Weekly Flylady Thread 15th November 2021
Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread.
What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.
You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!
Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.
Thank you Valli for last week's thread
Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related content! (i.e. it should be on-topic)
The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!
Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up
These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.
Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.
A few of the basics before we start the week -
Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!
Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.
Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.
Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.
Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis
HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. .other music may be used if you prefer!
WM ~ Washing machine
TD ~ Tumble dryer
SC ~ Slowcooker
BM ~ Breadmaker
DW ~ Dishwasher
SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
NN ~ nice neighbour
Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
ETA ~ Edited to add
Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- that’s your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to former Flylady AnW's Mum for this one
RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
MAD half hour - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stopping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!
Frog (or other amphibian) ~ google 'eat that frog'
Spoons ~ google 'but you don't look sick' and/or 'The Spoon Theory'.
Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!
Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide
PLEASE REMEMBER YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO A COMPLETE LIST EVERY DAY!
Now for this week:...
~ Lovely Living Room, Happy Hall and Safe Stairs
Declutter all these areas
Vacuum these areas
Clean windows in these areas, check curtains/nets/blinds while you are there, do they need a clean?
Dust any areas below eye level
Dust anything above eye level (if safe to do so)
Clear anything that shouldn't be where it is, should the magazines really be on the floor?
Wash any soft furnishings in need
Tidy coats/shoes bags etc
Extra Mission Tasks~ if you want to do more
- Clean windows in these areas, check curtains/nets/blinds while you are there, do they need a clean?
- Check you have your Christmas card list done, if it's not done at least spend 10 minutes on it
- Spend 15 minutes sorting paperwork, dealing with anything urgent NOW
- Have you booked your Christmas shopping delivery slots?
- Spend half an hour doing something for yourself
- 27 Fling Boogie, you know the routine, grab a bag and clear that clutter!
- Clean out the vacuum cleaner, empty the bag/bucket, clean filters if they are washable MAKE SURE YOU DON'T PUT THEM BACK UNTIL THEY ARE DRY!
~ Kitchen and dining room
Clear and wipe work surfaces
Wipe down all the major appliances.. clean filters/drawers/seals etc
Wipe over the cupboards fronts and kickboards
Wipe the tables and replace the cloth if necessary
Sweep and mop the floors
Run appliances through a 'clean' wash
Deweb and defluff these rooms
Clear and mop/vacuum the floors
Scrub down the dining chairs..
Binbag dance! Grab a binbag.. fill it up.. and chuck it out!
Clean the oven.. and the shelves!
Extras - help yourself!
- Wipe and replace ALL the small appliances
- Empty and wash out bins
- S&S the fridge
- Clear out a manky cupboard
- Check the freezer, see what needs using up..
- If you want a christmas supermarket delivery you need to book it this week, if you haven't already done it!
~ Master Bedrooms and Landings
Remove floordrobe, make sure all clothes are put away neatly
Strip bed linen and wash, replace with clean linen
Vacuum floors in these areas
Clean tops of drawers
Extra mission tasks, as always if you fancy an extra challenge try one or more of these
- Clean windows in these areas
- Check through drawers, anything that should have been thrown out ages ago?
- Cobweb removal upstairs, go on grab a duster and swipe them down
- Clean a set of curtains, nets or blinds
- Clean light fittings and light switches in any room, more than one if you like
- Plan your shopping list for your christmas goodies.. don't forget the turkey! If you are ordering stuff from local shops.. pork pies/meat etc get it done this week!
Thursday - Study/PC area and Bathrooms
Clean floors in these rooms
Clean baths, toilets and sinks
Clear any clutter from desk
Dust PC and desk and wipe off those cup rings!!
Wipe keyboard, house phone, sockets, switches and mouse etc
Wash your bathroom mats
Wipe down tiles in bathroom
Delete 10 links in your favourites which you no longer use or don't work
Clean shower screen/curtain if you have one/if required
Extra tasks list, as usual choose one or more
- Clear a hotspot, if it's bad at least spend 10 minutes on it
- Clean windows in these rooms
- Check house for places where draughts are getting in such as doors, windows etc and see if there are ways to stop it
- Clean out that airing cupboard, get rid of those things you don't need, you can use dead towels as cleaning cloths etc be ruthless! Yes this means parting with the 'just in case' things you have kept and you'll never use!
- Clean the toilet bowl on the outside and the floor in front of it, especially for those with little boys!
Friday!!~ those frightening kids rooms and spare rooms!
Declutter the floors
Clear away anything that isn't in it's place, clothes, toys, books etc
Dusting.. all those shelves and flat surfaces!! Don’t forget the light shade and curtain pole!!!
Put all the discs in their boxes and the books on the shelves and the toys in the chests!
Sort through a chest of drawers/wardrobe and fling anything that no longer fits.
Vacuum the floor, even if it's just where you can see
Strip beds, turn and vacuum mattresses!! and replace with fresh linen .. check if duvets need freshening up too!!
Wipe any sticky marks off walls and doors
Drag the junk from under the bed and put it in its proper homes.
Fill a binbag for charity shop.. Santa will be here in 36 days so make some space!
Dust and vacuum and wipe of sticky grotty bits.
Tidy a box of 'stuff'
Binbag dance!.. See how many toys you can fling before the large guy in red arrives.
- Check through what decorations etc you have and what needs replacing/buying/finding, check lights etc
- Catch up on yesterdays list! We keep getting behind!
- Update spreadsheets.. meal plans, finances etc
- Scrub your grill pan..
- Clean where your Christmas tree and any other decorations are going.
- Contact anyone you don't have address for for Christmas cards
- Check what else you need to buy or make for Christmas presents
- Wipe over ALL the upstairs doors!!
Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17