Car Sickness - Dog

in Pets & Pet Care
63 replies 35.4K views

Replies

• KarbKarb Forumite
    835 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    The only time my dog goes in the car is when I take the family to stay with the wicked witch aka my stepmother - its a journey of 3 - 4 hours.

The first time we went she was sick in both directions, so ever since we've given her travel sickness pills, hidden inside pieces of ham or cheese, and we've had no problems since.
    Debt free since December 2015. It can be done

• Ive got a 2 year old rescue dog who suffers with terrible car sickness. We can literally be in the car for 10 mins and she is ill. We are due to go to the Cotswolds in April and I was wondering if you had any advice? Thanks PF
  • withabixwithabix Forumite
    9.5K Posts
    Don't feed dog at all on the day of the journey until you arrive.

Our cocker is OK on journeys now. She used to barf on bendy roads or if we went round a roundabout. We could drive 200 miles down the motorway on a regular trip, but could preduct to within a few seconds the point at which she would be sick when we left the motorway and went round the roundabout at the junction!
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • wilkies5wilkies5 Forumite
    166 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    :p the best way to get your dog used to being in the back of your car is to take 10 mins each day to play with your dog - in & out of the car . Even put it's bedding in the boot and drive a couple of mins each time.

Maybe, if it's a greedy dog (and will eat anywhere) put it's meals in there.

Over time - and before your holiday - the dog will come to accept that that the car is just an extension of home.
    You're just loking to reduce the dog's anxiety levels.

keep persevering....you'll get there. Give plenty of praise and reassuring words.

Good luck!
    Wilkies5
  • supermezzosupermezzo Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    Ours was really bad, and indeed would drool if we even walked past our car outside, but was fine with others. We didn't like the car anyway so eventually bought a new one not long ago.
    In the meantime, try putting the dog into the car and sitting in it with her (if there's room) and playing with her/reassuring her, maybe having a new special toy just for in the car. Make a big fuss of how clever she is etc then take her back into the house. Then extend this once shes comfy with it to a teeny trip to somewhere really good, like the park.
    I'd be careful feeding her in the car unless food is her 'motivation' as a full tummy coupled with a nervous car-sick puppy is not a good idea!
    Oh, and ours is still a little drooly if the car gets too warm, for some reason so try to keep the car reasonably cool and ventilated.
    And we still carry wipes and poo bags and a spare rug for the boot of the car, just in case.
    It aint over til I've done singing....
  • Try and keep her calm. get her to sit in the car when it's not moving etc, anything so she learns to stop getting wound up in the car.

It may be simply that it's habit to be sick in the car!

On the day of the journey I'd give her half a slice of toast or a small handful of dry food about 2 hours before you set off. Having an empty stomach can make many dogs sick anyway. It's trial and error unfortunately.

You can get travel sickness tablets from pet shops, again they work for some.

Keep the car cool and well ventilated. Regular stops to let her out and stretch her legs.
  • RakshaRaksha Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    How you cure this really depends on *why* she's being sick. Some dogs suffer with motion sickness (so drive more consideratly?) Some get over excited (covering the windows so they can't see out, or putting them in the foot well can help). Some are simply terrified - desensitising them by feeding them by and or in the car while it's stationary and playing games (don't 'reassure' as this isn't understood by dogs, they don't reassure each other, they give each other confidence by their positive attitude).

HTH
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • katy2katy2 Forumite
    148 Posts
    I took on a 2yo rescue dog, well I rescued it while I worked at a vets, it came in as an RTA and although we had a good idea who he belonged to, the owners wouldn't claim him, with vets bill hanging over his head. Sorry I have digressed.

He was terribly car sick when I first got him, ten minutes into the jorney and he was sick. He did get fully cured though quite quickly, I took him for regular journeys, always to something he would like, walk, the beach, but ALWAYS on an empty stomach. I didn't take long and he became a happy, non sick traveller.

Best of luck.
  • Any product formulated for dogs which contains valerian is supposed to help, try http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=149_150 [sorry I haven't mastered inserting links yet!] for more info, or any of the on-line vet supply companies for price comparison.
  • CrossyCrossy Forumite
    226 Posts
    Now my beagle is bigger, we have gated our estate car and made it quite cosy for long journeys.

However we have tried him for short trips and he is sick everytime, do dogs get travel sick?

He also seems to dribble uncontrollably in the car. We have booked a log cabin in Lincolnshire that takes dogs, but are now worried about him travelling this far.

Is there anything I could give him? I don't want to make him dopey.

Thanks everyone
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

£10-£50 London theatre tickets

For over 45 shows in January and February

MSE Deal

Join the 1p Savings Challenge 2022!

It should help you save £667.95

MSE Forum