We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Debt and Caring

1…260262264265266

Comments

  • I did not succumb, mostly because I saw the connecting bus appear and ran for it. Not sure I made the best impression on bus drivers yesterday 🤣 Of course I then arrived at my sister's before anyone was up and ended up sitting in the back garden until my BIL and middle nephew appeared.

    A strange day with a new routine but I feel it was successful. I took over dinner time as I'm fed up battling my nephew over food he doesn't eat. So that was less hassle. He watched less TV as well.

    Still a bit spaced out this week although it looks like I'll be doing overtime today so fun

  • PennysIntoPounds
    PennysIntoPounds Posts: 7,402 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Well done on asbestos checks and paying dentist in full and bus doings and child care things, lots to be satisfied with there

  • I have continued (spending all my money) and bought Cutie Pie (middle nephew) his birthday present. It's this week so I'm leaving it a tad late but was quite stuck for time and brain space. I went to the toy shop last night and honestly, they seem to already have one of every category in the place except for the pink stuff. I stopped agonising over the decision though when I realised I couldn't remember what I'd bought Eldest Nephew for his third birthday.

    I went to the library and managed to pick up a reservation before they sent it back which has not been the case lately. While I was there I saw a book called Autumn so I got that as well.

    I have a shift tonight and tomorrow which will hopefully pay for the spending I've done these last two days. I wasn't going to work Sunday as Eldest Nephew cries when I leave but I shall just have to prepare him as tears will not pay for my bike insurance.

  • Another small blow to report. I've been disinvited from pumpkin picking this year, she has booked it for a Saturday which is a work day for me. I'm really quite upset about it, that I'm not important enough to them to want me there even though they'll have to pay extra (two cars needed).

    I think I'll try and find something Halloween-y to do with boys maybe to replace it.

    Really feeling the effects of lack of rest this week. I got as far as writing my notice letter but not resolved enough to hand it in. There are too many thinks I don't have information on and it's really hard to think at the moment. I'm taking Sunday as a rest day I think.

  • PennysIntoPounds
    PennysIntoPounds Posts: 7,402 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Sorry to hear that, she does seem very inconsiderate at times, especially when you do so much to help.

    Good thinking to wait until more information is available and to have a rest day

  • It sucks because Halloween is my favourite holiday. Christmas and birthdays tend to be less enjoyable, I'm usually quite tense after buying gifts etc. Halloween is fun because you can just turn up and take fun pictures. I'm going to try and think of something Halloween-y to do just for me.

    Booked two shifts this week- was tempted to book another for this evening but resisted as there was stuff needing sorted out. Took the deliveroo option for grocery shopping which was more expensive but I had my very heavy bike lock to bring home. Not walking that around sainsbugs. Hopefully the bike cover will be delivered this evening and then I can start taking it out. Howling wind and rain here so glad I'm tucked up at home.

    Today's eating theme has been rice- had a L1dl salmon sushi platter for lunch then a seaweed sushi wrap for snack when I got home. When my delivery arrived I made rice with butter chicken. It has definitely been a comfort food kind of day, thankfully I am off the walking jobs tomorrow.

  • PennysIntoPounds
    PennysIntoPounds Posts: 7,402 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Comfort food day here too, the rain was lashing down and frankly I'm surprised we held out until mid afternoon for tea and biscuits!

    Aw I'm really sorry about Halloween, I feel your hurt. Absolutely still enjoy it including doing nice things for yourself. Is there a park nearby you could go for a walk in to admire the changing leaves and light? Even better if there's a seasonal hot chocolate or glass of beer or wine at the end of the walk, or waiting for you at home.

    Last year on my diary at this time of year I was talking about resisting the urge of buying boo boxes (boo boxes being a clever seasonal marketing trick for making you buy Halloween and Autumn stuff for your bestie and them obviously being obliged to do the same!).

    I'm likely to do what I did and make myself my own 'boo box' i.e. making an effort to place and use blankets, having some comforting snacks and drinks in that are only for when seasonal reassurance is craved, looking through books and jigsaws for autumnal or spooky things and making sure they're easily accessible, bothering to light a candle etc

  • Purplelady65
    Purplelady65 Posts: 321 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 9 September at 12:36AM

    Have you told your sister how you feel? She may not realise how upset and disappointed you are. Hopefully she could rearrange the pumpkin picking for another date when you’re free.

  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 15,689 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    That's sad about the pumpkin picking, I hope you can find something nice to do with the boys in place of going along - but treat yourself to a pumpkin and save seeds to plant with the boys!

    Sunday as a rest day is a brilliant choice, you need some breathing space.

    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

    Fashion on the Ration 2025: Fabric 2, men's socks 3, Duvet 7.5, 2 t-shirts 10, men's socks 3, uniform top 0, hat 0, shoes 5 = 30.5/68
    2024: Trainers 5, dress 7, slippers 5, 2 prs socks (gift) 2, 3 prs white socks 3, t-shirts x 2 10, 6 prs socks: mostly gifts 6, duvet set 7.5 = 45.5/68 coupons
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Your boo box sounds like my every day life PiP lol. I usually have a candle burning in the evening, a (weighted/compression) blanket and some sort of comforting drink. Currently hot chocolate.

    Honestly, telling her how I feel usually ends up making me feel worse. My family are not a safe place for my emotions, they don't really like to reflect on their actions and change their behaviours.

    Never thought about saving the seeds Cherry, the last pumpkin went a bit yuck though.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.