🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Combination microwave ovens

Options

Comments

• ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 5,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 18 December 2023 at 8:03AM
    Options
    The one I was thinking of is this: https://mda.russellhobbs.com/default/rhm2574.html . Its fan assisted so I didn't think the problem of an undercooked cake tin with a crusty top would be a problem. Comments?

I have lots of ovenware, is there any reason a standard trivet wouldn't work in a combi?
    That RussHobb certainly has the essential features of separate grill and fan oven elements:
    • 25 litre capacity
    • 900W microwave power
    • 1100W grill power
    • 2500W convection power
    • True fan assisted oven
    One thing to be aware of with many such ovens is the 'pre-heat', as these can often fire up both elements, so if - like me - you like to shove the food in early before full temp has been reached, you might find the top slightly scorched... But that's obviously not a fault of the oven - it just does it to get up to temp quickly.
    I cannot comment any more. RussHobb seem to be a decent make, and the only other thing is to compare it with other models on how user-friendly it is. All the 'auto menus' - are they useful for you? The display - does it give you all the info you could require? Is it easy to understand? Can you remember the features, or will you need to reach for the manual? (The 956 was awful - I didn't fully understand it even after reading the booklet - I do not exaggerated. The 959 is very clear.)
    You'd need to read the instructions of each to see what can, and can not, be placed inside. We throw in allsorts - round enamelled metal trays and stuff, with seemingly no issues. That's mostly on 'oven' tho' - not sure I've put them in on 'micro'.

Oh, and Jeepers Cre, er, Bendy, says Hi.

• Mutton_Geoff
    Options
    Aren't air fryers just a fad like Breville sandwich toasters once were? 
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Options
    Possibly, although I made good use of a sandwich toaster between 1989-1994 (A-levels and university). Time will tell!

I've just realised, the last time I used my sandwich maker was over 15 years ago! The number of times I have used my heavy manual sandwich toaster over the hob = zero. It still has the tag on it! I doubt either will get much use now I know how awful the humble Chorleywood loaf is for us.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 5,125 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think so. Genuinely faster and more convenient for many everyday cooking tasks and 'sides'. 
    Garlic bread. Pakoras. Cheese on toast. Things you wouldn't want to fire an oven up for. And then all the usual stuff.
  • Mnoee
    Mnoee Posts: 828 Forumite
    Photogenic Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm not a fan of them - I had a cheap one when my kitchen was being done up, and it's great a cooking beige things from the freezer, but I don't really eat that sort of food unless I have to. Maybe it's because I'm a vegetarian? I can make plenty of sides, but not much with protein that's not from a packet. 

I also have a small oven on my range cooker that heats up super quick and is perfect for a single tray - so if I'm just doing a side, I use that. Just not worth the storage space for me. 

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options

Our sandwich toaster wasn't a fad for us.  We used it for many years and were disappointed when it finally died and there was nothing like it available any more.  Ours just sealed round the edges, not across a diagonal, so we could do things like fried egg toasties, yummie.  My mother bought us a George Foreman grill one Christmas and it still sits unused in the loft.
  • Sistergold
    Sistergold Posts: 2,036 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 18 December 2023 at 10:55AM
    Options
    Murmansk said:
    I'm a big fan of combination microwave ovens BUT remember you can't really use them as a microwave oven when they are in convection mode so if for instance you were to use the convection mode you'd need to wait for it to cool before using microwave mode.

You CAN use all modes as that’s is the whole point of their invention. What you should do is choose the right cooking dish for the modes you will be selecting so don’t use plastic if you then choose microwave+grill function and don’t use metal if you choose microwave+convenction+grill etc. so for instance a glass baking dish will be suitable for all 3, a metal dish for option with no microwave and plastic/glass etc only for microwave. An airfryer has its conveniences and is fast but small. I tried one of the bigger airfryers and I found it not as good as the medium size ones, infact I had to dump it after one use.

End of last year I got a 40L whirlpool combi microwave and it has been a “blast” to use. I have now ditched the airfryer as it is that quick. If you have the space and don’t mind the duplication then for small jobs you could still have a small airfryer on the side. 

But yes if you choose a good combi microwave you then don’t need another oven especially for a small family. Despite having the large capacity combi microwave I still have and need a normal double oven over some weekends or holidays like Christmas and I do use all three. I also like to bake the normal way so would not just have the combi mw.
    Initial mortgage bal £487.5k, current £266.8k, target £243,750(halfway!)
    Mortgage start date first week of July 2019,
    Mortgage term 23yrs(end of June 2042🙇🏽♀️), 
    Target is to pay it off in 10years(by 2030🥳). 
    MFW#10 (2022/23 mfw#34)(2021 mfw#47)(2020 mfw#136)
    £12K in 2021 #54 (in 2020 #148)
    MFiT-T6#27
    To save £100K in 48months start 01/07/2020 Achieved 30/05/2023 👯♀️
    Am a single mom of 4. 
    Do not wait to buy a property, Buy a property and wait. 🤓
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,677 Forumite
    Options
    I thought that, but it does seem that quite a lot of people who have them do use them regularly, which I suppose is a sign that they are here to stay.
    There is a lot of hype around the cost savings ( minimal), and versatility ( limited) and at the end of the day they are just small fan ovens. However they seem handy/good for preparing certain types of foods for one or two persons.
    Will soon find out for real, as we are getting a medium sized one as a Xmas present !
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Options
    I thought that, but it does seem that quite a lot of people who have them do use them regularly, which I suppose is a sign that they are here to stay.
    There is a lot of hype around the cost savings ( minimal), and versatility ( limited) and at the end of the day they are just small fan ovens. However they seem handy/good for preparing certain types of foods for one or two persons.
    Will soon find out for real, as we are getting a medium sized one as a Xmas present !
    I was tempted by one but all the ads I see for them have the trays full of fattening stuff I would never eat (I feel ill if I see a KFC ad on TV, I mean what sort of family has their dinner out of a bucket?)  :D
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Options
    I was tempted by one but all the ads I see for them have the trays full of fattening stuff I would never eat (I feel ill if I see a KFC ad on TV, I mean what sort of family has their dinner out of a bucket?:D
    Plenty!: https://visitbirmingham.com/inspire-me/areas/balti . (The literal translation of balti is "bucket").

@Sistergold - can you expand on your comment "I also like to bake the normal way"? I'm not one for ready made food but the big driver for me to get a combination microwave was to bake small quantities of bakery products without additives (my previous attempts with the breadmaker were consistently dense, and resulted in a load that was far to big to consume before its best). Your post did make me think it might be worth hanging onto the old microwave btw, so as to avoid any accidental meltdowns by visiting family!

No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family