Car Sickness - Dog

in Pets & Pet Care
63 replies 35.4K views

Replies

• suki1964suki1964 Forumite
    14.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as that bedding doesnt bunch at one end of the crate it should be fine.

Another thing - is keep the speed steady. Hubby drives too fast and the dog is a wreck in his car. Mine hes as good as gold in and often jumps in the boot just cos he can
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    43.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    suki1964 wrote: »
    As long as that bedding doesnt bunch at one end of the crate it should be fine.
    If the bedding slips within the crate, then I'd suggest some of that non-slip stuff you can put under carpets or on trays.

This is sort of what I mean, from Lakeland. But we have a much wider roll of it which I think came from a Pound shop, ages ago. It's black and can be cut to size.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • PaparikaPaparika Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    If the bedding slips within the crate, then I'd suggest some of that non-slip stuff you can put under carpets or on trays.

This is sort of what I mean, from Lakeland. But we have a much wider roll of it which I think came from a Pound shop, ages ago. It's black and can be cut to size.

good thinking savvy_sue although the mat fits good, it will still slip a little as if he is on the front or back seat, the angle of the cage means he isn't level.

I don't race around, only been driving for 2 1/2 years so i still stick to the speed limit.

may put him back in the boot again so the create is flat.
    Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?
  • catkinscatkins Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Paparika, I know you say you have tried my method but as Perry is only 8 months old can I ask how long you did this for?

I don't mean to be rude but it does take a long time - longer than a few months but is worth it. Just the sitting in the car I did every day for about 2 weeks and built up from there. Each step should be done for at least a week.

I know it sounds a pain but honestly if you put in the time I am sure it will work. As a previous poster said, it is the method recommended by the RSPCA.
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • supermezzosupermezzo Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    As above, it does take time ( my OH ended up in the boot with one of ours to reassure and praise it and make it a good place to be).
    You might like to try simply putting the dog in the crate in the car with no fuss, no tablets etc with a favourite toy/bear/chew and literally driving 10 yards down the road, getting the dog out before its sick and making the biggest fuss ever (similar to the 'you've wee'd in the garden not the lounge' fuss). Then try 20 yards etc.... That way the dog associates good stuff with the car, not the feeling sick.
    It aint over til I've done singing....
    2.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    supermezzo wrote: »
    As above, it does take time ( my OH ended up in the boot with one of ours to reassure and praise it and make it a good place to be).
    You might like to try simply putting the dog in the crate in the car with no fuss, no tablets etc with a favourite toy/bear/chew and literally driving 10 yards down the road, getting the dog out before its sick and making the biggest fuss ever (similar to the 'you've wee'd in the garden not the lounge' fuss). Then try 20 yards etc.... That way the dog associates good stuff with the car, not the feeling sick.

unfortunately i do that virtually everyday, but the minute we get to go on a proper journey thats it, it's pot luck if he will be ok or not. But...

Today we drugged pup, 3 hours later sprayed OH's car with DAC left it half hour, put pup in his crate in the car, then.... we covered the crate...

Pup led down most of the journey, only whimpered a lil when OH when around corners and pup was forced to stand up and slide a lil..

But he wasn't sick. so this weekend need to go get that anti slip stuff and *fingers crossed we might have cured him :T:T
  • CrossyCrossy Forumite
    226 Posts
    Sorry to butt in on this threat, but I have the same sort of problem, my 1 year old beagle sits absolutely still in the back seat, but dribbles constantly - almost as soon as he gets in the car.

Drool is everywhere in the car, I can I stop this?

thanks
    2.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Crossy wrote: »
    Sorry to butt in on this threat, but I have the same sort of problem, my 1 year old beagle sits absolutely still in the back seat, but dribbles constantly - almost as soon as he gets in the car.

Drool is everywhere in the car, I can I stop this?

thanks

mine drools that when you know the sickie bit is coming, is he happy in the car? getting in etc..
  • CrossyCrossy Forumite
    226 Posts
    He is very reluntant to get in, and when he does, he just stares straight ahead, and no amount of stroking of talking to him can distract him.

I would love to be able to take him on long journeys, but don't won't to "dope" him uo every time:rolleyes:
    2.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Crossy wrote: »
    He is very reluntant to get in, and when he does, he just stares straight ahead, and no amount of stroking of talking to him can distract him.

I would love to be able to take him on long journeys, but don't won't to "dope" him uo every time:rolleyes:

I understand what you saying, i wish i could stop it, might try the journey back home to me with no tablet, i'm not happy giving them to him, I'd rather he enjoyed his journeys.

How about just sitting in the car, engine off and giving him treats, favourite toy, be prepared to sit there for a good half hour each time
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides