We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Pay off mortgage and start having even more fun 😁
Comments
-
Thank you all for the kind wishes, I feel a bit of a drama queen 😆 well doctor said my lungs are fine and I’ve probably damaged my ribs or muscles, so it should be ok in a week or two, but if it gets as bad as Sunday night again to go starght to A&E which I’m not sure makes sense 🤷♀️anyway last night was nowhere near as bad. Blood check at hospital today and best friend is kindly driving me as I’m not really up to it still. Dh got a bit of a moan from me last night and has now done two loads of washing and put all the dry stuff away.
So my exciting news today is , I’ve opened a new savings account 😁 The cc is almost gone and would have been had I not booked a couple of excursions for next years holiday earlier than I had planned, but that will be gone by end October. So I’ve transferred £1000 into it as a first payment! For the first time in our lives we will hopefully have savings that are not just “savings pots” towards the dentist or a holiday or whatever, but actual longer term savings. Really it’s going to be a cushion for when dh retires to fall back on (unless we move or book a long cruise 🤣) chat gpt tells me that our financial weakness is savings which makes sense really.So my plan is to save hard for the next year or so while also setting aside money for the holidays we already have booked, the year after we may carry on like that or possibly save more and holiday less (maybe!😂) we have had a busy year but I’m finding there’s just more and more I would like to see and I’m aware that even if health is good energy levels are different now. There’s lots more we need to see up North still, plus I’d love to go back to Scotland, we went for a couple of days in a caravan to visit a great Aunt when dd was just two in Dumbarton and drove around Loch Lomond which was just amazing, so perhaps similar to that but more of a road trip further.
The difference now of course is that dh doesn’t get paid when he’s off, so I have an inbuilt savings pot that takes £200pm plus every extra week's wage when it’s a five week month and so far it’s about what we need plus I’m trying to build up some extra days for if he’s sick. He also has an enforced two weeks off at Xmas, so it feels bad not to make use of at least some of that time off, often we go to York after Xmas but last year we didn’t, perhaps this year we will.
Anyway, enough holiday waffle, I think it’s time for an end of year challenge 🙂 I always used to do an Oct- Dec live off £1000 challenge. Strictly speaking we don’t need to do that anymore while dh is still working and the mortgage (and almost debts) are gone. So I’m thinking of trimming the everything budget down by £100 pm, making the total £1200 until Jan, if we can do this £300 would pay for a nice trip to York while dh is off over Xmas, perhaps even a nice meal out up there.
I’m also thinking of doing a non financially related challenge, so I thought perhaps a 15 min outside walk per day? Sounds like little time I know and I am assuming that mostly I’ll go for longer but I’ve all but stopped going for walks. Earlier this year when I was very stressed I was going for very long walks in all weathers but I just stopped altogether. So that’s the plan, along with menu planning for the week and actually cooking what I have planned 🙂MFW 67 - Finally mortgage free! 💙😁5 -
Actually cooking what you have planned is the hardest bit, I find 🤦♀️! Glad the Doctor was able to give you some reassurance, and I look forward to hearing about your savings growing 😀😀😀!
Mortgage start: £65,495 (March 2016)
Cleared 🧚♀️🧚♀️🧚♀️!!! In 5 years, 1 month and 29 days
Total amount repaid: £72,307.03. £1.10 repaid for every £1.00 borrowed
Finally earning interest instead of paying it!!!1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

