Tesco Clubcard Pay Bank Account

Options
1234568»

Comments

• WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,481 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't have an actual clubcard, just use the debit card. I'm doing a switch . Well, trying to. When the current account gets closed, I've nothing to scan to get points. So, I ordered , through the app, a card. 

It said they'd send this out within a couple of weeks, but it would have a different number. I'm wondering, does this mean I won't be able to use existing vouchers? I've got about £190 worth, some of them valid until August 2023. 

You can still use the existing vouchers - one Clubcard account can have multiple Clubcard numbers (I'm up to about 10 I think now). Any Clubcard associated with the same account will allow the vouchers to be used.

You can use the version of the voucher on the app if you're concerned.

Of course - spending of vouchers directly, with a physical Clubcard, at Tesco, is nearly always a poor use of the points ;)
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 August 2021 at 4:39PM
    Options
    I don't have an actual clubcard, just use the debit card. I'm doing a switch . Well, trying to. When the current account gets closed, I've nothing to scan to get points. So, I ordered , through the app, a card. 

It said they'd send this out within a couple of weeks, but it would have a different number. I'm wondering, does this mean I won't be able to use existing vouchers? I've got about £190 worth, some of them valid until August 2023. 
    They should link all cards under one account, you can even have a joint account.  MrsM and myself between us have 2 clubcards, 4 debit cards and one credit card all linked to the one clubcard account receiving vouchers addressed to Mr & Mrs.  I can see the points total and all vouchers but can only see my own cards points added, likewise MrsM. Apparently they never delete a clubcard so even though the bank card will no longer exist the clubcard will still be shown on your account and all will be linked.

• eastcorkram
    Options
    WillPS said:

You can still use the existing vouchers - one Clubcard account can have multiple Clubcard numbers (I'm up to about 10 I think now). Any Clubcard associated with the same account will allow the vouchers to be used.

Of course - spending of vouchers directly, with a physical Clubcard, at Tesco, is nearly always a poor use of the points ;)
    Wow. Of course . I'd forgotten about scanning the app. 

Agree about spending them in the store , hence why I have such a backlog. I usually get a Railcard with them, but the other things are of little or no interest. So they just mount up, and I usually end up spending the oldest ones , when new ones turn up .
  • molerat
    Options
    WillPS said:

Wow. Of course . I'd forgotten about scanning the app. 

Agree about spending them in the store , hence why I have such a backlog. I usually get a Railcard with them, but the other things are of little or no interest. So they just mount up, and I usually end up spending the oldest ones , when new ones turn up .
    Much the same here.  Most of ours used to be spent on leisure / days out activities, not a lot of that going on over the past couple of years, and very little of anything at all to spend them on in N Scotland - most pulled out a couple of years ago.

• molerat
    edited 13 August 2021 at 6:07PM
    Options
    deejaybee said:
    I'm considering getting one of these Clubcard Pay(+) cards, since we do most of our food shop @ Tescos,  and already make use of the clubcard points scheme ( mainly hotels.com & renewing railcards )

Has it been confirmed yet that you can pay HMRC Self Assessment tax bills with it ?  alas too late for this year....
    I can't see why not as it is just a debit card.  Getting points on those transactions is another matter.

While you can collect Clubcard points on most of your debit card transactions outside of Tesco, there are some exclusions, which include:

• Debit card transactions of £100,000 or more.
    • Refunds.
    • If you use your debit card to pay for bills at banks or other financial institutions.
    • When you use your card to get cash. This includes cashback, in-store cash withdrawals and withdrawing cash at an ATM.
    • If you use your card for gambling, purchasing travel money and buying foreign currency.
    • If you pay funds into savings accounts including NS&I accounts.
    • When you purchase shares or make a deposit into a share-dealing account.

• ZeroSum
    ZeroSum Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    molerat said:
    deejaybee said:
    I'm considering getting one of these Clubcard Pay(+) cards, since we do most of our food shop @ Tescos,  and already make use of the clubcard points scheme ( mainly hotels.com & renewing railcards )

Has it been confirmed yet that you can pay HMRC Self Assessment tax bills with it ?  alas too late for this year....
    I can't see why not as it is just a debit card.  Getting points on those transactions is another matter.

While you can collect Clubcard points on most of your debit card transactions outside of Tesco, there are some exclusions, which include:

• Debit card transactions of £100,000 or more.
    • Refunds.
    • If you use your debit card to pay for bills at banks or other financial institutions.
    • When you use your card to get cash. This includes cashback, in-store cash withdrawals and withdrawing cash at an ATM.
    • If you use your card for gambling, purchasing travel money and buying foreign currency.
    • If you pay funds into savings accounts including NS&I accounts.
    • When you purchase shares or make a deposit into a share-dealing account.
    Doesn't look like it's given me my points on my Vanguard account top up. Looks like it's back to paying from current account whilst I still can as I got them from that.
  • ZeroSum
    ZeroSum Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    molerat said:
    Currently I am struggling to see the value of this account.  It seems nowhere close to replacing a Tesco current account in regards to Tesco points collection.  The blurb states you get 1 point per £ spent in Tesco as the card acts as your clubcard but with a Tesco debit card you get 2 points per £, 1 for the Clubcard and one for the debit card plus 2 points per £ for petrol.
    I hadn't realised this & thought it was same as debit card where you got the extra point. Well that's just rendered it completely redundant. End of October, I'll go back to cashback credit card. In fact I'll probably end up spending more in Sainsbury’s as even though you get half value with nectar, I'm getting more with their credit card & their bonus points are quite good.
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,481 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    ZeroSum said:
    molerat said:
    Currently I am struggling to see the value of this account.  It seems nowhere close to replacing a Tesco current account in regards to Tesco points collection.  The blurb states you get 1 point per £ spent in Tesco as the card acts as your clubcard but with a Tesco debit card you get 2 points per £, 1 for the Clubcard and one for the debit card plus 2 points per £ for petrol.
    I hadn't realised this & thought it was same as debit card where you got the extra point. Well that's just rendered it completely redundant. End of October, I'll go back to cashback credit card. In fact I'll probably end up spending more in Sainsbury’s as even though you get half value with nectar, I'm getting more with their credit card & their bonus points are quite good.
    Nectar Amex credit card is very underrated, especially if you can make use of the yearly double up events (long may they last!)
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I can confirm that you can get a full tank of petrol, up to £99, at Tesco Pay At Pump stations, even if you only have £1 on your Clubcard Pay+ card. They/VISA reserve £1, and your card goes into a negative balance once the actual payment amount gets recorded. This is sometime within 24 hours of your purchase. I don't know whether and how quickly Tesco chase you for the overdrawn amount as I settled mine.

However: This is unlikely to last much longer.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback