We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Pay off mortgage and start having even more fun 😁

1…258259260262264

Comments

  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 8,626 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I ❤️Slow cooker/soup/stew season too newgirly - much easier to be MSE! 😁 Is this the 'all the family' cruise you're going on? Already? Gosh - that's come around quick if it is.

    Greying X

    GC October 2026 £5.38/£232.50
    GC September 2026 £226.57/£225
    GC August 2026 £218.02/£232.50
    GC July 2026 £237.82/£232.50
    GC June 2026 £225.39/£225
    Non-food spend October 2026 £0/£80
    Bulk Fund 2026 Month 9/12 - £0/£20.40 (reducing balance - start £120)
  • South_coast
    South_coast Posts: 6,684 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Do not re-book, just make it work! I'm sure the floor/ceiling will be soundproofed, you won't be hearing duff duff duff all night every night for a month! (And if you do then just complain and they will either move you to a different cabin or give you some lovely credit to use on another trip 👍)

    Mortgage start: £65,495 (March 2016)
    Cleared 🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️!!! In 5 years, 1 month and 29 days
    Total amount repaid: £72,307.03. £1.10 repaid for every £1.00 borrowed

    Finally earning interest instead of paying it!!!
  • greent
    greent Posts: 11,108 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Ooh - I wouldn't be too sure of the lack of noise - DD and her boyfriend went on a cruise in April and their cabin was under a club and they were disturbed most nights 🫤

    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20

    2026 Declutter campaign awards 2x star
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 9,599 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper

    Depends if it’s a fully booked cruise or not as well 🙂


    Well, finally I have time to post 🤣 this last week and a bit have been a whirlwind. We had fantastic time away and although it was not the cruise we originally planned with dd as we missed her, we made the best of it.
    The boys whom we expected to see for a couple of dinners and drinks spent a huge amount of time with us and each other which was a lovely surprise to be honest. My parents popped up briefly from time to time as is their way. The kids all booked a waterfall day trip together and enjoyed it even bringing bag a bottle of water for us all to sample at dinner.
    I took a games pouch with mini connect four, cards, uno etc. but ds2 had of course brought a full size scrabble with him 😁 so time was spent eating, playing games, drinking , dancing and getting wet in Norway 😂 I wandered down in olden along the waters edge to watch the kids ( the most stunning place I’ve been to) previously we have had a walk around but this time I followed the kids and dh along the fjord filming them kayaking, what a wonderful memory ❤️


    Spending wise I thought we would have lots of our £500 plus £200 credit left, but as the kids spent a VAST amount on a trip onboard with the money we gave them we did end up spending a bit more, they registered their own cards for drinks but we bought wine at night etc. a lots of rounds of drinks. Amazingly though we ended up with the grand total of 18p left of the budget after all expenses! I’m glad they did the trip mind as they had a whole day together doing something memorable.


    Anyway, back to being frugal for a bit, I’ve not enough money to pay for our haunted hotel Halloween night away yet 👻


    To do list for this week:


    repeat prescription, blood test form from gp


    book an echo scan and cardiology appointment


    check when holiday insurance renewal is


    do mountain of washing still left ( there was a major spider incident of epic proportions the day before I went away, I may tell the story when I’ve got time 😆)


    post vinted parcel


    remove some items from this house, I’m starting decluttering 😩


    Research and purchase a new slow cooker

    MFW 67 - Finally mortgage free! 💙😁
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 3,342 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    That sounds like a fabulous holiday, spending time together with your children as adults must have been wonderful

    Dxx

    22: 3🏅 4⭐ 23: 5🏅 6 ⭐ 24 1🏅 2⭐ 25 🏅 🥈2⭐ 26 🥈 Never save something for a special occasion. Every day is a special occasion. The diff between what you were yesterday and what you'll be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If youre not already using a thing you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney The barrier standing between you & what youre truly capable of isnt lack of info, ideas or techniques. The secret is 'do it'
  • South_coast
    South_coast Posts: 6,684 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Mortgage start: £65,495 (March 2016)
    Cleared 🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️!!! In 5 years, 1 month and 29 days
    Total amount repaid: £72,307.03. £1.10 repaid for every £1.00 borrowed

    Finally earning interest instead of paying it!!!
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 9,783 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic

    It sounds like you had a wonderful holiday - and I'm envious of the Norwegian rain!

    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

    'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway


  • South_coast
    South_coast Posts: 6,684 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    LOL, we are slow cooker twins 🤣 I never normally buy from Amazon, but I only learned then that you get free delivery if you collect it 🤯

    Mortgage start: £65,495 (March 2016)
    Cleared 🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️!!! In 5 years, 1 month and 29 days
    Total amount repaid: £72,307.03. £1.10 repaid for every £1.00 borrowed

    Finally earning interest instead of paying it!!!
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 9,599 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper

    Slow cooker twins 🤣


    I’m still poorly, if anything it got a lot worse a few days ago so it’s not been fun. I’ve been mostly on the sofa or in bed the last few days and dh is away this weekend for his friends 60th, not great timing as the kitchen is a long walk from the bedroom if I want a drink 😆


    I actually forgot my warfarin check at hospital Tuesday (it’s not too bad as there’s hundreds seem in a few hours) but I can’t believe forgot 😳 so now I’ve got that again this tuesday, 6 monthly blood test Thursday and flu and maybe covid jabs Friday 😂 I should probably check on the normal blood test as if I’m ill it’s likely to show something up that it wouldn’t usually?

    Anyway, some good news is I managed to get a code for o@sis tickets and ds1 came over at 8.30 am yesterday to take over the iPad as I was not really up to it, he managed to get four tickets including coach travel so is very happy, I declined one as in his words knebworth is “a slog” which means not suitable for me 😂 both toilet wise, standing around wise etc. since then my brother who is having one of the tickets has also got a code so is trying today, now dh wants to go 🙄 I don’t really fancy knebworth but the thought of him going and not me is really irritating as he doesn’t listen to them 🤣 however it will be a memorable day out with ds1 who is a big fan. Just need to find the brace yourself- £280 to pay for it! Unbelievable it’s cheaper than last year due to lack of dynamic pricing…..

    The food budget actually has a fair bit of money in it so I think a chunk of it will come from there, we were away for a week and I’ve not bought lots of food lately, so perhaps I can stretch out until the end of the month and make the most of that. But it will still be a very generous Xmas present as our budget this year was going to be £50 each.

    I’ve also got a little bit left in my personal spending pot this month (about £80) and was thinking of trying to improve our in home coffee making situation, I love having two Cappucinnos a day, I still drink normal instant and tea a lot too but they are my daily treat. I have a dulc3 gust0 machine which fits the Aldi pods which I prefer to the packet ones, but I’d really like to not be using the pods (plastic wise ). I’m no coffee connoisseur, more of a frothy and flavoured sometimes person of that makes sense 😂 I’m wondering what might be best and if it’s achievable on a shoestring or if I should start saving for a big proper machine? Would just a milk frother do the trick I wonder? Any suggestions would be very welcome 😊

    MFW 67 - Finally mortgage free! 💙😁
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.