We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Asking for money for honeymoon at our Wedding

12346»

Comments

  • maman
    maman Posts: 30,858 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 17 August 2021 at 8:18PM
    Pollycat said:
    WOW!
    Saving for a home and they put champagne glasses on their wedding list...
    @Pollycat but I suppose some people would like special gifts that they wouldn't buy for themselves precisely because their own money is going towards more mundane things like a house. Which sort of takes us full circle on gifts of money for 'frivolous' things like a honeymoon or champagne flutes compared with towards a house deposit.

    I expect there are many people who have spent very little on a Covid wedding that now  unexpectedly have money in the bank. 🤔
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 36,582 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    maman said:
    Pollycat said:
    WOW!
    Saving for a home and they put champagne glasses on their wedding list...
    @Pollycat but I suppose some people would like special gifts that they wouldn't buy for themselves precisely because their own money is going towards more mundane things like a house. Which sort of takes us full circle on gifts of money for 'frivolous' things like a honeymoon or champagne flutes compared with towards a house deposit.

    I expect there are many people who have spent very little on a Covid wedding that now  unexpectedly have money in the bank. 🤔
    My emphasis was actually on the 'champagne' rather than glasses (flutes).

    As you say, it takes us full circle and people will still have their views on whether contributing to a honeymoon is what they want to do.
  • MaryNB
    MaryNB Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    maman said:
    Pollycat said:
    WOW!
    Saving for a home and they put champagne glasses on their wedding list...
    @Pollycat but I suppose some people would like special gifts that they wouldn't buy for themselves precisely because their own money is going towards more mundane things like a house. Which sort of takes us full circle on gifts of money for 'frivolous' things like a honeymoon or champagne flutes compared with towards a house deposit.

    I expect there are many people who have spent very little on a Covid wedding that now  unexpectedly have money in the bank. 🤔
    I think it was this but I know them and they're not really into fancy things at all (and definitely not regular champagne drinkers), I think they just got caught up in all the wedding hype. There was loads of stuff on that list that they didn't need (and in my opinion was way overpriced). I think they may have had a a bit of the traditional idea of getting fancy cutlery or crockery as a wedding gift which was more common for my parents' generation. 
  • maman
    maman Posts: 30,858 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    As you know them @MaryNB, then I'm sure you're right about being caught up in the hype. On a more general point though, I don't see anything wrong with putting things on a list that a couple might like to have but wouldn't buy for themselves. A couple might have a home, adequately stocked from IKEA but would really cherish some quality crockery or decent saucepans or knives or a mixer for example. As there will invariably be friends and family that like to buy a gift then having a list available isn't a bad idea just because it's old fashioned. Some guests are old fashioned too! 🤣

    Surely that's why we have this 'dilemma'. because many posters would rather buy a gift than give cash for a honeymoon.


  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 36,582 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    maman said:
    As you know them @MaryNB, then I'm sure you're right about being caught up in the hype. On a more general point though, I don't see anything wrong with putting things on a list that a couple might like to have but wouldn't buy for themselves. A couple might have a home, adequately stocked from IKEA but would really cherish some quality crockery or decent saucepans or knives or a mixer for example. As there will invariably be friends and family that like to buy a gift then having a list available isn't a bad idea just because it's old fashioned. Some guests are old fashioned too! 🤣

    Surely that's why we have this 'dilemma'. because many posters would rather buy a gift than give cash for a honeymoon.


    I'm definitely old fashioned!
    I would much rather buy some quality crockery or decent saucepans or knives or a mixer for example than give a gift of money.
    I'm sure that most - if not all - couples getting married don't have everything in their home that they need/want.
    Being given the option of buying something instead of funding a holiday would appeal to those old fashioned souls like me.
  • A colleague once told me she had a “fake” gift list for her wedding!!!!!  I believe it was at Harrods but this was many years ago so not sure if they still do this…
    Your guests think they are getting you a fancy tea pot or champagne glasses etc. from your “gift list” but instead you are actually getting Harrods vouchers to the value of the total “gifts”…
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 7,543 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    MaryNB said:
    maman said:
    Pollycat said:
    WOW!
    Saving for a home and they put champagne glasses on their wedding list...
    @Pollycat but I suppose some people would like special gifts that they wouldn't buy for themselves precisely because their own money is going towards more mundane things like a house. Which sort of takes us full circle on gifts of money for 'frivolous' things like a honeymoon or champagne flutes compared with towards a house deposit.

    I expect there are many people who have spent very little on a Covid wedding that now  unexpectedly have money in the bank. 🤔
    I think it was this but I know them and they're not really into fancy things at all (and definitely not regular champagne drinkers), I think they just got caught up in all the wedding hype. There was loads of stuff on that list that they didn't need (and in my opinion was way overpriced). I think they may have had a a bit of the traditional idea of getting fancy cutlery or crockery as a wedding gift which was more common for my parents' generation. 
    You can drink things other than champagne out of champagne flutes - cremant, cava, prosecco, 0% fizz, lemonade...

    People who are saving for a deposit don't need to wear hair shirts, perhaps they have several bottles of bubbly that people / work has given them and that they want to enjoy. 

    It's just a gift list, you're free to choose what you'd like to give, or not. Just because you think it is overpriced rubbish, that doesn't mean they have the same opinion.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.