Estranged wife

Options
123457»

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Lavendyr said:
    Android07 said:
    Lavendyr said:
    Android07 said:
    You sound unbelievably unpleasant. I would prepare to lose a lot of money very quickly. Also incel threads on reddit may be more to your taste if you want to spout off with other misogynists about men's rights being eradicated.

!!!!!!? Where did that come from?
    Nice to see you back @Android07 - any update on your situation?

Nothing. No contact from wife in a year now. Hasn't shown child either!
    She has changed numbers and does not reply to my emails.
    A year? You started this thread six months ago.

Have you done any of the things suggested? 

Quoting from your original post: 

"-I should apply for a child contact order to see my little one. But, this is bloody expensive and I am not financially stable now! A family friend's son ended up spending 2 years in court and £30k in solicitor & court fees before being able to see his child.
    -The next things is child maintenance. My wife has not come after me (yet) to claim this. I understand that if I earn £3k a month, it comes to about £300 according to govt website calculators.
    - And the very last thing is divorce. That is also bloody expensive. Googling suggests it takes a few months but costs £10-15k in solicitor fees and I also have to give away half of my bank balance."

The OP did start this thread 6 months ago.
     But he also said his wife had been left 5 months before that.

I agree that the OP needs to consider his next steps.
  • tightauldgit
    tightauldgit Posts: 2,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Out of interest, how much does a permanent right to remain in the UK cost? This is not including solicitors/air fare fees, cab fees to the passport office etc.

Example.  Some uk citizen marry a person from  Pakistan/China/etc/etc.

Am I wrong to state it takes five years, Englis written and oral tests, other tests ,medical tests - what is the total cost as a mate said it cost him close to 15k I'm not sure if he was pulling my leg or not. He also said you can't be on benefits and have to prove via spouse sponsorship visa you are able to house and fully support your OH.

Thanks

PS: Sorry OP but I noted your wife is from overseas so I thought I'd ask for someone.
    If you want to marry someone here in the UK and then go through the process to indefinite leave to remain you will need to. 

1. Get a fiancee visa first to get married 
    2. Get married and get leave to remain for two years
    3. Apply for indefinite leave to remain

Each stage of that is 1000 - 2000 a pop so probably 5 or 6 grand in visa fees. Plus there's the health surcharge now which I think is 600 odd quid a year. 

There is the life in the UK test as well which. It's 50 quid but you need to prep for it as well. 

With all the other bits of admin and paperwork 10k would seem a fair estimate of a bottom line and obviously it can be more. 

I think the minimum earnings requirement now is about 19k a year to be allowed to sponsor a spouse plus another 3.5k per dependent child. And you have to show you have accommodation for them i.e. own or rent a house suitable for the family. 
  • diystarter7
    diystarter7 Posts: 5,202 Forumite
    Options
    Out of interest, how much does a permanent right to remain in the UK cost? This is not including solicitors/air fare fees, cab fees to the passport office etc.

Am I wrong to state it takes five years, Englis written and oral tests, other tests ,medical tests - what is the total cost as a mate said it cost him close to 15k I'm not sure if he was pulling my leg or not. He also said you can't be on benefits and have to prove via spouse sponsorship visa you are able to house and fully support your OH.

Thanks

PS: Sorry OP but I noted your wife is from overseas so I thought I'd ask for someone.
    If you want to marry someone here in the UK and then go through the process to indefinite leave to remain you will need to. 

Each stage of that is 1000 - 2000 a pop so probably 5 or 6 grand in visa fees. Plus there's the health surcharge now which I think is 600 odd quid a year. 

There is the life in the UK test as well which. It's 50 quid but you need to prep for it as well. 

With all the other bits of admin and paperwork 10k would seem a fair estimate of a bottom line and obviously it can be more. 

I think the minimum earnings requirement now is about 19k a year to be allowed to sponsor a spouse plus another 3.5k per dependent child. And you have to show you have accommodation for them i.e. own or rent a house suitable for the family. 
    Many thanks. I've been looking at Goolde and it is 19k wage.
    If the person you bring here then wants a Brit passport at the end of the process ie change from their national one its about 1800 quid.

Something re ilets the medicals.

I think my mate was telling the truth close to 15k I guess.

No wonder you get the boat people/via lorry etc they dont have to pay any of that and get a place to live in thrown in.
  • tightauldgit
    tightauldgit Posts: 2,628 Forumite
    Options

Thanks

If the person you bring here then wants a Brit passport at the end of the process ie change from their national one its about 1800 quid.

No wonder you get the boat people/via lorry etc they dont have to pay any of that and get a place to live in thrown in.
    It's a ridiculous and prohibitively expensive process. I know of a lot of UK people overseas with foreign spouses who would have loved to come back to the UK at some point but it was basically made impossible for them by the immigration process. 

Oh and yes, the process i mentioned only gets you to permanent residency, not citizenship. If you want a passport and right to vote etc then there is still that further step. Think that still needs 5 years of residence here as well as the fees. 
  • diystarter7
    diystarter7 Posts: 5,202 Forumite
    Options

Thanks

It's a ridiculous and prohibitively expensive process. I know of a lot of UK people overseas with foreign spouses who would have loved to come back to the UK at some point but it was basically made impossible for them by the immigration process. 

Oh and yes, the process i mentioned only gets you to permanent residency, not citizenship. If you want a passport and right to vote etc then there is still that further step. Think that still needs 5 years of residence here as well as the fees. 
    Totally agree with you.
    Yes re permanent stay and citizenship. That makes it around the 15k my mate said and I wrongly thought he was pulling my leg.
    You also have to be working/earning 19k and a place to live

It's very unfair. Thanks again.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport