🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Combination microwave ovens

Options

Comments

• Rosa_Damascena
    Options
    Effician said:
    Aren't air fryers just a fad like Breville sandwich toasters once were? 
    I thought that, but it does seem that quite a lot of people who have them do use them regularly, which I suppose is a sign that they are here to stay.
    There is a lot of hype around the cost savings ( minimal), and versatility ( limited) and at the end of the day they are just small fan ovens. However they seem handy/good for preparing certain types of foods for one or two persons.
    Will soon find out for real, as we are getting a medium sized one as a Xmas present !
    I was tempted by one but all the ads I see for them have the trays full of fattening stuff I would never eat (I feel ill if I see a KFC ad on TV, I mean what sort of family has their dinner out of a bucket?:D
    Plenty!: https://visitbirmingham.com/inspire-me/areas/balti . (The literal translation of balti is "bucket").

@Sistergold - can you expand on your comment "I also like to bake the normal way"? I'm not one for ready made food but the big driver for me to get a combination microwave was to bake small quantities of bakery products without additives (my previous attempts with the breadmaker were consistently dense, and resulted in a load that was far to big to consume before its best). Your post did make me think it might be worth hanging onto the old microwave btw, so as to avoid any accidental meltdowns by visiting family!

The combi MWs all have different selling points. First thing is you need to decide on how much you want to spend max, as they can get expensive quickly with advertised functions. One will say it’s the best as it uses Steam+convention+MW the next will say it uses Grill+convention+MW etc and all this they will say it will do THIS dish in Xminutes, therefore cutting cooking time by @minutes. So with all that you choose one. So when you shop for one you have to be careful and see what functions are important to you so that those cooking results are the one that stand out for the model and brand you then buy.  So for example I then chose the whirlpool. 

“Normal baking”
    When I mentioned “prefer normal baking” it more to do with bread and cakes. For savoury bakes like lasagna, pies, potato bake I would happily use the combi MW if the quantity permits.

Now with this whirlpool yes it’s a big size but still I find I am restricted as to the height or level I can place  the item I want to bake. Bearing in mind by the time I chose the combi oven the issue of baking levels was not even on my list of wants. To be honest you would not want a crappy MW just for shelving adjustability? In a traditional oven once you have zeroed in on the oven functions you want and the oven size the oven will come as standard with the adjustable shelves. In a normal oven the goods to be baked can be as close to the bottom or top as you want. 

Secondly with baking taking height adjusting out of the way say that did not matter I will now need to now “learn” and tweak my already perfected baking to the new method of cooking as presented by the combi MW? Imagine that I have prepared my cake mix and I stick it into combi and I get an unexpected result? To be honest? 

Thirdly in a traditional oven you place multiple trays and bake at the same time on different level which I can not do in a combi MW again the issue of quantities and shelving possibilities. 

While we are on it, the combi MW presents so many functions but the main one really is the microwave aspect? For those who microwave their food this is the important bit? So when I said it can be the only oven if you choose BUT for a small family? For a large family if this becomes the only oven it will really cause a queue?. I have four children and while I am baking one child might want to do a portion of pizza, or chips or grill a burger or warm some left overs? In my opinion a MW should almost be always free for the quick thing you want to stick in. For this reason for say one or two adults it’s okay on its own but for a household one will need to give it more thought? 

For me as a conclusion if space was an issue I will get a small MW and keep my normal stove and oven setup so that the MW is free for the job it was created for. But in a good size kitchen a good size combi MW PLUS your normal stove oven setup is the best. You then choose when you want to use what without inconveniencing each other in the house. 
    To me a MW is all about convenience, speed, a particular result(mine has a crisp function) in medium to small quantities and needs to be free for family members to use.  
    I am pondering on your wisdom and experience here. Its the second point that stands out - if I had a cake failure I would be discouraged from trying again. I wanted to be able to stick a Bundt pan in, walk away for 50mins and come back to a perfect result rather than having to babysit the darned thing. I thought a fan assisted combi would let me do that.

The third point isn't really a consideration for me, I have a full oven and a half oven and don't think I've used the former since my kitchen was refit (I recycled both the ovens and the d/w).
    If shelving levels are not an issue and quantities will not be an issue THEN honestly there is no reason why a combi MW will not be enough AS ONLY OVEN IN THE HOUSE! After a few Bundt cake failures you will become an expert I think? You might also be natural and just master the technique from start! The fan assist should really do it, It is an oven at the end of the day! I think you will learn quickly and come to love it? 

For me as I have a big family no matter how good the combi bakes I will always need more than one oven. So if I went on and mastered it I will still need more than one. So for now why bother master its cake making aspect? I must confess I do make low carb cupcakes in the combi and they come out as hoped. For me once the quaintly is small enough I do gravitate towards the combi.
    The 959 actually has provision for shelves, too - solid or grill type. This maximises cooking space, but obviously loses out on the added heat evenness of a rotating shelf.

That reminds me that i must get the 2 dozen mince pies done Mrs E keeps asking for.
    We're now on our 3rd Sharp r959 in 20yrs & wouldn't be without one , the full oven went years ago but to some extent the combi is going the same way as the old oven but still needed for some things,  it only gets used now for trays of pies ,Yorkshire puds very basic microwave duties & the biggy for us is it can get one of my homemade 1-1.5kg Pizza's in which consistently comes out well thanks to the low rack on the large rotating plate.
    Most of the time cooking is more than covered by the induction hob ,pressure cookers & the 5.5l airfryer, i was a skeptic of airfryers until just over a year ago but now a total convert on the grounds of taste,speed & running costs.

2 questions:
    • are you making mince pies in the combi?
    • buying 3 microwaves in 20 years is not cheap! My Sharp has been going for 21 years but if it were a £400 beast I would be thinking more than once before replacing.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
     i was a skeptic of airfryers until just over a year ago but now a total convert on the grounds of taste,speed & running costs.

I am still a sceptic of the latter point. They are cheaper to run than a conventional oven, but the savings in cold hard cash are not that much, and they are not as robust as a conventional oven and will need replacing more often.

I think there has so much publicity/marketing  about airfryers and the cost of living crisis, that it has become a bit of an urban myth that they are big money savers.

• ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 5,125 Forumite
    Options
     i was a skeptic of airfryers until just over a year ago but now a total convert on the grounds of taste,speed & running costs.

I am still a sceptic of the latter point. They are cheaper to run than a conventional oven, but the savings in cold hard cash are not that much, and they are not as robust as a conventional oven and will need replacing more often.

I think there has so much publicity/marketing  about airfryers and the cost of living crisis, that it has become a bit of an urban myth that they are big money savers.

Good point.
    Yes, they are cheaper to run, but as you say, I suspect they are much less likely to last as long as a conventional oven.
  • Effician
    Effician Posts: 482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 December 2023 at 4:13PM
    Options
    Effician said:
    Aren't air fryers just a fad like Breville sandwich toasters once were? 
    I thought that, but it does seem that quite a lot of people who have them do use them regularly, which I suppose is a sign that they are here to stay.
    There is a lot of hype around the cost savings ( minimal), and versatility ( limited) and at the end of the day they are just small fan ovens. However they seem handy/good for preparing certain types of foods for one or two persons.
    Will soon find out for real, as we are getting a medium sized one as a Xmas present !
    I was tempted by one but all the ads I see for them have the trays full of fattening stuff I would never eat (I feel ill if I see a KFC ad on TV, I mean what sort of family has their dinner out of a bucket?:D
    Plenty!: https://visitbirmingham.com/inspire-me/areas/balti . (The literal translation of balti is "bucket").

@Sistergold - can you expand on your comment "I also like to bake the normal way"? I'm not one for ready made food but the big driver for me to get a combination microwave was to bake small quantities of bakery products without additives (my previous attempts with the breadmaker were consistently dense, and resulted in a load that was far to big to consume before its best). Your post did make me think it might be worth hanging onto the old microwave btw, so as to avoid any accidental meltdowns by visiting family!

The combi MWs all have different selling points. First thing is you need to decide on how much you want to spend max, as they can get expensive quickly with advertised functions. One will say it’s the best as it uses Steam+convention+MW the next will say it uses Grill+convention+MW etc and all this they will say it will do THIS dish in Xminutes, therefore cutting cooking time by @minutes. So with all that you choose one. So when you shop for one you have to be careful and see what functions are important to you so that those cooking results are the one that stand out for the model and brand you then buy.  So for example I then chose the whirlpool. 

“Normal baking”
    When I mentioned “prefer normal baking” it more to do with bread and cakes. For savoury bakes like lasagna, pies, potato bake I would happily use the combi MW if the quantity permits.

Now with this whirlpool yes it’s a big size but still I find I am restricted as to the height or level I can place  the item I want to bake. Bearing in mind by the time I chose the combi oven the issue of baking levels was not even on my list of wants. To be honest you would not want a crappy MW just for shelving adjustability? In a traditional oven once you have zeroed in on the oven functions you want and the oven size the oven will come as standard with the adjustable shelves. In a normal oven the goods to be baked can be as close to the bottom or top as you want. 

Secondly with baking taking height adjusting out of the way say that did not matter I will now need to now “learn” and tweak my already perfected baking to the new method of cooking as presented by the combi MW? Imagine that I have prepared my cake mix and I stick it into combi and I get an unexpected result? To be honest? 

Thirdly in a traditional oven you place multiple trays and bake at the same time on different level which I can not do in a combi MW again the issue of quantities and shelving possibilities. 

While we are on it, the combi MW presents so many functions but the main one really is the microwave aspect? For those who microwave their food this is the important bit? So when I said it can be the only oven if you choose BUT for a small family? For a large family if this becomes the only oven it will really cause a queue?. I have four children and while I am baking one child might want to do a portion of pizza, or chips or grill a burger or warm some left overs? In my opinion a MW should almost be always free for the quick thing you want to stick in. For this reason for say one or two adults it’s okay on its own but for a household one will need to give it more thought? 

For me as a conclusion if space was an issue I will get a small MW and keep my normal stove and oven setup so that the MW is free for the job it was created for. But in a good size kitchen a good size combi MW PLUS your normal stove oven setup is the best. You then choose when you want to use what without inconveniencing each other in the house. 
    To me a MW is all about convenience, speed, a particular result(mine has a crisp function) in medium to small quantities and needs to be free for family members to use.  
    I am pondering on your wisdom and experience here. Its the second point that stands out - if I had a cake failure I would be discouraged from trying again. I wanted to be able to stick a Bundt pan in, walk away for 50mins and come back to a perfect result rather than having to babysit the darned thing. I thought a fan assisted combi would let me do that.

The third point isn't really a consideration for me, I have a full oven and a half oven and don't think I've used the former since my kitchen was refit (I recycled both the ovens and the d/w).
    If shelving levels are not an issue and quantities will not be an issue THEN honestly there is no reason why a combi MW will not be enough AS ONLY OVEN IN THE HOUSE! After a few Bundt cake failures you will become an expert I think? You might also be natural and just master the technique from start! The fan assist should really do it, It is an oven at the end of the day! I think you will learn quickly and come to love it? 

For me as I have a big family no matter how good the combi bakes I will always need more than one oven. So if I went on and mastered it I will still need more than one. So for now why bother master its cake making aspect? I must confess I do make low carb cupcakes in the combi and they come out as hoped. For me once the quaintly is small enough I do gravitate towards the combi.
    The 959 actually has provision for shelves, too - solid or grill type. This maximises cooking space, but obviously loses out on the added heat evenness of a rotating shelf.

That reminds me that i must get the 2 dozen mince pies done Mrs E keeps asking for.
    We're now on our 3rd Sharp r959 in 20yrs & wouldn't be without one , the full oven went years ago but to some extent the combi is going the same way as the old oven but still needed for some things,  it only gets used now for trays of pies ,Yorkshire puds very basic microwave duties & the biggy for us is it can get one of my homemade 1-1.5kg Pizza's in which consistently comes out well thanks to the low rack on the large rotating plate.
    Most of the time cooking is more than covered by the induction hob ,pressure cookers & the 5.5l airfryer, i was a skeptic of airfryers until just over a year ago but now a total convert on the grounds of taste,speed & running costs.

2 questions:
    • are you making mince pies in the combi?
    • buying 3 microwaves in 20 years is not cheap! My Sharp has been going for 21 years but if it were a £400 beast I would be thinking more than once before replacing.

Yes mince pies in the combi microwave oven.
    The first 2 lasted about 10 yrs each & heavily used but  cost around £180 each new when purchased , there used to be good deals on them , this one we've just bought was barely used second hand  for £50 so not as expensive as you make it sound
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 5,125 Forumite
    Options
    Effician said:

The first 2 lasted about 10 yrs each & heavily used but each cost around £180 each new when purchased , there used to be good deals on them , this one we've just bought was barely second hand  for £50 so not as expensive as you make it sound
    Wow - good deals indeed.
    Our replacement was also second-hand, and either £50 or 60. Barely used - clean as a clean thing. No-one else wanted it as they seemingly thought it a 'catering' MW! It is pretty big right enough...
    I managed to keep our previous one running after a good few years of service by replacing door microswitches on at least two occasions - two separate switches failed. I noticed that I could make it work if I pulled gently on the door, so knew it was switch-related. A test meter and the obvious scorch marks on them confirmed the diagnosis. A couple of squid each.
  • Effician
    Options

This is why i listed it lower down the order of benefits, however the cost of a good unused ( plenty about) but second hand unit like our Cosori 5.5l @ £50 that we bought last year has more than paid for itself
    Like i said i was a skeptic but gave it a try & am pleased i did, even if it didn't save any hard cash i would still have one.
  • Effician
    edited 20 December 2023 at 5:11PM
    Options
    Effician said:

The first 2 lasted about 10 yrs each & heavily used but each cost around £180 each new when purchased , there used to be good deals on them , this one we've just bought was barely second hand  for £50 so not as expensive as you make it sound
    Wow - good deals indeed.
    Our replacement was also second-hand, and either £50 or 60. Barely used - clean as a clean thing. No-one else wanted it as they seemingly thought it a 'catering' MW! It is pretty big right enough...
    I managed to keep our previous one running after a good few years of service by replacing door microswitches on at least two occasions - two separate switches failed. I noticed that I could make it work if I pulled gently on the door, so knew it was switch-related. A test meter and the obvious scorch marks on them confirmed the diagnosis. A couple of squid each.

If i can economically repair something i will but both of ours were at end of life ( magnetron on last one), we've been lucky that the first 2 came with high & low racks for the turntable plus 2 wire shelves & 2 solid trays.
    Yep they are big & take up too much room on the worktop, ours is in the space left from the old built in oven.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,677 Forumite
    Options
    Effician said:

This is why i listed it lower down the order of benefits, however the cost of a good unused ( plenty about) but second hand unit like our Cosori 5.5l @ £50 that we bought last year has more than paid for itself
    Like i said i was a skeptic but gave it a try & am pleased i did, even if it didn't save any hard cash i would still have one.
    We are getting one for Xmas as have been sold on the apparent speed of cooking simple meals for one ( often one member of the family wants something different or at a different time) and to experiment a bit with it.
    It cost £90 ( 5.7L with a window ) and I reckon it might save about £50 a year in electricity, depending on how often it gets used.
  • Effician
    Options
    Effician said:

We are getting one for Xmas as have been sold on the apparent speed of cooking simple meals for one ( often one member of the family wants something different or at a different time) and to experiment a bit with it.
    It cost £90 ( 5.7L with a window ) and I reckon it might save about £50 a year in electricity, depending on how often it gets used.

Just had tea so did a check on energy used as an example,   meal for 3 consisting of 3 jacket pots ( total 700g)  + 1kg of tandoori chicken drumsticks & thighs all cooked from raw to be served with salad ,   prepped & served in 45mins .

At 5pm start cooking potatoes in pressure cooker on induction for 35 min , 5:10 start cooking chicken portions in airfryer ( 25 min programme) , plenty of time to prep salad before pots & chicken done,  5:35 remove chicken & rest for 10 mins while pots go in airfryer for 10 mins at 205c to crisp up skin a bit, serve at 5:45  , total electric used was just under 0.8kWh.

• Rosa_Damascena
    Options
    Effician said:
    Effician said:

Just had tea so did a check on energy used as an example,   meal for 3 consisting of 3 jacket pots ( total 700g)  + 1kg of tandoori chicken drumsticks & thighs all cooked from raw to be served with salad ,   prepped & served in 45mins .

At 5pm start cooking potatoes in pressure cooker on induction for 35 min , 5:10 start cooking chicken portions in airfryer ( 25 min programme) , plenty of time to prep salad before pots & chicken done,  5:35 remove chicken & rest for 10 mins while pots go in airfryer for 10 mins at 205c to crisp up skin a bit, serve at 5:45  , total electric used was just under 0.8kWh.

No wonder your name is @Effician !
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills