🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Gimme some kitchen envy...!

Options

Comments

• Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 6,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    edited 8 August 2022 at 2:21PM
    Options
    Rosa it’s fantastic!
    lots of natural light, great vision!

All these windows - and I've just noticed the sky lantern!
    Awww, maaaaan.

Was this a purpose-built extension for the kitchen, Rosa, or was there always a room with all these windows?
    Purpose built. The skinny double garage came down, and the extension went up! Next door is a utility room with a window to the front and double French doors out to the garden. I can close off the kitchen and lobby doors, and this separation of rooms to the outdoors was important to create my laundry room. It also house my boiler, manifold and large cupboards to accommodate all my cleaning and hardware.

I am very lucky to have the space to play with, and the ability to fund it.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • Bendy_House
    Bendy_House Posts: 4,756 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It is fab. A dream.
  • liberty_lily
    liberty_lily Posts: 596 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 12 September 2022 at 11:40AM
    Options
    Thanks for the update 🙂 It's a nice bright space, although I'm afraid the strange stepped island/breakfast bar thing wouldn't be my choice....it looks a bit of a hotch potch, imho.
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Options
    2 years on, I have finally had my patio sorted. It's a beautiful suntrap throughout the day and as soon as it was completed all memories of our long hard winters evaporated B)

The garden is recovering bit by bit and I am very happy with my remodelled home! Have worked so hard to get there and finally feel that I can take my foot off the pedal. Life at 50 is going to be good :)

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,893 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Very Smart! Looks lovely! 

Our back garden is nearly there. DH has started a stream but we forgot about a close-enough outdoor socket for the pump so we're waiting for the electrician!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Options
    Very Smart! Looks lovely! 

Our back garden is nearly there. DH has started a stream but we forgot about a close-enough outdoor socket for the pump so we're waiting for the electrician!
    Post pics when done please? Yours has been a much bigger project than mine!

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Rosa_Damascena said: The garden is recovering bit by bit and I am very happy with my remodelled home! Have worked so hard to get there and finally feel that I can take my foot off the pedal. Life at 50 is going to be good :)
    Eyesight starts going, joints begin to ache, the marbles make a move for the exit - Make the most of it while you can. Get some comfy loungers for the patio, and you'll be able to enjoy the space for a few more years.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • greensalad
    greensalad Posts: 2,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This thread is making me dream hard.

We inherited a 25 year old (possibly older), poor condition kitchen. Laminate coming off everywhere, chewed drawer corners (not the worst now we've got a chewy puppy too!), water leaks blowing the MDF in various places. The only thing it really has going for it is that the layout is excellent. I basically want to replicate it, although flipping the space so we can fit our big fridge freezer in.

But it really is the worst room in our house. They didn't even bother to paint around the fridge area, or the skirting boards. So now that we don't keep the fridge in the same spot we have horrible raw concrete and plaster with half-painted knotty pine skirting boards exposed. It's just awful. 

I have my dream kitchen in my head already. Slab walnut face-frame doors on the bottom, white euro-slim quartz countertop. Plaster-pink backsplash tiles. Mid-blue grain-showing cupboard doors up top. Under cabinet lighting, a wooden peninsula for baking and pizza making. Wine fridge! 

One can dream!
  • moneysaver1978
    Options
    Looks beautiful - congratulations!

Would love to see the process of how you designed the kitchen, getting planning permission, and building! :wink:
  • jonnydeppiwish!
    jonnydeppiwish! Posts: 1,239 Forumite
    First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Our last 3 in order following too many years of military kitchens!

2006 LBM £28,000+ in debt.
    2021 mortgage and debt free, working part time and living the dream
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family