🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

NST October 2021: Fit for Purpose

Options

NST October: Fit for Purpose

Welcome to another NST challenge. We are Turtles, Ninja Saving Turtles. We are in this together. We look out for and after each other and no turtle is ever left behind.

What is your purpose? What do you want from October? What‘s your goal/aim? Choose one for these three areas and decide upon a mini step to do consistently throughout the month: health + wealth  + a life well-lived.

Now, to the challenge:

Fun. Have some. Have lots! Free, if possible.

Intellectual pursuit. Or have a go at a new skill.

Thankfulness – post 3+ gratitudes each day. This means you’ll check in daily. And that helps to keep you accountable.

Food – eat well, eat simply. Nourish your body. Need to improve? Try to add an extra portion of veg in to your meals.

Overhaul one area. It could be a financial one. A physical part of a room. A habit…

Read a couple of books for fun (I’ve just taken out 12 form the library and have 3 weeks in which to read them – yikes!)

Plan this month – activities, spends (little and often or more fixed), NSDs 12-18 please, half term. An NSD is not scuppered if you only buy reduced food, fuel/travel, medication. If you expect some ad hoc payments, put the money for them aside at the start of the month.

Understand what brings you joy/makes you cross/improves your life. Bring more of the good stuff into your day to day life.

Rejoice in all the good things you have. Reduce the stuff that is not good for you. One ‘paper clip’ at a time…

Plan for December and the winter months. Do you need to build up a stock of easy meals? I hang fleecy curtains on the front door and the door from the hallway to the living room (open plan) to reduce drafts. All our bedrooms have fleecy lined curtains. A thermos keeps drinks warm and reduces kettle usage. The microwaveable polar bears will be well used. And that day will happen. Pare it back. Make it enjoyable. If you are giving gifts, search for meaningful ones.

Outside please. You know it is good for you! You also know that October is when it starts to get dark and the heating goes on and it is just so much easier to stay indoors. But turtles live outside.

Stop and simply be. Let the whirlwind of life pause for a while each day. I aim for a 3 min Headspace meditation each day as that is do-able. Simplify. I have also started spending 1 minute per day on an area for 1 week. It does make a surprising difference!

Extend a hand. If you are struggling financially, then offer kindness. If you can, donate money/time/items.

The challenge runs for the whole month of October. The chaise longue will be heated and ready for occupation, whether you need the naughty step or a sit down. A waiting list will be employed if it becomes too popular…

Who is with me?

NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!

Comments

• Kerry_Woman
    Options
    Can you please add me to the list.  Thanks.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Me please! X
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Deni_debt-free_dreamer
    Options
    me please apple x
    LBM - October 2018; finally debt free on 16 March 2021
    2023 Mortgage Free Wannabee #92023 Mortgage free in March 23 !
    Decluttering Campaign member 2023🏅🏅 🏅⭐️⭐️
    Decluttering Campaign Member 2024 🏅🏅
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I was wondering whether to sit on the sidelines for this one but it sounds like what I need. I'll take the chaise longue until someone else needs it. (that's a count me in please apple)
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • lcc86
    lcc86 Posts: 2,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Me please Apple!
    Save £3,000 emergency fund #79 - £2,073.28 as of 05/24
    Pay off credit card by December 2024 - £392/£2,000
  • CEW
    CEW Posts: 407 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Count me in please.
    That money talks I don't deny, I heard it once, it said "Goodbye"
  • ldee2111
    Options
    Apple, can you add me please? 
    NST 🐢 & MFW 🤸>> MFD was: Jun 2040 MFD now: May 2027. MFD aim: August 2025 FINAL BIG PUSH…
    Savings target 2024: £3,200/£14,180
  • shabbychic12
    Options
    Please add me xx
    Count down to retirement 2023
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,758 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    edited 6 October 2021 at 5:22PM
    Options
    Turtle list:
    1 apple_muncher
    2  Kerry_woman
    3 greent
    4 Deni_debt-free_dreamer
    5 mothernerd
    6 lcc86
    7 CEW
    8 ldee2111
    9 shabbychic12
    10 Calling14
    11 DrCarrie
    12 ditty 1234
    13 Thrifty_Taylor
    14 cybertortoise
    15 leftatthetrafficlights
    16 cuddlymarm
    55 f0xh0les
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure