kitchen and conservatory
    • Drink 2 litres of water
    • Take vitamins
    • 5 x 30 second planks
    • Check banking / finances
    • 10,000 steps
    • No refined sugar
    As you can see the old walking / water etc targets are back on there, I really need to find my mojo again, damn perimenopause is making my belly look like a doughnut so I need to stop with the excuses and do something about it. Fitbit has been charged, water bottle has been filled, now to stick to it again. 
  • benbenandme
    Forumite
    Chipping away nicely at the list - bathroom has been cleaned, kitchen has too. Lounge and conservatory are funny really, there isn't really anything to be put away but they just don't look done if that makes sense - maybe I've spent too much time looking at them :)

Veg is all prepped for dinner, the beef is in the slow cooker, I have popped to Tesco's and bought a few bits and pieces as well as some Airpods - I've been thinking about getting some for ages but have held on to my wired earphones for as long as possible, but they are finally giving up the ghost; the slightest movement and they stop working, I need to constantly fiddle with the wire and it drives me mad, so I finally took the plunge.

I'm about half way through my water, will have my vitamins when I have dinner, I;ve only done one of the planks so far, maybe ought to crack on with those.  
  • benbenandme
    Forumite
    Morning, a strange start today - I woke up wide awake at 4:30 and finally got back to sleep about an hour later, only to be woken up at 6 by someone wanting to buy something I listed on marketplace. I agreed she can come round this evening after 6, then she kept asking if I could change my plans so she could come at 3?! Err no!! The item actually belongs to ds and is only £12 so no benefit to me of changing my plans. Anyway, I was meant to be going to see a friend for the day but she then messaged me around 8 to say she isn't well today and had to cancel. So I'm now deciding what to do instead. I might go and see a different friend, waiting to hear back from her. I've had my breakfast (egg on toast) and done my first plank of the day. I've gone up to 45 seconds each today as the 30 seconds was fairly easy yesterday. 
  • benbenandme
    Forumite
    edited 11 April 2023 at 2:18PM
    Fairly productive day after all - I caught up with a friend this morning then the lady came and collected the marketplace item, I only listed it last night so am pleased that's a job done and £12 for ds. I have checked the banking for the month, moved a few bits and pieces between accounts as necessary then I have gutted my airing cupboard. I've been meaning to do it for a while but for some reason I finally found my mojo so did it - it's not a huge cupboard but it seems that's where my hoarding tendancies are hiding ... I binned:

• 10 towels
    • 2 duvet covers
    • 2 pillows
    • 2 blankets
    • a bath mat
    • a hoover
    • 3 pairs of curtains
    • 2 bags of coat hangers
    • some random plastic piping
    • a cushion

I also discovered:
    •  4 x 6 toilet rolls (I didn't hoard any in lockdown, this is a more recent thing)
    • a brand new single duvet in packaging
    • 8 brand new towels in packaging
    I have taken all the stuff to the charity shop / tip and am feeling very proud that that is a job done and completed :)
    I think some of the problem is when I was a child Mum always had loads of spare bedding / towels etc in the airing cupboard which was always used when people came to stay (we had a spare room). However, there were 5 of us at home and we had visitors a couple of times a month. Now it's just me and ds and we rarely have people to stay. I also used to raid Mums airing cupboard for making dens, ds is almost 20, I think that stage is well and truly passed :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport