Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

No address for ex, therefore no hope of maintenance.

in Child support
58 replies 2.2K views
NornIronRoseNornIronRose Forumite
87 Posts
10 Posts
Forumite
Long story short, ex removed from property last November. Bail conditions mean that he can't live at home or contact any of us, even through a third party. While I am very grateful for the protection that this gives us, some financial help would be good. I have one child under 18 living at home. 

Unfortunately, the CMS have told us that they have put things on hold and will be closing the case as we have no address for him. He has not changed his address with the DVLA (I know because I have had a speeding ticket and parking invoice coming here), his employer, DWP, GP or anyone official. 

I work almost full time in health care but on not much more than on national living wage. He was on a salary of around £60k. I haven't claimed for anything other than child benefit and have recently asked for a reduction in council tax as there is only 1 adult in the property. 

Has anyone got any advice on other avenues that I could try? The CMS have written to his employer but his address is still registered as being here. 

Replies

• TBagpussTBagpuss Forumite
    10.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If he is on bail then presumably the police and courts have an address for him? They are unlikelyto be able to disclose it to you but may be able to do so to the CMS - perhaps ask the police whether they would be able to do so , and whether they can provide a contact number or email address (for the relevant person within the police) which you can pass on to the CMS.

All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • NornIronRoseNornIronRose Forumite
    87 Posts
    10 Posts
    Forumite
    I've tried that. Police do have details for him but they can't pass that along to the CMS. All they could do was ask his solicitor if he would contact the CMS but of course, he won't do that. 
    Thanks for that though TBagpuss. 
  • JJWSJS8700JJWSJS8700 Forumite
    233 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    A Judge can and did, an address when he moved 4000 miles away.

plus why can’t the CMS use his national insurance no. and set up a deductions of earnings order from his employer, whatever address he has.

You should also tell his employer that he does not live at your address as he are supposed to update his employer, but don’t if you’re afraid he might be violent.
  • tightauldgittightauldgit Forumite
    528 Posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Its an offence not to update your driving licence details with the DVLA which might be an issue if he's on bail. Maybe take the speeding ticket to the police and tell them he doesn't live there anymore? This might set in chain events which force him to update his address?
    87 Posts
    10 Posts
    Forumite
    I've just sent the speeding ticket notice of intended prosecution back to the DVLA with the info that he no longer lives here. Haven't had any further communication from them since. 
    CMS can't take any money through wages until they notify him that he is liable to pay it. Only if he doesn't comply, can they then set that in motion. 
    If he ends up in court, then I will be finding a way to inform him then, plus somehow inform him of my intention to divorce. Something else that I can't even apply for as I don't have an address. That's the problem with an online form. Can't go past the page until you fill in all the boxes. The computer says 'NO!'
  • tightauldgittightauldgit Forumite
    528 Posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Have you got any clue as to where he lives? private investigator to confirm?
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    51K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    As above, just use a tracing agent.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • JJWSJS8700JJWSJS8700 Forumite
    233 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've just sent the speeding ticket notice of intended prosecution back to the DVLA with the info that he no longer lives here. Haven't had any further communication from them since. 
    CMS can't take any money through wages until they notify him that he is liable to pay it. Only if he doesn't comply, can they then set that in motion. 
    If he ends up in court, then I will be finding a way to inform him then, plus somehow inform him of my intention to divorce. Something else that I can't even apply for as I don't have an address. That's the problem with an online form. Can't go past the page until you fill in all the boxes. The computer says 'NO!'
    The CMS can write to him at his employer’s address c/o, that’s how they did mine, initially.

When he left the country with no forwarding address for me, the county court made an order for his address to be disclosed to the court, not to me, and then I made my REMO application which was very simple, after 5yrs and 11mths of being told, by the same people at the county court, we cannot do anything as you have no address.

The form was a C65 I think, I could check.
  • BAFEBAFE Forumite
    261 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    Forumite
    Just follow him home from work one day.
    87 Posts
    10 Posts
    Forumite
    He works quite a distance away, and does shifts. Would have no idea when. Oh, and he had a car accident a couple of weeks ago so wouldn't even be able to know what car he'd be driving. He'd spot my wee car a mile away!