Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

What would you do with £10k, £20k, £50k, £100k, £500k?

Replies

• LangtangLangtang Forumite
    419 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    ianthy said:
    £10k - Buy a Rolex watch.

Good luck with that
    You’d be surprised how “affordable” they can be new. I particularly like hunting down nice examples of used ones (I think the term these days is pre-loved!)
    It'll be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end....
  • Alistair31Alistair31 Forumite
    871 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Langtang said:
    ianthy said:

Good luck with that
    You’d be surprised how “affordable” they can be new. I particularly like hunting down nice examples of used ones (I think the term these days is pre-loved!)

I was more thinking lack of availability. 
  • ianthyianthy Forumite
    168 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    Forumite
    ianthy said:

Good luck with that
    Why not? The Rolex Oyster Perpetual is just under £5k. Please can I have one with a yellow face please. 
  • UnicornucopiaUnicornucopia Forumite
    37 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    £10k - Contribution to our children's weddings next year
    £20k - As above plus topping up the grandchildren's junior ISAs
    £50k - As above plus £10K each to our children to clear debts/reduce mortgages
    £100k - As above plus solar panels/heat pump for our home
    £500k - As above plus invest in a rental property to generate ongoing income and assist in our old age care costs
  • kimwpkimwp Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Mine is very boring - use the money to accelerate my financial plan by increasing my pension salary sacrifice to the NI and other limits that apply and using the windfall money to compensate for the drop in income. The aim of the plan is to not need to work so I can have a dog 😃
  • edited 27 November 2021 at 7:19AM
    wmb194wmb194 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 27 November 2021 at 7:19AM
    ianthy said:
    ianthy said:

Good luck with that
    Why not? The Rolex Oyster Perpetual is just under £5k. Please can I have one with a yellow face please. 
    They're unavailable to randoms walking in from the street. On the second hand market they go for way over list price, looks like c.£11k for the yellow dialled 41mm. The 'Tiffany' blue dialled version is even more.

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/search/index.htm?query=Rolex+124300+yellow&dosearch=true&searchexplain=false&watchTypes=U&accessoryTypes=
  • hiraethhhiraethh Forumite
    17 Posts
    10 Posts
    Forumite
    £10k - Family holiday of a lifetime.
    £20k - Invest it in my S&S ISA.
    £50k - Use it for house deposit.
    £100k - House reno and antique furniture, if anything left over then I’d like to max out premium bonds and buy a new TV.
    £500k - Scrap the house deposit and buy my dream house outright.
  • enthusiasticsaverenthusiasticsaver Forumite, Ambassador
    13.5K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Ambassador
    £10k Put towards a new car. 
    £20k New car and gift to daughters. 
    £50k Gift to daughters, Brand new car.
    £100k Brand New Car, Gift to daughters and long haul holiday. Invest the rest.
    £500k As above. 
    Early retired in December 2017. Debt counsellor for a High Street bank in a previous life. I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert. Save £12k in 2022 challenge #36 £12,000/£12,000 November 2022 CHALLENGE COMPLETED
  • Bridlington1Bridlington1 Forumite
    412 Posts
    100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    £10k save it for a house deposit
    £20k as above
    £50k as above
    £100k buy a house/flat but depending on inflation it could be as above
    £500k buy a house/flat outright with a sea view and put the rest in a pension
  • edited 21 June at 12:39PM
    jcuurthhtjcuurthht Forumite
    295 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 21 June at 12:39PM
    We are about to buy a house which needs some improvements, so I'll try and give my answers assuming we complete:

• £10k Improve property insulation + heating
    • £20k as above
    • £50k Camper van
    • £100k Invest in Vanguard FTSE All-World and decrease my financial independence (FIRE) timeline
    • £500k as above

I'd try and avoid lifestyle inflation at all costs. Though my wife may find other horse-related ways to spend the money.

I just inherited around 600k, and I'm not using any of that to purchase the house, so I'll probably get to do all of the above. I am extremely fortunate.