We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Discuss the "Fibre to the premises (FTTP) broadband explained" guide
Comments
-
From my understanding if you have fttc broadband, that will support digital voice/VOIP connections, ok. EE have a phone handset with 4G backup sim system (if the broadband goes down), maybe they'll just do a standalone system with that if people don't want internet with their phone package.MouldyOldDough said:What happens for those who don't want / need a fibre internet connection - but DO want a phone line ?Will the system cope with that ?
1 -
Timalay said:
From my understanding if you have fttc broadband, that will support digital voice/VOIP connections, ok. EE have a phone handset with 4G backup sim system (if the broadband goes down), maybe they'll just do a standalone system with that if people don't want internet with their phone package.MouldyOldDough said:What happens for those who don't want / need a fibre internet connection - but DO want a phone line ?Will the system cope with that ?Thanks - at what cost ?This is for 90+ year old relatives, who don't understand or need the internet
If I was half as smart as I think I am - I'd be twice as smart as I REALLY am.0 -
Great guide - thanks. Can you include info about the effect of ditching landlines e.g. losing traditional phone number and having to inform multiple businesses/websites about a change of internet address if switching suppliers? Also, I have heard that ‘digital home phones’ May be plugged into a router and used as VOIP handsets - do you have any info on this?
0 -
You need to check what is offered by the provider you are thinking of switching to. When fibre came to my street and I reached the end of my Now contract, I did some shopping around.
My Vodafone router has a phone socket on the back. They ported my number to their service, and without a calls package it costs nothing. I still use my standard phones - a pair of DECT cordless phones with the base station plugged into the router instead of the BT phone socket.
But other providers are different. The local alt-fibre network (which never reached my street before running out of money) offers nothing. Instead you have to sign up with a VoIP provider at a significant cost per month.
If it sticks, force it.
If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
