Do you trust CAFCASS??

Options

Do you trust CAFCASS?? 13 votes

Yes
53%
pinkshoes[Deleted User]sassyblueCinders:BrassicWomanGSDMumsquirrelchops2 7 votes
No
23%
Frithhenry24T.T.D 3 votes
100%
7%
Sky_ 1 vote
Definitely not....
15%
Labtec81Archie_Duke 2 votes

Comments

• Labtec81
    Labtec81 Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Definitely not....
    The reason I ask that is I had my first meeting with the cafcass family court advisor the other day who had already met with my ex partner and I never expected him to try and twist what I said to suit his agenda nor did I agree with him saying that because my children haven't seen me for 6 months that perhaps they should just contact me by phone or video calls to start with rather than in the physical sense.... which I completely disagree with....
  • gizmo111
    gizmo111 Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You may disagree with his opinion but he is entitled to voice a way forward.  You have the right of reply through court proceedings if you do not agree with his recommendations.  His agenda will be the safety and wider welfare of the children.
    Mama read so much about the dangers of drinking alcohol and eating chocolate that she immediately gave up reading.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Yes
    Labtec81 said:
    The reason I ask that is I had my first meeting with the cafcass family court advisor the other day who had already met with my ex partner and I never expected him to try and twist what I said to suit his agenda nor did I agree with him saying that because my children haven't seen me for 6 months that perhaps they should just contact me by phone or video calls to start with rather than in the physical sense.... which I completely disagree with....
     Suddenly spending lots of time with a person after zero contact over several months can be very confusing and upsetting for children. They need stability and reassuring the visitor may stay around. The welfare and emotional health of the children is top priority not what you want. Advisor has to take this into account in their Court recommendation.
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Yes
    depends a bit why the six month break and how you've kept in touch during that period, doesn't it?  no contact vs weekly FaceTime / letters and cards feels very different to kids.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Cafcass's role is to look at the Children's welfare, rather than your  or your ex's agenda.

It's pretty common to have a phased introduction / reintroduction of contact where children haven't seen the non-resident parents for a while, especially if there was no indirect contact during that time either.

It may well be appropriate in the circumstances

in what way did the Cafcass reporter twist what was said or have an agenda? Part of their job is to tell you what the other parent's concerns or suggestions are, and it's possible that they misunderstood or were seeking to clarify your points, rather than twisting them.

Have you seen their initial safeguarding letter yet? .

Obviously if you feel that the children would benefit from resuming direct contact straight away you can say so, but bearing in mind that the court will be looking at what is right for the children, you may be better advised to agree to some short-term indirect contact with a view to then progressing quickly to direct contact , and if you think going straight to direct contact is best for the children, be willing to set out why you think so. 

Cafcass reporters are people, so of course it is possible for individuals to be prejudices or to make mistakes, but as a whole, they ae normally pretty good, and are usually quite good about correcting mistakes or misunderstandings where these are made. 
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I wasn't happy with CAFCAS when they dealt with myself and my ex. They seemed biased towards the mother, but that was 20 years ago. I hope they have changed.
  • sassyblue
    sassyblue Posts: 3,783 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes
    Labtec81 said:
    Are you sure he didn’t offer you the chance to have phone or video call contact whilst the court proceedings are ongoing, leading up to proper physical contact?

Are you having any phone contact at the moment?

Happy moneysaving all.
  • gizmo111
    gizmo111 Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sassyblue said:
    Labtec81 said:
    Are you sure he didn’t offer you the chance to have phone or video call contact whilst the court proceedings are ongoing, leading up to proper physical contact?

He can only offer that if the Mother is in agreement with this indirect contact.  He can recommend it to the court as an interim measure until Final Hearing, but only the court can order it.
    Mama read so much about the dangers of drinking alcohol and eating chocolate that she immediately gave up reading.
  • sassyblue
    sassyblue Posts: 3,783 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 June 2021 at 1:35PM
    Options
    Yes
    gizmo111 said:
    sassyblue said:
    Labtec81 said:

He can only offer that if the Mother is in agreement with this indirect contact.  He can recommend it to the court as an interim measure until Final Hearing, but only the court can order it.
    Yes she must have been in agreement because the Caracas officer offered it and the OP refused it…

Happy moneysaving all.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Are you mobile yet or still bedridden.
    Phone / video calls seem reasonable as a starting point in the circumstances.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback