Must try harder!

Comments

• WinterWarrior
    WinterWarrior Posts: 5,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Thank you @LittleMissDetermined I appreciate you stopping by and your lovely encouragement x
    Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R.Tolkien
    🌊 A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor 🌊
    2024 challenges - (1) £8k savings challenge = £900 so far (2) 1 stone weight reduction = 1lb so far
    My WW and friends diary is here 😁 … 
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6259606/must-try-harder/p1

• Naomim
    Naomim Posts: 3,117 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You're doing brilliantly. I'm cheering you on as my efforts seem to elude me at the moment and I love your positive attitude 💙

My poor dog is currently sitting in the kitchen wondering why his food bowl is on the counter and not flown down to him full of food. He's being so picky I've had to make some gravy to add to it but he cant eat it too hot.  Oh the eyes! 

I hope you have a lovely day off tomorrow. 

Naomim 
    Credit Cards NOV 2019 £33,220.42 Sept 2023 £19,951.00 Tilly Tidy 20223/COLOR] Sept £43.71 Here's my diary: A Ditherer's Diary Again
  • WinterWarrior
    Thanks @Naomim. Have you tried a sprinkle of grated cheese? Mine would eat an old boot with a sprinkle of cheese on 😁 she’s not so bothered about gravy though (unless it’s on our food, then all bets are off).
    I had a horribly long day full of calls and finance shenanigans. How come having a day off always means working later to try and get ahead so you can leave? 
    I’ve managed another NSD so far and the book is looking ok so far, I shall read more later. 
    I’m hoping my enthusiasm will last me for the rest of my life...or at least until everything is paid up. I’m hoping next month will be more fun when I have some virtual money to count and some much needed spending money!  
    2024 challenges - (1) £8k savings challenge = £900 so far (2) 1 stone weight reduction = 1lb so far

• Naomim
    I think the pup has trouble with kibble so the gravy is to soften it. He had a damaged nerve in his face last year. I thought he'd had a stroke as he face went all lopsided but it appears not. He cant blink his left eye and I think chewing is a struggle sometimes.  He turns his nose up at wet food though.  They dont half put us through it! 

I spent the afternoon doing my personal banking. I'm drowning in work so sort of think one afternoon isn't going to make much difference 🤷‍♀️.

Glad you are enjoying the book. I sometimes get free ones on my kindle. Think its prime lending. I've had some great ones I wouldn't necessarily have chosen.  

Keep going with the nsd's.  I have the princely sum of £3 in my personal spending account but get paid tomorrow.  Thank God I dont have a heavy social life 😂
    Credit Cards NOV 2019 £33,220.42 Sept 2023 £19,951.00 Tilly Tidy 20223/COLOR] Sept £43.71 Here's my diary: A Ditherer's Diary Again
  • WinterWarrior
    I have £20 but it’s to last until the 30th 😳
    I love doing my banking and paying and allocating on pay day, but generally by the end of week one I’m raiding the pots and scrabbling around. I’m hoping the set spends per week gets me out of that habit. I’m already in a better position than normal which should help. I’ve just been watching money saving people on you tube to keep me on track (Dave r, debt kickin mom, etc.), they are VERY American, but still most things convert to a quieter British way...could you imagine many of us lining up to do a debt free scream on tv? Goodness no dear, the neighbours might realise what a state we were in 😮 😬
    Your poor pup, but honestly why would he want wet food when he can’t chew? That wouldn’t make any sense at all! 
    I struggle with book lending, even when I can borrow them again...there’s something about owning something I really can’t get past...it’s knowing it’s all mine that makes the difference. Luckily some of the cheap and free ones are still good. I like paranormal fiction and fantasy, rather than real life and that’s in plentiful supply on the cheaper end, as well as the dearer bigger names. 
    I’m with you on the social life...I didn’t have much of one even before COVID 🤣

• elbree
    elbree Posts: 395 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Well done on the NSDs! I managed one today but that's only about 4 this month 🤦. April feels like a long month right now...
  • WinterWarrior
    Thanks @elbree. I think I’m on NSD8 today, but that’s a combination of determination and necessity. I don’t think I normally manage 1. I’ve been hovering around this path for many years watching all you wonderful people, but it’s the first time I’ve managed to buckle down for any length of time (and I realise it’s not been long at all yet). Losing my dad made me have a good long think. It’s like I finally realised there isn’t always a safety net 😢
    April is indeed a very, very long month...it’s panning out like January was, at least 60 days, maybe more 🤣
    Today is a lovely day off work, the light is bright through the curtains and I haven’t got up yet! Poor Mr WW is working today, he’s been sighing a lot and is now loudly making me coffee...what a star ⭐️ 
    I hope you all have wonderful no spend/low spend days, that your work is light (or avoidable) and that we all get a step closer to our goals...happy Friday ☀️

• WinterWarrior
    Happy Saturday ☀️
    Nothing to report on the spending front. I am holding fast, but life feels a bit boring with nothing to buy or look forward to. Next month will hopefully be better when I can count my pots like Scrooge McDuck...at the moment I’m looking longingly at the pennies and feeling more like Oliver Twist or some suitable poverty stricken street urchin...
    Sigh!
    we went into town yesterday to pick up a prescription for Mr WW and we decided against collecting a takeaway...I’m even saving money when I wouldn’t be doing the spending, so that’s a positive. Dog came with us as I was driving (she’s not allowed in Mr WW’s car...I love my car a lot, but I love dog more than my rear leather seats 🤣. I have a hammock cover that protects the worst of it). I put the back window down a bit when it’s nice and she lays there sniffing the country smells 🐕‍🦺
    This morning I was in the garden at 6.30 as dog needed a wee...she’s getting a bit old now ☹️
    Fingers crossed for another no spend day...I am hoping to find some joy in something to keep me entertained as yesterday was a bit ‘meh’ for a day off 😖
    happy weekend everyone ⭐️

• Naomim
    It's hard to adjust and unlearn spending habits at first, but things do get better and easier. Next month when you have your spending money, make sure you give yourself a little treat. I have an eating out pot.  I put £60 a month in and its a takeaway or two paid for. Little things, like a coffee out with a friend or a wander round the garden centre.

Naomim 
  • WinterWarrior
    That’s a good idea too....maybe I need to make a new pot 🤔. takeaways aren’t a big temptation as no one delivers to our village, but when the world returns to normal there may be more weekend lunches out. We don’t have real garden centres up here either! There’s one small garden centre about 20 miles away, but it’s tiny...no coffee shop, no pet section, no water features, etc. It’s basically a small shop and a small outdoor bit with a few plants and trees. I used to love the big centres.
    my spending money will be all treats really, hopefully having a set amount a week will make me think a bit harder about each purchase...although mostly it will be books and sweets 🍫 and craft things.  I have plenty of nice clothes I don’t get to wear, so I haven’t bought new for quite some time. 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport