Car Sickness - Dog

in Pets & Pet Care
63 replies 35.3K views
nuttywomannuttywoman Forumite
2.2K Posts
1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
He quite happily jumps in but , alas, can`t go very far.We`d love to be able to take him out with us sometimes but its not on.
We`ve got one of those pet seat covers to protect the seating, good job too!
Anybody any ideas?thanks
val;)

Replies

• chaliepudchaliepud Forumite
    398 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Hi

Have you tried very gradually increasing the distances you go? Keeping windows open, putting the dog in a different (but safe) area of the car, not feeding before trip, is he stressed in the car (panting, pacing) or over excited?

We have the opposite problem, one of our dogs hates the car - he gets claustrophobic, couldn't even crate him as a pup! Don't laugh, it's true!

H
  • Liz19Liz19 Forumite
    673 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Our dog used to be very car sick and we got her travel pills from the vet which worked well. We gradually tried her without them and bought her a dog seat belt for the back seat (she used to travel in the very rear of the car) which she loves and she is no longer sick.
  • AussieLassAussieLass Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    My small dog no matter what we do still get's car sick. Just recently at my vet I was talking to a lady who breeds dogs. She told me the best natural thing to cure dog sickness & she's been doing it for years - is to give the dog about 1 teas honey melted in a bit of warm water (then let cool) about 1/2hr before travel. I haven't tried it as yet but I am definatly going to next time we venture out in the car. HTH. A lot cheaper if it works than pills.
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• One of my terriers was happy to do car journeys but was always, always sick. I easily trained her to jump down into the footwell when she was about to be sick, vomit on newspaper I'd put there, and then jump back onto my lap or the front seat. It didn't bother her one little bit, and I didn't have an unecessarily medicated dog.
  • RakshaRaksha Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    With most things dogwise, if you know *why* they are doing it, you can solve the problem. With travel sickness there can be so many reasons :( Opposite to humans, dogs are often disorientated by things moving past, so getting the dog to travel in the foot well, or in a covered crate can help. Many people swear by ginger biscuits. You might want to look at your driving habits too - cornering and breaking too violently.... Has the dog had a bad experience in the car (doubtful if they jump in happily)

HTH
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • Gingham_RibbonGingham_Ribbon Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya, nuttywoman.

I think your post will get more responses on Discussion Time. I will move it over now for you.

Good luck with your poorly pooch.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • nuttywomannuttywoman Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for your advice, thing is we don`t know how he reacted before we got him, he`s a rescue dog, 4yrs old, and had about 4 other owners before us, don`t know why cos he`s a cracking little pal.
    We`ve thought a lot of it is the cars suspension, its a almera, rubbish suspension, daughter does`nt like travelling in there either.
    val
  • Gingham_RibbonGingham_Ribbon Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my terriers was happy to do car journeys but was always, always sick. I easily trained her to jump down into the footwell when she was about to be sick, vomit on newspaper I'd put there, and then jump back onto my lap or the front seat. It didn't bother her one little bit, and I didn't have an unecessarily medicated dog.
    Wow! Now if I could just train my cats to jump through the cat flap before they do the fur ball thing...
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • suki1964suki1964 Forumite
    14.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any chance of borrowing a crate and trying him in the boot? (dont know if its a hatchback) My lad is a mess if hes in the back seat but is fine in the boot, in a crate with a towel over the top so he cant see out. I know when I get car sick its from sitting in the back looking out of the passenger windows, Im fine if I close my eyes and sleep
  • nelly_2nelly_2
    17.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Help my master keeps putting me in their car and its makes me sick

yours sinserly, Dog :)

sincerly
    sinsearly
    cinsearly
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides