in Pets & Pet Care
63 replies 35.4K views

Replies

• PaparikaPaparika Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Dont forget the crate - still use that because its the safest way to transport a pet but put some non slip matting down to stop pup sliding around and cover the top and sides of crate so pup cant see things moving past him - helps with motion sickness

I always prefer his crate, just for his safety, but covering it so he can't see is something i haven't thought of. But i will certainly give it a go, anyone know a cheap place to buy a cheap black sheet?

catkins wrote: »
    When I collected my dog as a puppy we had a 5 hour journey with him to take him home. Obviously we stopped as much as possible but the poor boy was horrendously sick and also messed himself.

I guess this put him off car journeys so he would literally shake anywhere near the car. If we took him out in it he was always sick and would cry.

What worked for him took a while but it was basically to start off with him just sitting in the car. Didn't even start the engine just sat there stroking him and praising him, maybe giving him a small treat. Did this several time. Then sat in the car and started the engine, again stroking, praising etc. After a few times of that moved the car just literally yards. We built up from that and not only did the car not scare him he became a really good traveller. We can travel long distances and he is never sick. He will look out the window or lay down and often sleeps (he travels on the back seat) for a lot of the journey.

I have recommended this way to several friends and it has always worked so may be worth trying. As I say, it is a bit of a slow process but so worth it.

Oh i've been through this, and spent months doing it, still he gets sick, but onwards and upwards
    Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?
  • suki1964suki1964 Forumite
    14.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just use an old towel to cover the top and just a way down a bit of the crate - dont completely cover him in. You just want so that when hes lying down he cant see the trees/lamposts/fences etc rushing past him if you see what I mean. I myself get indcredibly car sick if Im not driving and find it easier to keep my eyes closed rather then seeing motion
    2.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    suki1964 wrote: »
    I just use an old towel to cover the top and just a way down a bit of the crate - dont completely cover him in. You just want so that when hes lying down he cant see the trees/lamposts/fences etc rushing past him if you see what I mean. I myself get indcredibly car sick if Im not driving and find it easier to keep my eyes closed rather then seeing motion

Yup i see what you mean, will give that a go *fingers crossed
  • I rang RSPCA about advise as what to do with my rotty cross shepherd as she does not like travelling either. They gave the same advise as CATKINS and eventually it works but you have to get in to the habit of doing it every day with out fail because we found even a week without taking her in the car starts it all of again and we had to start from scratch.

When we asked the vets advise we were told theres plenty of tablets on the shelves or if its severe enough we can jab the dog but its gonna cost and can do it a max of twice a year and didnt seem to want to know, so would highly recommend investing in patience and trying the above suggestion.
    :j Was married 2nd october 2009 to the most wonderful man possible:j

DD 1994, DS 1996 AND DS 1997

Lost 3st 5lb with Slimming world so far!!
    2.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    yeah my vet offered a sedative but i would still need to get him in the car and get him there.

Gonna try the cover the crate trick and one sealegs and see how he copes
  • My pup Roxie is the same, shes just turned 1yr.

We tried a cage, loose everything from tablets to cages to just her sat in the boot. All of them she seemed 2 panick and throw up everywhere!

We solved it by getting some weak tablets from the vet that just settles her stomach rather then making her sleepy. If we no were going on a 2hrs journey we give her a tablet and take her for a long walk. She then gets in the car and sits on the back seat with someone. She then learnt that if she sits down and lays across the person in the backs knee that she doesnt get sick. But the odd occasion does arrise when she needs to be sick. But we always have a plastic bag ready in the back and as her stomach tenses we get the bag ready and shes now learnt to be sick in the bag if she needs to be.

She 85% of the time sits well and is now fine without tablets for about a 30min car journey (usually to the vet).

We also took her different places in the car as her sickness cud have been something to do with her knowing she was going to the vet. So we would take her (and still do) to dog shows and huge parks and walks and now shes not too bothered about getting in the car.

hope that helps x
    I'm getting married in August 2015
    :j
  • We used to give our old dog who had travel problems a ginger biscuit about half an hour before the journey, its supposed to settle their tum. It seemed to ease the problem , but really we only ever took him small journeys
    Kath
    2.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    kathryn196 wrote: »
    We used to give our old dog who had travel problems a ginger biscuit about half an hour before the journey, its supposed to settle their tum. It seemed to ease the problem , but really we only ever took him small journeys
    Kath

done it, he doesn't like ginger biscuits now, not even lil dog treats with a hint of ginger in them
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    43.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    snowman2 wrote: »
    What worked for my dog was to give her a bean bag. It gave her some extra stability in the car and stopped the car sickness overnight
    Paparika wrote: »
    he has a cage which is behind the passenger seat and wedged so it cannot move, but he can still slide a lil in the cage.

so forget the cage and try beanbag?
    I'm wondering if a small bean bag or cushion inside the crate would help? Or as someone else suggested a non-slip mat inside the crate?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
    2.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    I'm wondering if a small bean bag or cushion inside the crate would help? Or as someone else suggested a non-slip mat inside the crate?

This is his crate http://www.petsathome.com/find/category-is-2+dog/category-is-2l+travel/category-is-2l02+crates+and+accessories/product-is-V00083

This is his bedding in there http://www.petsathome.com/find/product-is-V00096
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

£10-£50 London theatre tickets

For over 45 shows in January and February

MSE Deal

Join the 1p Savings Challenge 2022!

It should help you save £667.95

MSE Forum