No address for ex, therefore no hope of maintenance.

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I have suggested this before, but why don't you just use a tracing agent? There are numerous companies offering this service from as little as £20, which indicates that, if you know how, it can be done online in minutes. I've never used one, but someone else may be able to suggest one?
    Really no need to resort to sitting in car parks whilst donning wigs and dark glasses...this is the 21st century, and everyone has an online trail.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Thanks Macman. That is interesting to know that it costs so little. I think I was picturing a private detective costing hundreds plus expenses! And I'm not kidding!
  • Thanks Macman. That is interesting to know that it costs so little. I think I was picturing a private detective costing hundreds plus expenses! And I'm not kidding!
    Even cheaper...

Buy/borrow an Apple air tag and stick it to his car. You can then do the tracing whilst being at arm's length and avoiding any possibility of being caught whilst playing at Private Investigator

Regards

Tet
  • If I saw his car anywhere then I could. I haven't seen it once. Apparently he is living in the same town as me, but no idea where. 
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 November 2022 at 9:25PM
    Thanks Macman. That is interesting to know that it costs so little. I think I was picturing a private detective costing hundreds plus expenses! And I'm not kidding!
    No, just someone who knows someone who has access to the relevant database in return for a few quid.
    Have you tried the electoral roll?
    If he's in the same town then it can't be that difficult to trace him if you know how to.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • He was on the electoral role at my address until recently when I took him off. He won't have registered elsewhere as he hasn't changed any address on anything. 
  • tightauldgit
    tightauldgit Posts: 2,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    macman said:
    I have suggested this before, but why don't you just use a tracing agent? There are numerous companies offering this service from as little as £20, which indicates that, if you know how, it can be done online in minutes. I've never used one, but someone else may be able to suggest one?
    Really no need to resort to sitting in car parks whilst donning wigs and dark glasses...this is the 21st century, and everyone has an online trail.
    It's relatively easy to trace someone if they have registered themselves somewhere but a bit more difficult if they are trying not to be found and all the databases point back to an old address. Plus in this case it's not as if there isn't an address for the person - we know where they work for example. And I still don't really understand why any legal paperwork can't just be served there.

• I'm going to at least put his work address on the divorce application so I can get that going. 
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Do you know when he is next in court on the criminal matter? He may have to confirm his nae and address so if you can go or ask someone else to that might be an option. 

I sam surprised tht the CMS can't do more - for most things, service is valid if letters are sent 1st class to the person's last known address, so I would have thought that if they wronteto him at your address and at his work address they could work from there .

Tracing online - here is one examplke (I haven't used them so can't vouch for them, but it lookslike they don't charge if they can't find him!) 
    https://nationwidetracing.co.uk/address-tracing/ 

If he can't be traced online then a private investigator would probably start from about £100 hour - if you are able to tell them where to start (e.g. if you can provide etails of where he works and photos to show what he looks like) it probably wouldn't be very difficult, and they ought to be able to give you an idea of cost before they startt (you should also be able to put a ap on it - e.g. specify tht if they haven't manaed to locate him after x hours / £xxx cost to speak to you before continuing. 
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • If he is charged (should find out soon) then it can take months to actually get to court. 
    The CMS can't just write and assume he got the letter. They have to have actual proof that he received notification. 
    I am still deciding whether to use a tracing agent. From what I have read, they do everything online, looking for a trail. But from what I can figure out, he is still only using my address. So I'm not sure what they can do. 
    I will check out reviews on the company you mentioned Tbagpuss. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback