How much gas and electricity are peoplenow using compared with last year? And the cost?

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 11 December 2022 at 10:48PM in Energy
Hard to find good data on how much gas and electricity people actually use and for how many hours ie per hour price. Especially hard calculating Central Heating without a smart meter. How many rooms, how many people. 

Yesterday I used my gas central heating as I would like to use it but just heating 2 rooms  - a large through room in an old 1934 semi. Grade E!!

Used 1.75 gas meter units = 56kWh = £5.61 (£7.84 true unsubsidised price!!!). 

That would be 1680 over 30 days = £168 subsidised (£235 unsubsidised!!) and that's before standing charges and VAT.
Just insane. I can just afford 1 unit and that's more than enough.

This is a direct comparison between last March and now. 

What is the point of central heating anymore if we are just heating one room! It's meant to heat the whole house, controlled by thermostats of course, not every room at the same temperature. Currently condensation on windows in now cold other rooms!! Back to 1950s living.

The recommended temperature for keeping warm and healthy in the Winter is 18-22 degrees depending on age and health - if you do a search. Sounds right. I'm OK at 18 degrees. My mother would have needed 22 and in fact did live like that. She would be dead with these prices.

Electricity is simple: a 2 kWh heater costs about £1 an hour inc. standing charges and vat. Subsidised = .70p

Comments

• Krakkkers
    Krakkkers Posts: 1,134 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I take you have an imperial meter?
  • MikeJXE
    MikeJXE Posts: 3,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    My 2 bed flat electricity is basically the same summer and winter, 800 kWh, my gas annually 6,000 kWh is down this period mainly because I have realised my gas boiler pre heats the water I don't use so I have switched it off. There is no point quoting costs, usage in kWh is the way to compare. 
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,643 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What is the point of central heating anymore if we are just heating one room! It's meant to heat the whole house, controlled by thermostats of course, not every room at the same temperature. Currently condensation on windows in now cold other rooms!! Back to 1950s living.
    Heating the whole house is a choice.   It is not the point of central heating. 

The recommended temperature for keeping warm and healthy in the Winter is 18-22 degrees depending on age and health - if you do a search
    22 is a bit on the high side. 18-21 more typical.   

What most people will feel is the change in temperature rather than the temperature itself.   So, you could feel warmer in a house that is constantly 18 degrees than a house where you move around between rooms heated at 19c and 21c.

Women tend to need the temperature higher than men.

Yesterday I used my gas central heating as I would like to use it but just heating 2 rooms  - a large through room in an old 1934 semi. Grade E!!
    Used 1.75 gas meter units = 56kWh = £5.61 (£7.84 true unsubsidised price!!!). 

That would be 1680 over 30 days = £168 subsidised (£235 unsubsidised!!) and that's before standing charges and VAT.
    Just insane. I can just afford 1 unit and that's more than enough.

Upto 80% of your annual use is over the coldest 4 months of the year.   You expect it to be heavy in those 4 or so months.  And as this year has been very mild all year until December, your use has probably been much lower until now.   So, if you avearge out your budget over the year, then you are probably heavier in credit than normal.    If you haven't budgeted for annual use and pay as you use it, then it can be more painful.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 December 2022 at 1:13AM
    Options
    Of course central heating is designed to heat the whole house otherwise we'd just use a portable heater ot two. Anyway I prefer the usage and cost focus. You are ignoring the massive increase in prices. I'll be in credit if I pay the ridiculous new monthly dd they want me to pay. If everything was so reasonable the government wouldn't be offering subsidies. I think a jump from £60 to £204 for the same potential usage is outrageous. That's the true price of course which we'll all be paying after April and 20% higher still. 
    Nobody on a low income can possibly "budget" to pay the extra £30 or so a week to pay for heating. Everybody in the country is £30-40 worse off this year. Fine if you're on a large income.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    And your usage is?
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've taken readings this morning and calculated mine from the 1st of the month. 

Gas 65kwh per day at a cost of £2.47 plus 25p standing charge. £2.72 per day. 

Electric 12.4kwh at a cost of £2.48 plus 26p standing charge   £2.74 per day. 

Daily cost of £5.46 so far this month. 
  • Stixalot
    Options
    unfortunately, I don't have all the data to hand as i only moved house last December so i can only compare January's data to November's data and from what i remember it was a cold January.

January 2022     4021.8KWh used and cost £175.60

November 2022 2032.4kWh used and cost £213.87

So used pretty much half the usage and paid £40 more....
  • Effician
    Options
    Last Dec averaged 5kWh/day electric & x amount of free wood for heating ( can't give an amount as i don't measure it)
    This Dec 3kWh/day electric & about the same amount of free wood i think, although much lower volume.
    Would cost me an extra 30p/day at today's rate  i suppose if the whole bill & then some  were not payed for by Gov't handout.

• RobM99
    RobM99 Posts: 2,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Summer ...   2021 ......40p a day
    Winter    ...   2022  £4.27   a day

...and I'm frugal!
    Now not a gainfully employed bassist.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Since the cold snap arrived in the NE (about 6 days ago) now using between 40-50 kWh Gas/day (cumulative total so far - 446kWh) and that is heating only to 17.5C and this week ahead will be no better (possibly sightly worse).  Last year (in the same cumulative timeframe) I used 591 kWh but the temperatures were probably seasonal norm and the CH was set to be higher.

So new target set for me this month of a gas usage of 1395kWh costing £150.73 total (45kWh/day costing £4.86/day) on EPG.

Electricity slightly better than 2021 anticipated at 248 kWh this December costing £96.08  (8kWh/day costing £3.10/day) again on EPG rates.

So I expect my payment for December's usage to be in the region of £246.81 (exc the BEIS payment) so under £200 for sure.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback