Givenergy woes

Options

Comments

• Spies
    Spies Posts: 2,034 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Surely installer can just swap the kit out and send the givenergy trash back to their supplier? 
    4.29kWp Solar system, 45/55 South/West split in cloudy rainy Cumbria. 
  • ispookie666
    ispookie666 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Spies said:
    Surely installer can just swap the kit out and send the givenergy trash back to their supplier? 
    Sort of 2 months wait for a battery🙄

“Don't raise your voice, improve your argument." - Desmond Tutu

System 1 - 14 x 250W SunModule SW + Enphase ME215 microinverters (July 2015)
    System 2 - 20 x 330W Jinko Panels + Enphase IQ7+ microinverters (Jan 2022) + Givenergy AC Coupled inverter + 2 * 8.2KWh Battery (May 2022) + Mitsubishi 7.1 KW and 2* Daikin 2.5 KW A2A Heat Pump
  • ispookie666
    Options
    Formal letter of complaint in
    If anyone is in the market and thinking of Givenergy, Run and Hide

System 2 - 20 x 330W Jinko Panels + Enphase IQ7+ microinverters (Jan 2022) + Givenergy AC Coupled inverter + 2 * 8.2KWh Battery (May 2022) + Mitsubishi 7.1 KW and 2* Daikin 2.5 KW A2A Heat Pump
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,864 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Formal letter of complaint in
    If anyone is in the market and thinking of Givenergy, Run and Hide
    Perhaps I didn’t notice the word ‘avoid’ in the heading previously or have you just added it. I was criticised for extrapolating from my own personal experience even though it was reflective of what others had said earlier. 

You might want to dial the heading and the ‘run and hide’ comment back a bit. 
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • ispookie666
    Options
    I'll have a think about it but it reflects the company.  There are a few others who have had the same thing with the company.  
    Givenergy want the installers to pay a deposit before the engineers will come to check on a Non Functioning system. I believe this is a very shady practice. Either they do not train their installers well or just devious.  

20 days of reporting this to Givenergy and not even a proposed date for the engineer to come out.  

• JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,864 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'll have a think about it but it reflects the company.  There are a few others who have had the same thing with the company.  
    Givenergy want the installers to pay a deposit before the engineers will come to check on a Non Functioning system. I believe this is a very shady practice. Either they do not train their installers well or just devious.  

20 days of reporting this to Givenergy and not even a proposed date for the engineer to come out.  
    Fair enough. I wasn’t trying to make light of your frustration or the very poor service you have received. 
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • 94JDH
    94JDH Posts: 143 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I've seen the posts over on a givenergy user page - and frankly their representative is correct in their stance.
    They've not installed the products, are not affiliated - just on their approved list of installers.
    Why should Givenergy directly sort out the problem, when the installer should be doing it? It is their problem indirectly if the unit is faulty, not if it's installed incorrectly.
    They've said they'd send out and Engineer on a submission of £100 refundable deposit by the installer if the equipment is at fault.
    At last count there were over 10,000 system installs, so as numbers increase its almost inevitable that more issues will potentially come to light.
    18 x 390W (7.02kW) East/West split over two flat roof areas at 10 degrees inclination.
  • ispookie666
    Options
    @94JDH Maybe GE should state this outright and all installers should be aware. This is the first time I have come across this practice, maybe my experience is limited.  

My installer came out and did the checks and provided all the information to GE quickly.  I cannot see a good enough reason for my installer to not have done this(they have visited the site). 
    I fail to understand how a system which was working well (including EPS) can suddenly become a "poor installation".  

I fail to understand why GE are refusing to replace faulty device with new ones?   

Finally, the representative was wholly inaccurate when they stated that this was adequately addressed.  

• 94JDH
    94JDH Posts: 143 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It wouldn't be economically viable for an engineer from the company to turn up to site to inspect an installation by an installer without some remuneration - it is a business after all.

It also isn't a large amount of money that also is backed up as being refundable should the inspection deem the fault is with the equipment not the install, and from experience it's alot easier to have the money upfront rather than chasing it from the installer afterwards.

I haven't seen anywhere where there has been refusal to replace, which I agree if faulty should be replaced in a timely manner. Whether that is the installer, ensuring he has access to limited stocks in these circumstances or direct from the manufacturer.

Their representatives seem fairly active on Facebook pages ( not their own, but two groups) even into the evening.

My only concern is the quick turnaround of firmware updates which seem to be causing some issues for certain set ups as they're are numerous combinations - there was mention of an additional piece of hardware (rather than software) that is in development to manage multiple plants, but no indication on availability.

18 x 390W (7.02kW) East/West split over two flat roof areas at 10 degrees inclination.
  • Pulpdiction
    Pulpdiction Posts: 228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Spoken to my installer today - due to have mine installed in 4 weeks - if stock arrives, he said that they are asking all installers who sign up to place a 'bond' with them, the reason is they have turned up to so many poor installations which they have had to fix due to shoddy workmanship or installers not following the prescribed installation process resulting in faults, damage to kit etc.  My installer have said they have over 100 systems installed, there have been a few issues, but because they have the bond in place they come out as soon as they can, the lead times have gone up because of the rate at which the company is growing but they are training more engineers and he has not known an issue go beyond a week without being resolved, unless they don't have the parts in stock.  Installer also said it was the best of those they had dealt with in terms of engineers on the ground resolving issues, lots of third parties don't have their own engineering teams or small teams of office based who have to come out for specific visits, no dedicated field force.  Also paying on credit card for added protection.

So I am confident to go ahead given the assurances.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback